BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. That's interesting, I didn't know that so thanks for the info. Though it's still a bit odd that it wasn't even released as a single nor got any more notable promo.

So Amazing - 4.5
    ~ One of those songs that even the most hardcore stans totally forget about. I'm sure Beyoncé forgot it herself too. I probably heard this before but really had no recollection of anything about it except that it was a cover. Not terrible but completely boring and throwaway. So amazing it is not.
    Random fact: This is one of the only two songs released during 2005 where Beyoncé appears on, the other one being "Check on It".

My Heart Still Beats - 7.75
    ~ Now what happened here? Definitely the first song of the rate I would call underrated. I know, it's a typical sappy ballad but it's well done - Bey sounds lovely here, the melody is pretty and that middle-8 is quite a moment. Give me some drama. Even the other 'solo Destiny's Child' song is a bit weaker in my opinion.
    There's a ton of songs I would've preferred to see out earlier, but also a lot that I expected would realistically leave before this one (namely her covers of "The Closer I Get to You" and "Back to Black", among others).

[​IMG]

Still deserved to do at least a bit better. Maybe some of the songs I had in mind will get eliminated before it.

2. Here’s how Perfect Duet could escape last place to God Bless America ddd.

Aester and allyshone like this.
  3. Thanks for sorting this! Definitely great that we noticed early on. I’m glad my score bumped My Heart Still Beats up a bit. I wonder if much more changed.

allyshone and Maki like this.
  4. Despite the hiccup, I'm actually loving this so far and enjoying all of your commentary. I hope the lurkers are having fun too. Let's keep it going and fill up this gap!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.5
    TOTAL POINTS: 110

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 8 x 1 ( @Crisp X )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 5/10​

I actually do like this song. However, let's be honest it barely features Beyoncé, so I understand why it was one of the least popular extras. It seems like B provided a few vocals and was possibly going to go uncredited, but her name is a big draw. Her vocals here are great though and so is her brief appearance in the star studded music video.

Speaking of "uncredited", any excuse to post this Frank Ocean masterpiece, which features an uncredited Beyoncé:

Sublime.​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  5. Another one bites the dust from Dangerously In Love, but I'm sure none of you are too surprised.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.525
    TOTAL POINTS: 165.75

2016:
    111/113 (-69) | 3.468 (+2.057)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 6 ( @allyshone, @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @Aester, @Purple, @klow )
    MY SCORE: 3/10

This isn’t necessarily bad, but did it really have to featured on Dangerously In Love? Definitely not. The Closer I Get To You was also featured on Luther Vandross’ final album, Dance With My Father and that’s where it could have stayed. For those who are interested, the song is a cover of a classic duet by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway from 1978. It just feels the most out of place on Beyoncé’s debut compared to the other tracks.

The song received some criticism at the time for sounding “dated” or being “cheesy”, but we all know who loves dated cheese don’t we folks? Yes, the Grammys and this song earned Beyoncé a Grammy for Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals.

The Closer I Get To You was never performed live by Beyoncé and Luther Vandross as Vandross was unfortunately battling with his health for those last few years of his life. My biggest memory of him as a child was his Janet duet, which my mother used to play non-stop around the house.

6. Dangerously in Love definitely has some incredible songs on it, but there is so much filler that it makes for a really unexciting listen. This cull makes sense.

7. I don't know, there are other featurings by American artists on the album Revoir un printemps.
    Maybe they just asked. In this French TV show Akhenaton recalls how it went. The collaboration was done by phone, she didn't ask for a fee but the right to use the song in her album.
    Akhenaton couldn't go the US to meet her and record the song because of a strike in the airline company. They met later when she came to France.

I don't think so. There are always been Franco/Anglo collabs. Sometimes the artists are friends (ex: Elton John/France Gall in the 80s) sometimes it's just a regional version (Kelly Clarkson - I Dare You (Appelle Ton Amour) [feat. Zaz] in 2020).
    And Beyoncé certainly didn't need it to break into the French market. It's international artistic camaraderie.

Dua and Angèle was nice and kinda big.

