BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE | Page 93 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Ensnare, Jun 10, 2021.

1. But you should, because although she certainly works hard, she doesn't always respect that fact that others work just as hard when she asks them to work for her for free, or when she crosses a picket line to throw a party at the Chateau Marmont.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rty-celebrity-activism-oscars-chateau-marmont

I know we've all grown accustomed to the level of hypocrisy that millionaire/billionaire regime singers like Beyonce (and Lady Gaga, and J.Lo, and Katy Perry, etc) exhibit—flimsy political theatre is their preferred medium—but we should ALL be glad that what once seemed like an impenetrable façade is starting to crack and that her and her husband are rightfully being challenged for the emptiness of their political gestures (both here and increasingly in media). This is maybe less a critique of her and more of the way people perceive, or overpraise her work. Her actions, like those of all 1 percenters, tell a very different story and we don't have to lie to ourselves about who she is. Release yourself!

2. Mm I pretty much agree with all of this, but I'm more making the point that I don't find this song's 9 to 5 lyrics that out of touch since she, objectively, works and works hard.

That said, I'm not really looking to Bey for politics. But if you want to go there, I'd argue the song has cultural impact beyond her individual actions and its ethos is probably a net positive for labor.

Rei Ayanami, huntypoo and LGStan93 like this.
  3. I think what I love most about this is Beyoncé’s joy in the vocal. She’ll always be held to an impossible standard cause she’s a Black woman leading the culture and she won’t apologize for being Black, being a Black woman, and being excellent. I know house/dance has been coming back but I don’t think any of the girls captured the euphoria of House Music like Bey already has. It’s also funny to me how at every turn someone wants to bring her down or call her a flop but she just keeps winning. From Run the World to “she doesn’t chart anymore” to the blatant racism she faced during Lemonade (remember when cops boycotted “protecting” her shows?), there’s a lot of fellow white pop music fans who want to see her torn down. But guess what:
    YOU WON’T BREAK MY SOUL!!!!!!!!

myblood, Dijah., blissteria and 11 others like this.
  4. I know that Find your way back isn't really house as it is afrobeat, but ever since I heard that song I wanted her to dive into house music. I feel blessed that she did. She truly sounds amazing doing it. God, I'm so excited for this album.

[​IMG]

5. So well said.

6. I really like this. It reminds me of the music in the movie Climax.

7. Sis she's Hive until the day she dies, even if she sometimes does a little out her range dd.

Less Kevin Gates talking about urine and more Zara getting her life!

eatyourself and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  8. This is typical cig-like behavior, but is anyone else having a hard time listening to this without tearing up nn? This is feeding my soul.

9. I can’t at people spending years begging big pop girls to make house/dance music and when they do they wanna tear it down with cheap takes. Umm…

10. I apologize, I should've been more specific and said "overpraise her work specifically on a political basis". Like most reasonable people I think that she is without a doubt one of the greatest entertainers that has ever lived. That's not up for debate. I just meant that she often receives adulation on the basis of (rather shallow) politics, and that such a tendency often masks a reality that's clearly at odds with the praise. Such delusions benefit no one.

11. Yep, I just went out to observe the prolonged light of a summer solstice evening on a walk (before the nasty descent towards darkness in the UK begins) and everything felt shockingly life-affirming for 4m 38s x 9 repeats.

12. Ah I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees the summer solstice in the same gloomy way.

Dijah., 1991, Sam and 6 others like this.
  13. @Vasilios thank you for sharing your playlist cause it is powering me through Kindergarten Graduation Eve! Stuffing gift bags full of crayons, I Can Read books and hot wheel cars while blasting Let Me Be Your Underwear feels like unlocking a new level of my most authentic self dd

K94, huntypoo and QueenB like this.
  14. Me watching the Charlie XCX and Gaga Stans get torn to shreds on twitter for trying it with Beyonce of all people.

[​IMG]

-M-, Mr.Arroz, matthew. and 7 others like this.
  15. Ok, but keep streaming used to know me x

16. I love Beyoncé as an artist, she’s so vital. As @Trouble in Paradise so eloquently says she’s a black woman leading the culture who makes no apologies about her excellence and blackness. She puts identity at the forefront of her music and creates empowering, sometimes challenging and almost always inspiring music through that lens. Music that is so clearly authentic and essential, in my opinion.

But I see the point that @SageCommeUneImage is making and it’s a salient one about class. But it’s also a critique that should be applied to literally all of our faves who have reached a certain level of financial success. Lord knows none of them are in-touch with the realities of working class people.

Practically none of us posting on this forum will ever experience the obscene wealth, privilege and access that Beyoncé and Jay-Z have between them. They are billionaires. So yes, it’s somewhat humorous to hear her singing about quitting the nine to five grind here. She obviously works hard and is a master of her craft but she lives a life of abject luxury. Cost of living pressures and work insecurity are things that are truly beyond her grasp.

But I also think that her touching on these themes in Break My Soul is meant more as a modern reinterpretation of lyrical themes prominently found in the 90s house music pioneered by black artists to which she is clearly paying homage — and in that sense the song absolutely fucking nails it.

There is definitely a much broader conversation to be had about the hideously wealthy undertaking performative and shallow political allyship and it’s a really good one to have but I’d sooner start with… say… a white popstar born directly into wealth who’s profited from an enduring business relationship and many exclusive deals with the bloodsucking hellscape known as Amazon* than Beyoncé.

*The fun thing about this is that it could be literally any of our faves. Because they’ve all done it and will continue to do it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  17. Hmm. Liking this one more in theory than in practice. It's more serviceable than a serve.

Hope we have more of the House influence on the rest of the album.. but with some stronger songcraft and production.

Will say, I love her all-too-brief mid-song rap. I'd love more of that energy.

18. I can confirm the song is a grower and an absolute bop. Bring on the remixes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.