BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE | Page 179 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Ensnare, Jun 10, 2021.

1. “All Up In Your Mind” should be track 1.

myblood, lushLuck, Wishlight and 4 others like this.
  2. I'm only a part way through this album but let me just say i'm really glad they didn't bother to go with under-3 minute "streaming length" cuts.

3. Cuz those Karens just turned into terrorists.

Oop!

sesita, myblood, RainOnFire and 27 others like this.
  4. Fuck I’m so jealous reading these reviews.

How fucking exciting!

Sleepycat and Maria like this.
  5. Can we talk about the last min or so of Heated. She snapped

GLC, superultra, Wishlight and 5 others like this.
  6. Hmm Plastic Off The Sofa is that breezy, happy-go-lucky, comfortable-in-my-own-skin BOP.

7. Pure / Honey.

That's it.

myblood, Sam, Jacques and 12 others like this.
  8. Pure/Honey and Summer Renaissance are gold.

myblood, VertigoStick, Sam and 5 others like this.
  9. The completely random, unexplained vocal pitching in Thique. She's in her Prince bag.

sesita, myblood, Mr Blonde and 12 others like this.
  10. 1. Alot of the songs are unexpected considering this is Beyoncé. There was a time where any Black woman r&b singer even delving too much into Pop was taboo, so to see her blending so many dance sounds that she hasn't touched as much before is super exciting.
    EDIT: Additionally I think Beyoncé has always saved her genre blending references and chaotic layering for her live performances. But with this album straight out of the gate, the songs do not care about typical melodies, or easy to follow verse chorus verse bridge chorus structure. Each song is a journey in itself that feels like the joy of being on the dancefloor where everything is luscious and expansive.

Alien Superstar is both nostalgiac, futuristic, and has no true throughline expected chorus.
    Energy has a few nice twists in the productions and feels like fun Afrobeats/House with hints of Basement Jaxx before becoming a precursor to Break My Soul.
    MOVE evokes the energy of My Power *and* Independent Women Part II *and* Vanity6.
    HEAT isn't as off the wall, but has some very fun Beyoncé doing Vogue commentator esque chanting.
    All Up In Your Mind isn't the most genre bending, but unexpected pulsing brooding energy for a Beyoncé song. It's giving 6 Inch's jaded auntie meets early Bjork at the stripclub.
    PURE/HONEY feels like four songs in one with alot of production switchups that almost feel like a history of Black Queer dance music in 5 minutes.

2. Lyrically the album has alot of fun, comedic, tiktok ready one-liners about the dancefloor, beauty, pleasure, and the body. But I think what's most enjoyable is that lyrically it's both dense and lighthearted at the same time. In the same song about sex and coochie skills (that's a bit standard from Raponcé or a song from self titled), you might get a moment of insight that feels closer to a line from Lemonade. It's all over the place in a good way that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    sesita, myblood, LPT and 29 others like this.
  11. All up in your mind is insaaaaaneeee!!! Damn B! This album is *chefs kiss*!

12. The way I remember listening to 4 and thinking she will never top this. And then she did.

The way I remember listening to BEYONCÉ and thinking she will never top this. And then she did.

The way I remember listening to Lemonade and thinking she will never top this. And then she motherfucking did.

The trajectory that this woman is on. The career that this woman has had. The music that this woman has made! The best to ever do it. The best to ever do it. I am lost for words.

sesita, myblood, GLC and 35 others like this.
  13. I'm on Alien Superstar and... I'm feeling pretty confident this might be her best album yet.

14. About 3/4s of the way through and it's like an amalgamation of Self-Titled and The Gift. It's also everything Drake thought he did across his last few albums.

I'm continually impressed with her commitment to innovating and carving out her own lane.

15. Virgo's Groove... how dare she. We are so lucky to have her.

16. The way this album is preventing me from going to sleep.

release your job indeed

lushLuck likes this.
  17. 100% this!!!
    I also think what helps is not only the quality control, but that all of these albums inhabit their own world and don't step on any other albums toes. It's what makes ranking her discography so difficult.

For instance I can imagine some people HATING this album, if they are looking exclusively for ballad or neo-soul Beyoncé. But if you have a diverse enough music taste, I think this album will sit right there with Lemonade, Beyonce, 4, and B'Day, simply because they are operate so differently in their own world.

myblood, GLC, FINISH LINE and 9 others like this.
  18. Excuse the stan goggles but I could see Tinashe on a lot of these songs. And Chloe and Halle, but I imagine that's Bey's direct influence.

19. Reminds me of Madonna and first-half of Janet's career a bitsy. She really said people don't make albums anymore!!

myblood, LPT, SlowGinFizzzz and 4 others like this.
  20. OH WAAAAAAIT, “America Has a Problem” made several points. She didn’t have to put this and “All Up in Your Mind” back to back.

myblood, VertigoStick, Andrew and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.