8. My favorite songs by IAM:
    IAM - Je danse le Mia
    Their biggest hit, a classic, good sample, video directed by Michel Gondry, lyrics full of Provencal words. Helpful to play Motchus.

IAM - Nés sous la même étoile
    Philosophical jam.

Akhenaton - L'Americano
    First solo single by the lead rapper.

Akhenaton - Bad boys de Marseille (Part. II) (ft. Karima, Fonky Family et Shurik'n)
    Regional anthem.

Electro Cypher - Une autre dimension
    A side project of Akhenaton.

godspeed, Crisp X and allyshone like this.
  9. Our final eliminations for the day, taking us right up to the previously eliminated #176 My Heart Still Beats are...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.586
    TOTAL POINTS: 167.6

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    MY SCORE: 5/10

Honestly, these averages aren't too bad right now for our little extras. My Man was originally recorded and intended for Beyoncé's debut album, Dangerously In Love and was produced by Scott Storch. The song eventually made its way onto the bonus disc of the limited Walmart edition of Destiny's Child's final album, Destiny Fulfilled. Whew, that is a mouthful.

On a surface level, My Man is a cute little bop. We get to hear Tina on the track saying, "Beyoncé, you could do so much better", which is a highlight. But lyrically, we don't need this. Long gone are the days where Beyoncé is this naive and oblivious to her man's wrongdoings. The song also features guest appearances from Kelly and Angie Beyince.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.608
    TOTAL POINTS: 168.25

2016:
    110/113 (-69) | 4.199 (+1.409)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 ( @Purple, @Ramalama )
    MY SCORE: 3/10

Honestly, the world could do with some more honesty… yet I don’t think we ever needed this kind of honesty. This is a cover of a Billy Joel song of the same title. It was originally on a Destiny’s Child compilation titled Mathew Knowles & Music World Present Vol.1: Love Destiny that was released in Japan only to celebrate the group's tenth anniversary. The Scott Storch produced cover was then included on the platinum edition of Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. What we didn’t need was any more unnecessary ballads on this album, but Honesty found its way on there regardless. I blame Mathew. Always.

Honesty found an audience in South Korea, like with the other I Am… Sasha Fierce bonus track, Poison. The song reached No.2. on the South Korea Gaon International chart and went on to allegedly sell over 800,000 downloads, which is absolutely bonkers to me which is why I say "allegedly". Who's to dispute Wikipedia though? The thing I love about these rates is some of you can explain this stuff to me. Beyoncé performed a little acapella version of the song when the I Am… World Tour stopped in Seoul before going into Irreplaceable. The song has little over 2 million streams on Spotify.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.616
    TOTAL POINTS: 168.5

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 2 ( @Remorque, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 4/10

This song was included on the international editions of the wildly successful Destiny's Child album, Survivor and it officially featured Beyoncé. Yes, before Nicole Scherzinger was adding her name as a feature on Pussycat Dolls singles, Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny) and Hush Hush, thus causing massive friction within that girl group... Beyoncé was doing it years prior with DC! However, at least Beyoncé was smart enough to do it with album tracks and not actual singles Nicole!​

10. About Dance With My Father, I posted this video in her video rate, but since we mentioned her father recently. Beyoncé dances with her father and like the song. So here it is again. Co-written with Richard Marx.

I love this duet with Janet, I was looking for this version.

I also like Never Too Much

His cover of Love the One You With

Singing with David Bowie

Nights in Harlem remixed by Darchild

My comment was good vocals but boring. Fun to see the Grammys voting body agreed. I gave it a 6.

11. I didn’t realise Honesty was a cover. I think it’s better than some of the other ballads on I Am so I’m a little shocked to see it leave so soon.

12. Funny how so far the songs that were in the last rate have been eliminated in the exact same order.

13. Poor "Honesty"... it deserved so much better.

Oh that's right! So the next one should be "Back to Black", which I'd be totally fine with.

Just realized that both "My Man" and "Honesty" were produced by Scott Storch and both left the rate in the same elimination post - another nice coincidence.

14. Eliminations are going smoothly! I'll need Until The End of Time to vacate though.

Robert and Maki like this.
  15. It might just be the soft spot I have for the first album, but I really don't think Gift From Virgo is that bad! Maybe it just suffers from coming so deep into the second half slog of the tracklist.

