BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ TOP 5! | Page 11 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ TOP 5!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I feel like there must have been some serious miscommunication going on within her team at the time.

Music Is Death, soratami and Maki like this.
  2. Kissing You kind of got a "I'm a ballad ho and I know how ballads are done dirty on PJ so let me boost this a bit" 10 from me, so as far as losing my first 10, this was an okay one to lose.

You still all did this a bit dirty though.

3. I gave Still in Love (Kissing You) a 7.5. It’s a beautiful ballad and Bey sounds great on it.

We need to talk about the second verse that is sung faster until it reaches the WHEN WE MAKE LOVE climax. Chills.

There are definitely many worse songs left in.

Maki likes this.
  4. I might not hate this version if I didn't love the original. It sounds like a low-quality karaoke rendition, slowed down so Beyonce can show off her vocals but with no real emotion about what she's singing.

5. I just think it’s a dreadful cover. It all feels so overwrought and artificial.

There is definitely worse stuff left in the rate though.

6. Time for some more extras and their little write ups to go...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.7
    TOTAL POINTS: 114

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 8.5 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 5/10​

Another averagely dated ballad leaves the rate. This time, it's After All Is Said And Done which came from the soundtrack to the 1999 film, The Best Man. The song was written by Gordon Chambers and Phil Galdston and it saw Beyoncé working with original Boyz II Men member, Marc Nelson.

It's... okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.725
    TOTAL POINTS: 114.5

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    MY SCORE: 6/10​

Although an optional, I'm actually surprised this didn't get further, just because of the obvious. The commercial is very much of its time, but remains iconic and is always a kii to watch.

All three women killed this Queen cover and Enriqué... well he's there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.728
    TOTAL POINTS: 171.85

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Robert )

And the first unreleased song to leave the rate is Sexuality. It's nothing special, however I included it on the voting ballot because it featured on the ever elusive Speak My Mind mixtape from 2005. The other unreleased tracks are notably better than this one, so I'm not surprised at this exit.

The song samples Hobo Scratch by Malcom McClaren, which was also used in the title track for Janet's FUCKING AMAZINGLY GOOD 1997 album, The Velvet Rope.
    You can check out that superior song out below:

Next up... an album is losing two tracks.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 12:53 PM
  7. Still in Love (Kissing You) - 8
    ~ My score might seem inflated but I really like this cover, and relistening to it, I don't regret scoring it this way. Obviously it helps that the original is already a very pretty song, but Bey really did a great job especially that dynamic bit in the middle of the song. While it's not perfect of course, there's a lot of songs that deserved to leave before this one.
    The legal controversy/mess surrounding this is so random it's hard to believe it actually happened.

After All Is Said and Done - 5.25
    ~ For some reason I always think this is a cover and not an original song. Anyway, it's the most typical 90s R&B love ballad that you can think of and sounds dated even for 1999. Some very nice moments but boring and definitely forgettable in the end. I expected to see it leave a bit earlier actually.

We Will Rock You - 5.5
    ~ This one was tricky to rate because, while the commercial is a moment, there's not much of Beyoncé here to make it worthwhile for this rate, so I assigned it a middling score (which was pretty close to its actual average). P!nk shines the most here but it's a good cover overall.

Sexuality - 8
    ~ Considering it's an unreleased demo song, this is great. The melody in particular is really good and memorable, though the rough production and the lack of middle-8 hurts it. Interestingly, there's barely any info about this song (except the infamous "Speak My Mind" appearance, as mentioned), so we can only speculate things. The most likely scenario is that this is one of the outtakes from "Dangerously in Love" recording sessions (reportedly around 45 songs were completed during that time) that was supposed to appear on an album consisting from debut leftover songs, set to be released in late 2003/early 2004 but ultimately got scrapped. Not too surprising this didn't last long, but there's a bunch of weaker songs and I thought a few actual debut album tracks would get eliminated before it. Perhaps these are the next two cuts.

8. Awww I actually really like We Will Rock You, and Sexuality is a cute song. I get why they’re so low, but they deserve to be a little higher. The other eliminations are well deserved.

