BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE | Page 98 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ - act i RENAISSANCE

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Ensnare, Jun 10, 2021.

1. News flash: artists are allowed to explore issues and themes outside their own lived experience. In fact, they do it all the time, which is why artistic creation can be an act of empathy. Whether you think they sell it or not, well, of course that’s up to the consumer. She shouldn’t have to slap the name Sasha Fierce on a song every time she steps (so very lightly, in this case) outside her own well-documented background.

LPT, Mr.Arroz, -M- and 29 others like this.
  2. Somethings up with Spotify. Normally updates at 5pm GMT and it’s now 9pm GMT.

3. Spotify said release your job

4. 100% - you can't get more establishment than someone like Beyonce and doubt she's even heard of the 'Great Resignation' - she's a capitalist through and through.

Now, if for some reason Beyonce did change her outlook on life and wanted to become the voice of the working class/proletariat she would not have the platform she has right now and would be swiftly taken away to a mental hospital in all likelihood.

Just enjoy the bops and don't read too deeply into the lyrics.

5. She's an empath, okay?

HorseTears, LPT, Sail On and 39 others like this.
  6. You're telling me... *bong rip* ...Kate Bush didn't really dance with Hitler, fuck a snowman or run up that damn hill?!
    [​IMG]

godspeed, LPT, Mr.Arroz and 53 others like this.
  7. Yesterday morning I was content thinking this was a great introduction to a new sound, if not an immediate classic or discography highlight.

I don’t know whether it’s wormed its way that deeply into me in just 24 hours or if the collective hysteria and fun of a Big Pop Girl release of this magnitude is just doing its thing… but I’m willing to declare this is probably the best song released this year and without doubt the greatest moment.

myblood, K94, Dijah. and 9 others like this.

8. Give it to me now!

9. Do all proper Bey eras cause this kind of....entertainment? If so then allow me to quit the job I don't have and plump up my pillows.

Maria and Ferk like this.
  10. I mean - I bet Mathew was making them put their 9-5s in from the age of 10. She had an eight year head start.

K94, 1991, Andrew and 3 others like this.
  11. BTG

BTG

This is exactly where I’m at. I thought it was a fantastic bop that would feel even stronger in the context of the album… and now it feels like it has all the makings of a modern classic. The grip this woman has on me.

Jacques, K94, 1991 and 7 others like this.
  12. I love a good and thoughtful critique, and there is plenty to discuss in the context of how capitalism and girl bossing is not the way.

For example, I thought the worst part of Everything Is Love, is how much of it centered wealth and rich people flaunting. That album was so laced in the foundation of braggadocio in hip-hop, which I get. But it fell flat after a project like Lemonade. Lemonade presented a betrayal within a marriage, and transformed that into a microcosm of healing, and sewed together such a rich/haunting/painful history into a future of joy and healing.

I think that there are nuances pertaining to Beyoncé's wealth that allow me to not be annoyed by the lyrical content of Break My Soul. Firstly, because I am very clear as to how much radical change I can expect from any pop musician. At best they can provide access points to healing and resources through the music and messaging. In terms of actionables there is occasional philantropy work that rewards some but obviously can't compensate for the exploitation that occurs through billionaire status.
    Secondly, is that Beyoncé's brand of capitalism has been more of a disconnect in previous songs for me. (E.g. the absolute POWER of a song and video like Formation, only to end the song with "best revenge is your paper"...which I get how we got there. But it just isn't it for me.)

However, to me the obvious reason why Beyoncé and Jay-Z are still beloved by the general audience and aren't at the front of the line for eating the rich is because they are Black Americans, who weren't born into wealth, who present a narrative of reclaiming power and resources. They represent a (dying) alternative American dream, where they have used hard work to overcome anti-Black racism that has effected generations of their family.

So while I am always rolling my eyes at Jay-Z's newest ventures, I understand that his origin story is so very related to an underdog story, and a narrative that sells a dream that hardwork and willpower can save you from generational poverty and systemic anti-Black racism. Beyoncé obviously didn't have the same history of growing up in the projects, but there is still immense Black American struggle and hard work for them to get to "middle-class" status. To the general audience her being Black "middle class" in the 80s-90s in Texas, with a father who experienced integration, and a mother as a hair stylist, is enough that there is a perception / subtle difference than yt billionaires born into wealth.

Not to mention that Beyoncé the person is an incredibly hard worker, who we as an audience have seen grow in her singing, dancing, performances, etc. And we *willingly* paid for the CDs, tour tickets, merch, etc. It's really a strange dynamic because there is Beyoncé the artist, Beyoncé the business, Beyoncé the actual person, etc. And all those things are entangled, and can create moments of elation or tension.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  13. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Where was the rage when Britney told us to “work, bitch” huh???

HorseTears, LPT, odyism and 45 others like this.
  14. People never throw these “These pop stars are not our friends, they don’t know our struggles. They’re evil capitalists!” takes at Taylor or Gaga but Beyoncé or Rihanna do so much as breathe we’re needlessly reminded that they’re rich and therefore evil.

ohdenny, Mr.Arroz, GimmeWork and 11 others like this.
  15. Literally none of this is new. Maybe I’m old but I’m tired of people trotting out arguments from like bell hooks and Camille Paglia as if they’re novel.

Mr.Arroz, Jonathan27, K94 and 3 others like this.
  16. If I have to read another hot take by some white gay who works behind a computer all day emailing bitchy memes about their coworkers to “the one other sane person in this office!” about how BEYONCÉ can’t relate to working 9-5 I’m gonna LIGHT MYSELF ON FIRE!! No but really shut up and reflect on your racism sillies. If you feel like you’ve caught a Black woman in a gotchya cause she worked her ass off to be as rich and famous as she is that says a lot more about you then her. And @bazayer i would not call Beyoncé the most establishment artist out there, that belongs to a certain three time Grammy album of the year award winner.

this is a song about release and freedom especially on the dance floor! It’s as though Beyoncé realized her main fan base is BLACK WOMEN and gays so she made a song for them/us to celebrate our resilience despite how much the world has tried to KILL US in the last three years.

you know who likes to pretend to be a “regular person” ESPECIALLY in their music? Ed Sheeran, Ms Swift and a whole gaggle of white pop stars. Pack it up with these foolish takes, read about BLACK WOMEN by a BLACK WOMAN then come for Beyoncé. The racism jumped out

17. …anyway, this is making me wish I still had my folder full of Beyoncé remixes. I’ve been dying to play this along side them but for some reason the majority of her remixes are harder to track down than a top at a Charli concert.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.