I can only hope that we don't see Yes or Speechless until the top hundred.

allyshone, Maria and Maki like this.
  16. No matter where they fall, Yes and Speechless are both great tracks, especially from a debut album. Love them both!

These aren’t spoilers by the way, I literally can’t remember where they land.

17. Family Feud - 3.5
    ~ One of my lowest scores in the entire rate. Among the ultimate fillers of this song list, there's literally nothing remotely notable about it. Even her backing vocals get a bit annoying.

And I'm just now learning that a prominent sample of this gospel song is used throughout "Family Feud", with Beyoncé singing parts of it:

The Closer I Get to You - 6.25
    ~ Yeah, this was expected. It is a nice cover with nice vocals yet it's still boring for the most part. I'm not really familiar with the original but some melodic bits are very pretty, especially that lovely outro. Anyway, this song should've only appeared on Luther's album.

My Man - 6.75
    ~ This is a perfectly decent song, even a bit on the memorable side, but nothing special by any means and also gets a bit repetitive. Kinda makes sense it appeared on a special edition of "Destiny Fulfilled" since Kelly is featured in the intro of the song (poor Michelle oop), though it could've just as well been a bonus track on "Dangerously in Love". There's weaker stuff in the rate of course, but it makes sense this left early. And it's good to know that "My Heart Still Beats" did end up outlasting this one in the end, even by a small margin.

Honesty - 9
    ~ Yikes. I knew it wouldn't last long but this is a very undeserving elimination and my biggest loss by far... at least it narrowly escaped the bottom 10 of the rate. Such a lovely cover, it obviously helps that I love the original version (surprisingly I know it already) - I adore the melody in the chorus, as well as the middle-8, and Beyoncé's delivery perfectly evokes the feel of yearning displayed in the song. Let me blame the floppage on this song being the very last track in "I Am... Sasha Fierce" section and assume people just automatically gave it low scores ddd.
    But really, there are at least a few snoozefests on this album (and the entire rate) that should've and could've easily been out first.

I expected "After All Is Said and Done" and "Back to Black" to get eliminated at this point so maybe these are leaving next.

18. I agree that "Gift from Virgo" could've done a bit better but this...

As @boombazookajoe said, the debut definitely suffers from having a lot of filler tracks - it's one of those 'take the singles and run' type of albums, with the only worthwhile album tracks being "Dangerously in Love 2" (which is stunning) and "Be With You".

boombazookajoe and Robert like this.
  19. Let's see if we continue to follow the trajectory of the last B rate...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.65
    TOTAL POINTS: 169.5

2016:
    108/113 (-68) | 4.494 (+1.156)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @boombazookajoe )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 ( @allyshone, @Aester )
    MY SCORE: 2/10

Maybe I rated this too low... Maybe I didn't. I'm still not sure either way. The first song from B'Day falls out at #175, which should again be unsurprising as this track was the least popular B'Day track in the original rate.

This Des’ree cover was originally included on first issues of the B’Day deluxe edition. It would later be replaced by If, because of a lawsuit that was filed in April 2007. Des’ree’s publishers, The Royalty Network, gave Beyoncé’s team the permission to use the song under two conditions that unfortunately B went on to break. The song title, originally Kissing You, had to remain the same and the cover was not to be published in a video format. However, the song title WAS slightly changed and a grainy video was shot for it. The Royalty Network had demanded Sony halt production of the album, yet it had sold over 200,000 copies already before Sony put a stop to production. On 12 October 2007, the case was dismissed with prejudice, by agreement with all parties, whatever that means. But I’m sure Beyoncé was mad that her name had been tarnished in such a way, especially after gushing about the song to MTV, calling it a "beautiful ballad".

The video was directed by Cliff Watts with the Super 8 film they shot Flaws and All with and it is essentially a PG-13 prelude to the greater Drunk In Love beach video. After all was said and done, was the cover all the hassle? Probably not.​

Next up... a little extras cull.​

20. I don't get why you would agree not to change a song's title and then just go ahead and change it anyway, like what's the benefit of doing that ff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.