Beyoncé - General Discussion | Page 280 | The Popjustice Forum

Beyoncé - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bryan89, Dec 6, 2009.

1. I’m currently upto 1+1, Wow. Her lives of that, for me, makes it undoubtedly her best ballad!

Also the sheer audacity of her covering Sex On Fire and absolutely nailing it! (not that I’m shocked)

Maria likes this.
  2. RJF

RJF

Didn’t Tricky come out a few years ago and claim his mic not working at Glastonbury was a Jay-Z-orchestrated conspiracy to embarrass him?

3. Also I just noticed the cutest moment during “Jumpin, Jumpin” where she said twist twice instead of Shake and then Twist and she turns and laughs to the dancers! Rarely see the Queen fluff the lyrics and giggle it off.

RainOnFire likes this.
  4. Want to hop on the 4 love cause it really is a special album for me. I adored I Am but with the self conscious distance of a young listener who thought pop music wasn't "authentic" or as "serious" (I know...) But 2011 was a special moment for me musically. Between 21, Born This Way and 4 I had a new musical awakening specifically towards just how incredible and IMPORTANT pop music is. I really didn't listen to much other than those three albums all summer long. As many have said, 4 is when Beyonce took a step back and said "this is what I want to say and this is what I want to sound, the general (white) public be damned!"

In many ways I saw 4 as standing alongside the tide of (mainly white) contemporary soul artists coming up in the wake of Amy Winehouse as well as Adele proving that there was room for more than one. 4 has so much more shared musical DNA with 21 than Born This Way and in a way it was Bey reasserting Black control and creativity in a genre that comes from Black history but had been subsumed by white artists. In my view, Beyonce had been a pop/RnB singer up until 4 but with 4 she was able to cross into being a soul singer while still maintaining her hold on pop and the mainstream. So many talented Black soul singers are never given the same opportunity or respect as their white counterparts (Adele, Duffy, Amy Winehouse, Joss Stone vs Estelle, Ledisi, Alice Smith, Sharon Jones) and Beyonce stuck her claim in the genre and in the conversation. I hope this makes sense cause I'm losing the plot the more I try to think this through, but lemme just say 4 is a special moment in Beyonce's career and my life long stanning of Bey

5. What was Tricky's revenge? Leaving Jay's mic on at Coachella?

Soul Control likes this.

6. I have no idea what she'll do next, but I'd love for her to explore this nu disco sound she did in Blow. A bop!

7. The only name who made it into the article. Who else?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...y-woes-included-broad-access-to-user-accounts

8. ‘Me, Myself and I’ is such a fucking good song. The fact that she recorded it aged 20/21 still blows my mind.

The maturity.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Island, _hazzie_, stoicist and 21 others like this.
  9. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I feel like we as a society don't talk enough about how her 2014 BRITs look is one of her best ever. The gown. The colour. The HAIR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I low key loved that Meek and Ella Mai song that sampled it as well dd
    The glamour. The glow. The presence.

Island, Dijah., Sam and 3 others like this.

11. I been saying this for years! That wig was giving us rich bitch realness. Also Beyoncé in green is always a regal moment.

RainOnFire likes this.
  12. I still haven't recovered from the opening set on 4. "1+1" to "I Miss You", god damn.

It's also criminal that "Lay Up Under Me" isn't on Spotify.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    tea, Mr.Arroz, FINISH LINE and 2 others like this.
  13. I hope she releases one more album before Touring

nooniebao and Maria like this.
  14. I would honestly live for her performing most of The Gift on a tour

Sleepycat likes this.
  15. "to the left, to the left"

whew, 14 years later and still as fresh. A HOOK.

evilsin, tea, heavymetalGAGA and 6 others like this.
  16. Top three? Oh, baby. "Ring the Alarm, "Green Light" and "Suga Mama" will have to take the top tier. The original B'Day tracklist is so tight, though. Wouldn't change a thing!

17. Happy 14th birthday B’Day!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.