Beyoncé - BLACK IS KING | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

Beyoncé - BLACK IS KING

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by EnsnareTheSenses, Jun 20, 2020.

1. I didn’t appreciate The Gift enough on first listen because I went into it already thinking “oh this is just a Lion King project, eh” and allowed myself to be prejudiced. But it’s a really brilliant piece of work, and Black is King only serves to highlight that further.

I think it also suffers in people’s minds from the fact that it follows two albums that aren’t just career-bests, but two of the best albums of all-time that were both groundbreaking. So the only way was down!

Andrew.L likes this.
  2. I’m really happy this film came out, and it’s really made me spend more time with this album. I think; when it came out, I had wished there was more Beyonce on it, so I just didn’t give it a ton ton of time? But I did create a playlist with just the tracks B is on and rearranged them a bit, and it’s quite a beautiful album, one that absolutely holds up in the Beyonce canon.

And for fun, I would probably rank her projects post DC:

1. 4
    2. Beyonce
    3. Lemonade
    4. Everything is Love
    5. B’Day
    6. The Gift
    7. I Am ... Sasha Fierce
    8. Dangerously In Love

Maria likes this.
  3. Bigger really is such an important song and one of her best ever imo it’s so stunning !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Trouble in Paradise, JMSinc and Maria like this.
  4. “MY POWER” bangs so hard jeeeeeezus.

LPT, V3RYP05H, Dave and 11 others like this.
  5. Imagine saying Beyoncé has no bops since ages while others bopping harder than ever to My Power, Apeshit, Formation and even Before I Let Go. And those are just the most obvious examples.

Sunny B, tea, sesita and 5 others like this.
  6. This was a beautiful watch, I saw it yesterday. I want more from her so probably gonna watch Homecoming again soon.

Maria and nooniebao like this.
  7. I didn’t realise it before the film, but My Power is probably my favourite thing on here. Like that really is a top tier Beyoncé banger.

8. Finally got round to watching this today. What an artist, what a serve - the film really elevates the music.

9. I made an EP out of Beyonce's songs and it easily stacks up to any of her other projects. Huge bangers and some of the most affecting, richly emotional ballads of her career. Bigger, Otherside, Nile are career highlights. Shame that Spirit is typical, overblown Disney bombast, it turned me off the entire soundtrack when it first came out. Thankfully, the film showed me the error of my ways.

Speaking of the film, fucking wow. Each and every music in the film is worthy of Video of the Year but the overarching narrative is the most impressive part. She really took Disney's slightly hokey retelling of Hamlet and turned into a story about black ancestry, birthright and pride. I am in awe of her vision, discipline and creativity. And her taste level! Every single shot was like a spellbinding canvas of high fashion, art and majestic natural beauty. I am ready for her to try her hand at an actual narrative film, hopefully through her Netflix deal.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  10. FINALLY got around to watching this last night, and no surprise, it’s absolutely stunning. There’s not a single shot in this that isn’t a total feast for the eyes, and it truly makes the songs come alive. It’s been said a million times before, but there’s no one doing it like her...maybe never has been. I’m still not someone who’s going to go out of my way to listen to a Beyoncé album (yes, I’m trash, I’m aware), but I will always appreciate her as the greatest performer & visual artist of our time.

Lately, LPT, Sail On and 6 others like this.
  11. APESHIT is definitely somewhere in my Beyoncé top 10, maybe even top 5. A moment and a slapper.

Lately, R92, Sail On and 8 others like this.
  12. Find Your Way Back might just be my new favourite Beyonce video... ever

lushLuck likes this.
  13. It is crazy good and should be massive.

Maria and Andy French like this.
  14. tea

tea

I know B isn't on it, but I don't see nearly enough praise for Don't Jealous Me.

15. @tea It's my favourite song without her.

tea likes this.
  16. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I hate Scar (but that's mostly because I can't stand Jessie Reyez's voice), but otherwise I think Don't Jealous Me, Ja Ara E, and Keys to the Kingdom are great additions to the soundtrack. They shouldn't be dismissed just because Beyoncé isn't on them.

LPT, aaronhansome, Mr Blonde and 11 others like this.
  17. I need a live performance, it would go all the way off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.