Beyoncé - act ii COWBOY CARTER

RainOnFire

Staff member
Multiple listens of the full album have been really rewarding. I didn't actually think I was going to continue to play it from beginning to end given its length, but I still am.

I will say though that it was a bit of a journey to accept the fact that I think this album has its faults, and with that realization came a lot of unease as @beyoncésweave perfectly described it. I was able to recognize that it was just as significant as the albums that came before it, but it's also her first album in a long time that I don't think is impenetrable. But I suppose it had to happen eventually! I'm still enjoying it a ton as I said, it's just been interesting to note for myself.

I just had the very obvious realization that the infamous bonus track on the CD was Flamenco this whole time, as it's the only discrepancy between that version and the vinyl being sold. She then last minute decides to add it to the digital release, along a few other tracks, a title and cover change.

I'm slow like that (some)times.

On a lighter note "Just For Fun" is becoming one of my favorites.

Swirl

Baaaaybayyy, I’ve beeen waitiiing, my whole liiifeee… for youuuu & iiiiiiiiiii-iiii

stan-twitter.gif

This album really doesn't seem long at all to me because there's so much variety and intrigue. I'm just really in awe of the craft of it. Bey simply does not fuck around and as someone who finds a lot of pop lazy and unimaginative, it's just a feast for me.

Who else is serving this kind of imagery?

Beyonce said:
An apricot picked right off a givin' tree
I gave water to thе soil
And now it feeds me, yeah, yeah (Yеah)

Or...

And there I was, tangled up in marigold
We were listenin' to the reverent children singin'
(Sing, sing, sing, sing, sing, sing) Huh, yeah
Hummin' low as the garden river flows

It's all so considered. The might be a clunky line or two across this huge album, but there's really no "I picked the first dumb cliche that came to my head" lyricism here. It's almost gives me Bernie Taupin on Tumbleweed Connection and Madman Across The Water vibes. It's downright literary at times.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's been mentioned but has anyone picked up on the melody of, "Hangman, answer me now" being reminiscent to "Frontline" ("Why are you testing me?") by Kelela? I'm obsessed.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the Past Malone and Miley collabs because I think they are weak songs relative to the other material (though not bad on their own), I actually don't mind the presence of the white artists, especially Dolly and Willie Nelson. Black artists pretty much built popular music, so it's nice to see the white artists being part of Beyonce's universe but peripheral. Because it's often the other way around when it absolutely shouldn't be.

Last edited:
A couple weeks in now and I've settled on this being my favorite Beyonce album right now. Not necessarily overall because as has been stated, what a futile task of ranking. But Cowboy Carter is my favorite in the same way Self-Titled was my favorite in 2013/14 and Renaissance was my favorite in 2022. There's a degree of immersion that we simply do not get from a lot of albums in general and it makes for uniquely rewarding familiarization with the material.

At the risk of sounding redundant, what a woman and what a discography basically.

A couple weeks in now and I've settled on this being my favorite Beyonce album right now. Not necessarily overall because as has been stated, what a futile task of ranking. But Cowboy Carter is my favorite in the same way Self-Titled was my favorite in 2013/14 and Renaissance was my favorite in 2022. There's a degree of immersion that we simply do not get from a lot of albums in general and it makes for uniquely rewarding familiarization with the material.

At the risk of sounding redundant, what a woman and what a discography basically.
My mom doesn't like that she's allegedly try hard (but she is really coming around to Beyonce with some of these Cowboy Carter tracks. She said Ya Ya was one of the most interesting things she's heard in a long time), but that's what makes her excellent. I've said this before, but she goes for it. She makes sure it's top notch and ambitious. I love that in a popstar.