Beyoncé - General Discussion | Page 307 | The Popjustice Forum

Beyoncé - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by bryan89, Dec 6, 2009.

1. She only did Me Myself & I in select dates of the I Am Tour, but she did it in one I went to and I was so happy. A classic.

Trouble in Paradise likes this.
  2. Yeah, Dangerously is her second worst album, but that speaks mostly to the absolutely insane quality of B’Day, 4, BEYONCÉ, and Lemonade. Dangerously is still an absolutely brilliant album with some of the very best tracks of its genre and of its time. The singles are obviously absolutely fucking bulletproof, and then the likes of ‘Yes’ and ‘Speechless’ are definitely comfortably amongst her best ever tracks. Tracks like ‘Daddy’ and the Luther Vandross collab hold it back. It’s a good album !

Dijah., 4Roses, dvno and 10 others like this.
  3. I remember being a silly little cig with a much more limited range of reference points musically who bought her debut album based on “Crazy in Love”, and I was… not entertained with its more soul/R&B moments. Thankfully I grew to adore them throughout the years.

I guess it technically is her second worst album, but there are a lot of “>” signs between it and Sasha Fierce.

Trouble in Paradise and Maria like this.
  4. I'm very pro-DIL, and agree that it's not at the bottom of the pack for her. However, in slight defence of I Am..., I'm of the belief that there is actually a pretty good album buried in there, and that the somewhat gimmicky split of material across two discs, and the glut of tracks presented by the variety of editions that came out were more the root of its problems. I reckon you could trim it to a solid 12-track album with:

Single Ladies
    Radio
    Halo
    If I Were a Boy
    Scared of Lonely
    Diva
    Video Phone
    Sweet Dreams
    Hello*
    Broken-Hearted Girl*
    Ego
    Why Don’t You Love Me

Something like that. You could do a couple of swaps depending on preferences (you could sub in Disappear on one of the asterisk'd tracks), or trim a few more to make it super tight, but that's not a bad album by any means. I think it just suffers a little more than her other works, in that it's perhaps the only album she's made where a fair number of its songs are rooted in sounds/production that were trending at the time. The rather uninspiring greyscale approach to the aesthetic also doesn't stack up too favourably sandwiched between B'Day and 4.

However, I'd argue that the era itself is perhaps one of her most important - her performance abilities really started to get people talking around this time, and it truly felt like she started to distance herself from the pack in terms of sheer force and polish (the tour cemented that). It was the first of the triple-punch of consecutive albums that really elevated her to the superstar she is today (commercial clout/performance recognition - breaking trends/expectations/taking control of her narrative - completely shaking the industry/rewriting her image and legacy).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. Hip Hop Star, Be with You, and Speechless <3

6. This does salvage the album a bit, and it’s absolutely very listenable, but it’s still bottom of the pack for me. There’s just something missing. It’s lacking that spark that is imbued in literally all of her other albums.

Agreed the era was super important for her and is one of her most fun eras to have experienced as a fan! It’s actually the era that got me into her. Everyone and their mum was obsessed with her, and I got my mum tickets for the show in Birmingham, but it was really so 14 year old me could see her live. I was secretly bopping the whole time.

7. Oh, for sure, I don't think there's any way you can frame I Am... as anything other than worst album. It definitely felt like something of a secure commercial course-correction after the rather unstable B'Day era - quite akin to what Rihanna went through just a couple of years later with Rated R/Loud, the formers being regarded as a fan favourites (each with one huge hit that kept their eras afloat - Irreplaceable and Rude Boy), and the latters being patchy, but with massive hits, and cultural ubiquity.

8. During I Am... era she came to Florianópolis, which is a city in Brazil that is not São Paulo nor Rio de Janeiro. She had concerts in like five other cities, and I don't remember another international act of her caliber doing more than one or maybe two concerts over here. It's insane how tight her grasp around pop culture was even then, and it definitely was a time of definement for her I think, even if not yet artistically - that came later and never stopped.