9. Even if it was a moment at the time, I'm happy to see We Will Rock You didn't get carried further on nostalgia, because a good song it definitely isn't.

Just need My First Time and Lost Yo Mind to go, and then I won't have any more sub-5 scores left.

Maki likes this.
  10. Thank God We Will Rock You didn’t last longer simply by the Star power of those three. It’s a dreadful cover.

11. Kind of obsessed with how We Will Rock You is the first track to receive any 10s.

12. And so an album unfairly loses two tracks maybe a tad too early...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.85
    TOTAL POINTS: 175.5

2016:
    106/113 (-66) | 4.639 (+1.211)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @theincredibleflipper, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 2 ( @Aester, @godspeed )

The perfectly inoffensive Save The Hero was first released as an iTunes bonus track for Beyoncé’s third studio album aka the more bland one. The song was then given a place towards the backend of the Platinum edition of the album, which was released on the 2nd November 2009. The song was co-written with James Scheffer, Rico Love and Ali Tamposi and it follows our protagonist as she confesses to being a ‘hero’ for the people around her, but who is going to be there for her when she’s needs help if she’s too busy being the ‘hero’ for everyone else?

One thing we know for certain is Beyoncé is a hero to songwriter Ali Tamposi, whose career got a much needed boost in the industry after this song (actually I think it was after Kelly Clarkson’s Stronger blew up, but Save The Hero was Tamposi’s first major writing credit according to Wiki). Tamposi would go on to help write massive hits for some of the pop girls, like Camila Cabello’s Havana, Rita Ora’s Anywhere and Ciara’s Overdose. Okay, Overdose wasn’t a massive hit but it should have been and I’m still not over it! Also, she had a hand in writing Dua’s Break My Heart and a shit tonne of songs for Miley’s Plastic Hearts album.

Anyway, Save The Hero offers a nice change of pace on the album. It’s still a ballad but the production is a bit fuller, but maybe a tad too different, hence why it was included as a bonus track. Actually, I always thought it could be on Rihanna’s Good Girl Gone Bad, mainly because it gives me Rehab vibes, but no where near as good of course. No matter where you go on I Am… Sasha Fierce though, you are always going to encounter that late 00s dated production and with Save The Hero, it’s no exception. As it was a bonus track, not many people really know about the song, as proven by its 5 million streams on Spotify.

The song has never been performed live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.885
    TOTAL POINTS: 176.55

2016:
    98/113 (-73) | 5.358 (+0.527)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 3 ( @Sprockrooster, @boombazookajoe, @TéléDex )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Ana Raquel )
    MY SCORE: 4/10​

Satellites is another ballad from Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce that was co-written with Amanda Ghost, Dave McCraken and Ian Dench. The song is about being in a relationship but having the worries of drifting apart because they are away from each other so much. Beyoncé hints at her and Jay’s celebrity here, scratching the surface of what it means to be such a power couple and trying to have a normal relationship at the same time. Satellites, like Disappear, is one of the more understated songs on the first half of the album, being that it is predominantly Beyoncé’s vocals and an acoustic guitar.

Do I like Satellites though? Well, again, it’s not bad by any means. It’s just very meh, which is I Am… Sasha Fierce’s problem. Beyoncé believed she was stepping out of her comfort zone for this album but all she was doing was stepping into mediocrity. I’m sure the writing sessions may have started out somewhere more interesting in concept, but Satellites is as beige as the rest of them. The song may have suffered due to the tracklist order as well.

Beyoncé performed Satellites during the first run of five shows for the I Am… World Tour before it got cut by the time the show reached its European leg, probably due to watching the first shows back and thinking, “too many ballads!!”. It was then brought out for the I Am… Yours revue at the Encore Theater in Vegas and then like most of the I Am… ballads, has since disappeared from Beyoncé’s setlists all together.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 12:54 PM
  13. Um... I did not expect to lose a 10 before we even escaped bottom 20, let alone before losing my lowest score(s) in the entire rate, especially not that song. A damn mess.

