Beyoncé - BLACK IS KING | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Beyoncé - BLACK IS KING

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by EnsnareTheSenses, Jun 20, 2020.

1. This is exactly what I was thinking too.

Mr.Arroz and EricG1990 like this.
  2. The 10 I gave it in the Big Pop Girl Rate says it’s always absolutely smacked.

3. Brown Skin Girl almost made me cry wow was so breathtaking !

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. this whole thing is unreal, so freaking beautiful, I am so overwhelmed... how did she get hired by disney for Lion King and then outdoes them. what a troll

5. As a white person who was so deeply affected by what I just watched, I can’t even begin to imagine how important and special and magical this is going to be to her Black fans, Black parents, Black children...this was just so heavenly. She is truly unmatched and has been one upping herself for the last decade. She has no limits. I am in total awe.

EDIT: I had to edit because my auto correct made my first sentence “as a shire person” and I — lol

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Crisp X, Robert, Rei Ayanami and 11 others like this.
  6. So much to love. I'm still digesting and taking it all in, and can't wait to watch it again. For now...

KELLY!!!

7. Her visuals somehow get better and better. She has such a keen eye for the visual symbolism she uses as well as the colouring and spacing to the point it is just sheer art which transcends pop music. She is peerless at this point.

8. First watch done and I am overwhelmed. This is... I don't know how to put it correctly. On first watch I felt it was the best thing she ever did. But this is consensus now with whatever she does. But she actually did this. She did this.

This is such a hurricane of message, sound, outfit, style, power, empowerment - I don't even know how to put it. Even if you take off all the layers of politics and history, it still would be one of the most visually stimulating performance pieces I have ever witnessed.

Everything about this is perfect. I can't understand how Beyoncé does this every single time. Looking at this and looking at where and how she started - I am just completely overwhelmed.

Beyoncé really is one of the very, very, VERY few.

9. Does the new deluxe Lion King soundtrack that was just released have the same songs as the new film she released?
    Can’t wait to watch this when I’ve got some time.

10. Yeah, it trims all the lion king interludes, and matches the order to the one of the film.

11. What in the Prism is going on with this thread though?

FridayNight, LPMA and Lost In Japan. like this.
  12. She was absolutely shit in The Lion King 2019 (then again, that entire remake was shit), but this project makes it’s existence seem worthwhile. Haven’t seen it in full, but the clips I’ve seen are brilliant.

Also, it’s exhausting seeing all the absolutely pressed yts still bitching on Disney’s social media about the title.

13. Thank you.

I can parented it’s a legit Beyoncé album and not from some recycled Disney garbage.

So far the songs are great!

CaliDevotion likes this.
  14. I like to think the reason why this thread hasn’t jumped 50 pages after the release of Black Is King is because people have ran out of ways to articulate Beyoncé as one of the most creatively liberated mainstream acts and one of the most, if not the most, important icons of our generation.

It’s like somewhere between 4 and Self Titled a decision was made (likely spurred by Motherhood) to frame her material and visuals squarely and unapologetically through the lens of a black female and despite formally shredding the image of the stoic veneer of a Pop Queen she began to occupy an even bigger space as a voice for justice, equality, representation, feminism (argue all you want) and engaging in important conversations that make her work feel relevant and timeless. Every shot in Black Is King (I will require more watches to truly elaborate in detail) is so powerfully soaked in a culture that she is so passionate about bringing to the world stage in a way that serves her community with purpose and intent. She is beyond inspiring and despite buzzing around this damn hive since The Writings On The Wall, i become more in awe of her every time.

15. What do you mean?

16. Pretty sure they're pointing out the lack of engagement considering this masterpiece just dropped

17. I mean, @Oceandrive spilled but I think it also likely has to do with being a Disney+ exclusive release. I haven’t been able to watch it yet purely for that reason, I’m currently trying to find a friend who will let me mooch off their account since I’m not a Disney gay and I’m sure many others are in the same boat.

18. Yeah isn't Disney+ US only so far? These are times where most people won't watch something if it's not available in their streaming services. But I'm downloading now and will probably watch it today, everything I've seen so far looks insanely good.

lushLuck likes this.
  19. I'm in complete shock and awe.

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  20. I'm not sure what to add other than it's a gorgeous, sumptuous project and she continues to execute flawless visuals that powerfully enhance each song. She has been at the top of her game for almost a decade now. I'm in awe of her power.

Ashling92 and LPMA like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.