Beyoncé - act ii COWBOY CARTER

Do we think they'll release a full vinyl version? I was already holding off on order to save some money but I'll wait a little longer if that's a possibility.

The one thing that rubbed me the wrong way is this arbitrary line Yasmin Williams traces between "authentic" "folk" about "real people struggles" and the navel-gazing pop of Beyoncé as if 1) there wasn't a lot of marketing and self-mythologizing in the personas of Johnny Cash and many other country heroes; 2) working-class people can't see parts of their experiences and feelings in Beyoncé lyrics or aren't allowed to find enjoyment in stories far from their own. There's more folk truth in Beyoncé singing about losing AOTY than Johnny Cash being the voice of the imprisoned without having spent more than one night in jail.

There's this idea that folk music is pure tradition backed by rigorous scientific research and unbroken lines of ancestral knowledge but ethnomusicology is riddled with biases just like every other field and any group of people engages with and reacts to the time\place in history it finds itself in. Good luck finding out if something is "authentic" and "folklore" or the end result of an accurate selection based on specific parameters to establish a certain narrative. This obsession with the "pure", the "untouched", the "uncontamined", the "ancient"—why should any group be taken seriously as a maker and subject of art only if it fits the right anthropological mold? Someone please explain.
This was part of my complicated internal dialogue when I finally found a way to consume Rosalía that did not absolutely decimate my mental health <3

he/him
Do we think they'll release a full vinyl version? I was already holding off on order to save some money but I'll wait a little longer if that's a possibility.

Yeah, it’s more than likely in the works. The BEYINCÉ edition was advertised as a one time pressing probably because they already knew they were following it up with the Cowboy Carter deluxe. I imagine they’ll get the CD version out sooner.

Something else that comes to my mind regarding “is Beyonce featuring enough Black country musicians” is that I care so much less about the optics and more about the actual material measurable positives occurring for Black musicians (of any genre) on this album.

It’s easy to fixate on a Miley or Post Malone collaboration, and to question the power dynamics at play of when is it a featuring versus a contribution to the record.

But for me the juicy questions are what are the positive outcomes for Linda Martell, Tanner Adell, Brittany Spencer, Tierra Kennedy, Reyna Roberts, Shaboozey, and Willie Jones? (Who I find people conveniently brush under the rug during their critiques).
How does this change the trajectory of their careers a year, or a decade from now?
What are the positives for the writers, instrumentalists, and musical contributors throughout this album who are often given less attention but can still have long careers in the industry from being placed on an album like this?
Does the publishing of River Dance translate into financing more studio times for Raye years from now???

I don’t have the answers, but I find that with Beyoncé there are some reviewers who constantly shift the goalpost, undermine what she is doing successfully, or simply do not want her to exist.

Additionally I have to say that Beyoncé is in an echelon of skill and mastery of her instrument that it is easy for people to normalize all the things she does with her voice alone. Beyoncé sets high expectations and makes it look easy, but it is still incredible what she is capable of musically. And not only is it incredible, but it takes ALOT of work and a lifetime of hours dedicated to the craft.

And I find a lot of reviews that want to dig into intensive critique will kind of go “yea the singing is stunnning” for a line or two and then list their grievances with Beyonce as a concept.
(This isn’t specific to the Guardian review as I haven’t read it in full, but just something I’ve noted for a long time)

Last edited:
Finally got to listen in full today, woah what an experience - the last time I felt that was Jaguar II.

I solidly loved 15 songs, not saying I didn’t love the others but 15 were a solid I need to listen again right now. Bodyguard has been on repeat since, 100% my fav.

Blackbiird is beautiful, Brittney Spencer has a beautiful voice.

Daughter into Spaghetti I was NOT expecting.

Ya Ya another standout, I feel like this would have been a great opener but also almost like it was made the start of this project that later became a whole other project then she added it back last minute. It doesn’t quite fit but I’m not mad about that, same with Spaghetti which is my own theory as to why they aren’t on the physicals.

Quite surprised with how good her and Post sound, I like him but his vibrato can be distracting to me but fair play they were a duo I never needed or wanted but now I’m waiting for a Post country single.

Congrats. The only response I've gotten from the Beyoncé store is that they'll get back to me about my order "within 72-96 business hours", TWICE.
Mine arrived but the inner and outer sleeves are damaged so have asked for a refund or store credit.

Sounds great though!

he/him
Ya Ya another standout, I feel like this would have been a great opener but also almost like it was made the start of this project that later became a whole other project then she added it back last minute. It doesn’t quite fit but I’m not mad about that, same with Spaghetti which is my own theory as to why they aren’t on the physicals.

I feel like "Spaghetti" is a reminder that shows up in the middle of this run of easy listening country/pop tracks that this isn't the trip you think it is, and Beyoncé is going to drop this song in the middle of it all just because she can. If the first half of the album is "Dolly", then "Ya Ya" is the intro to the "Beyincé" section (which is spelled out on the track). The rest of the album from that point on becomes sweaty with wall to wall bodies. It's gritty, it's funky, it's sexy. Bey herself at least somewhat acknowledges this by (re)introducing you:

We wanna welcome you to the Beyoncé Cowboy Carter: Act II and The Rodeo Chitlin' Circuit

The imagery that comes to mind is like Janet's "Got Til It's Gone" and Missy's "Lose Control" videos

In short: she basically just re-did I Am... Sasha Fierce, but better

I’m obsessed with TYRANT, how is it not even in the top 10 most streamed tracks on the album? It’s incredible and sounds ready made to go viral on TikTok.

Daughter, Bodyguard, Flamenco are also firm favourites of mine.

Ya Ya is probably the worst song Beyonce has released since I Am Sasha days, so it will probably be a huge hit with the locals.