Dijah., Daniel_O, Robert and 3 others like this.
  14. Ummmmmm this is some bullshit ddd.

15. I knew my soft spot for "I Am... Sasha Fierce" would come back to bite me, but at the very least we should've eliminated the actual boring/weak songs from that album.

That would actually be "Still in Love (Kissing You)", which was eliminated just before it. Though it is impressive that "We Will Rock You" got multiple 10s when there were only about 20 voters for optional songs.

Thinking about it, seems like some (or most) of these optional extras benefitted from having a smaller set of voters and therefore lesser probably to get tanked, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some more actual album tracks and regular extras leaving soon. And they better be among my lowest scores for a change - can't believe some of them are actually still around.

16. Two more for good measure...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.925
    TOTAL POINTS: 177.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @godspeed )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 ( @eatyourself )

I'm not mad at this song. It's okay. Until The End Of Time was included on Justin Timberlake's massively successful sophomore album, FutureSex/LoveSounds. However, Beyoncé only came on board for the single release in November 2007, where the song went on to reach the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 and was included on the deluxe edition of the album. On paper, a Beyoncé and 2007 Justin Timberlake duet should have been fire but ultimately, the song never reaches its full potential. I only just realised that I had the solo version in the Youtube playlist (which I've updated now), but it shouldn't matter as B only adds her vocals here.

The song was never performed live, however the two did join forces for a performance of Marvin Gaye's and Tammi Terrell's Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing for Fashion Rocks in 2008.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.952
    TOTAL POINTS: 119.05

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @theincredibleflipper )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 4.5/10​

Another collaboration falls, but this time from the Optionals section. I Got That was released as American rapper Amil's debut solo single in July 2000. Amil was prominent in the late 90s and was seen as Jay-Z's protégé after he discovered her whilst she was in an all-female group called Major Coins. She signed with Jay's record label Roc-A-Fella Records but unfortunately only ended up releasing one album, which flopped.

I Got That, the song, is meh to me even though the chorus hook is catchy, however the song did mark two important things for Beyoncé's career. One of her first solo outings outside of Destiny's Child and her first collaboration with Jay-Z, as he was a writer on the track. The song hit #1 on the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart. The video is typical early 00s affair, but I do love Bey's looks a lot. Eve also makes an appearance.

Next up... more album tracks will fall...

17. I know some of my 10s will probably be questioned but I’d love to see the full ballots from people that have given some 10s so far.

Both of the two features above deserved to go before the I Am and BDay tracks.

Maki and allyshone like this.
  18. And just to take us to 20 eliminated songs and end the day...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.956
    TOTAL POINTS: 178.7

2016:
    100/113 (-68) | 5.291 (+0.665)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Music Is Death, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 3 ( @lalaclairi_, @godspeed, @Ramalama )
    MY SCORE: 4/10​

If is one of the three Stargate produced songs on the deluxe edition of B’Day, along with Irreplaceable and Beautiful Liar. It is not to be confused with the Destiny’s Child song of the same title. However, If was actually never meant to see the light of day as the Des’ree cover, Still In Love (Kissing You) was originally in its place. We all know what happened there, so If was chosen as a replacement on future pressings of the album. The song has Beyoncé on the verge of cheating because her man is mis-treating her, hence the hook, “if you let him take me from you”.

Like with most of the bonus tracks for B’Day, the song fails to add anything special to the an already brilliant album. Freakum Dress is a much more unique and effective way of telling a similar story. There’s a cute reference to Baby Boy here, so shout out to references. We love a reference. There’s nothing much more I have to say about this one.

19. From this bunch, Still In Love could've gone a bit further. She does a bit tew much on it, but it's gorgeous. I can't stand Save The Hero, I'm all for Indieyoncé but that one got stuck in its demo form and not even B could elevate it.

godspeed likes this.
  20. So not one but two of my personal top 10 songs by Beyoncé are in the bottom 20 of this rate?

[​IMG]

I was going to call it a curse of bonus tracks but this is just a general lack of taste. Beyond shocked.

Robert likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.