Beyoncé - act ii COWBOY CARTER

She still references it in "Ya Ya" by spelling the name out, so I believe they're meant to play off each other. I mentioned before I felt like the BEYINCÉ cover was likely meant to challenge what people thought "country" was meant to look like (similar to how the album challenges what country is supposed to sound like) while the Cowboy Carter cover definitely leans into the imagery pretty heavily that it is accepted without question. She probably had the idea a lot later down the line and wasn't able to execute it until recently.
Oh, I took it as a going back to my roots as Beyoncé is only that because of a misspelling of Beyincé and the history of why that happened

I defy you to not strut listening to Bodyguard while out for your evening walk. Don't bother. It's impossible.
family-guy-meg-griffin.gif

Bodyguard is a career highlight in a career rammed with highlights.

I had low expectations because I don’t like country but this really isn’t a country album. The mastermind that she is makes me really excited about act iii.

Favorites so far: AMERIICAN REQUIEM, BODYGUARD, JOLENE, RIIVERDANCE, II HEANDS II HEAVEN, TYRANT (which should be a single).

Nothing will beat RENAISSANCE for me in the next couple of years probably but the quality and effort behind this is unparalleled.

Last edited:
nn why does Sasha Fierce have to ruin what would otherwise be a flawless run of albums from B'Day (standard edition) to Cowboy Carter?
I’d say even her debut is quite good? The singles are bulletproof and the rest is ranging from ok to inoffensive. Yes there’s also some proper trash but seeing it was a debut album in the early 2000s it could have been so much worse. Not saying it’s a great album but there are definitely debuts that are way worse.

She still references it in "Ya Ya" by spelling the name out, so I believe they're meant to play off each other. I mentioned before I felt like the BEYINCÉ cover was likely meant to challenge what people thought "country" was meant to look like (similar to how the album challenges what country is supposed to sound like) while the Cowboy Carter cover definitely leans into the imagery pretty heavily that it is accepted without question. She probably had the idea a lot later down the line and wasn't able to execute it until recently.

I’ve not been gagged by the very overt Cowboy looks for this campaign, and I know I would have been more interested in more visuals akin to Beyincé, but I do understand the decision to lean right in with both title and visuals. It’s more obvious and direct, with still a sliver of subversion. It has a bit of a middle finger up to those who said she wasn’t welcome in this form.

he/him
Oh, I took it as a going back to my roots as Beyoncé is only that because of a misspelling of Beyincé and the history of why that happened

It absolutely is, which I’ve written about before. But I’ve seen in this very thread how the BEYINCÉ cover “doesn’t look very country” which also kind of proves my other point about how she’s challenging perceptions about what country looks and sounds like.