9. IASF is her worst album, but it is still a good album. It's still a Beyoncé record, and thus has some absolutely stunning moments and manages to soar above alot of the other r&b 2008 releases. I think music in 2008 really tried to compress and flatten anyone who was creating pop music, and while you have some moments that are attached to those trends it is still uniquely Beyoncé for the most part.

My least favorite part of the album is that it feels more like a playlist than a cohesive album. Instead of double the fun, it's more like half the punch. The I Am side was lovely to see from Beyoncé but I felt like it needed to go a little bit further, and not be afraid to get esoteric or even start to delve deeper into acoustic, folk, and neosoul--or perhaps touch upon genres like downtempo, ambient, etc.
    Music like Maxwell's BlackSummerNights and Solange's Hadley Street Dreams are releases from that same time, that I always thought were a good reference point to how the I Am sound could had been refined.

The Sasha Fierce side, wasn't bad by any means. But I do think that once she named the entity Sasha
    Fierce, it created this weird dissonance and whelming where we as an audience expected it to be the absolutely fiercest and grandiose she would be musically. But the reality is that B'Day as an album captures what the Sasha Fierce side was trying to do much more.

Overall it may be her worst album, but the worst Beyonce works are still above and beyond. My favorite songs overall are
    That's Why You're Beautiful
    Disappear
    Smash Into You
    Single Ladies
    Sweet Dreams
    Why Don't You Love Me
    Hello
    And Diva Live is transcendent!

Trouble in Paradise and Maria like this.
  10. I agree the Sasha Fierce era is when people really took notice of her as a performer.

11. I think the Sasha Fierce era is when the mainstream (aka fans who weren't Black or weren't Queer) took notice. Because at that point she was already flying towards a new stratosphere that people didn't have the option but pay attention.

DIL pegged her as "The It Girl" who is breaking away from the cute DC moments. People saw her as a good performer, but there was such an air of "This is a cute moment...for now" or just the toxic environment of how people treated Pop and R&B in the early 2000s.

Destiny Fulfilled, is often forgotten but is really when we saw Sasha unleashed in her full glory. I loved the format of seeing the unity and tightness of DC3, and by the end Beyonce unleashing all her energy and the spirit moving through her body and spirit.

B'Day, was when she truly arrived at the next level of live performance. From the moment she performed Deja Vu on the BET awards, it was a new level of confidence, energy, balance, control, and having the eye of the tiger on stage.

IASF, was a continuation of B'Day but with a bit more refinement, polish, and versatility to fit the music of the album. And it was more so the mainstream casual fans who recognized how much better she had gotten, in such a relatively short amount of time.

12. There was also a delay because her own fans hated her dancing in the B’Day era dddd it took a bit of getting used to coming from an era, where street dance type of choreography had pop in a chokehold.

Maria likes this.
  13. OK but I know we are not about to minimize DC3's Imperial era as "cute moments".

Put some respeck on Bootylicious' shimmering pink name.

14. RJF

RJF

Glastonbury changed everything for her in the UK.

15. Thanks for sharing! What a great piece! It reminds me of how much power Beyoncé has given herself especially when it comes to media interactions. Given the way they treated her, I’m happy she put herself first and focused on her art cause what an artist she is!

16. Ten years of 4 officially today. Never before hath Fela Kuti influences been melded with #girlboss mantras so effectively. An era for the twenty somethings, thirty somethings, forty somethings, fifty somethings, and the rest. It gave us more key changes in the space of two minutes than one would think possible, the sheer chaotic ecstacy of "Countdown", Prince-inspired balladry, and "I may be young but I'm READEHHH!" It was an album that really crystallised my standom for B as a young adult, something that would, of course, balloon even further with the next two world-stopping releases.

Happy birthday to these treasures, long may they prosper:

sesita, 2014, Sam and 22 others like this.
  17. Be With You is my favorite Beyonce song.

aaronhansome likes this.
  18. I am so happy I Care has become a live staple cause it is perfection

19. Party, Countdown and Dance for You are the trinity.

Lost In Japan. likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.