BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I adore Beyoncé with pretty much every fibre of my being, but some of the scores that have already been given out are alarmingly high.

nikkysan, eatyourself, Purple and 4 others like this.
  2. Some of the songs that have been eliminated are decent/good, but thinking of any of them as one of the best ten songs in her discography is certainly a lot dd

3. New page! New eliminations!
    And maybe some a few slightly early exits throughout the day...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.983
    TOTAL POINTS: 179.5

2016:
    92/113 (-75) | 5.731 (+0.252)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 4/10​

And so the I Am… balladry continues with Ave Maria. Written by Beyoncé, Amanda Ghost, Ian Dench, Makeba Riddick and the Stargate duo, Mikkel Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen, Ava Maria is actually a rewrite of a classical piece by composer Franz Schubert, which translates to Hail Mary in Latin. The idea for the rewrite came after Ghost and Beyoncé discovered that they had both recently gotten married and, funnily enough, had both walked down the aisle to the Schubert version. After this revelation, Ghost thought it would be amazing to try and rewrite it and make it more personal to Beyoncé. The end result is a love song as she sings about being a massive star, adored by fans, but how “there’s only us when the lights go down”.

Ave Maria may be one of the first times we hear Beyoncé tapping into her operatic vocals, which we know she likes to give us every now and again. Her vocal performance here is stunning, but it’s a Beyoncé rate and top tier vocals just come with the territory. The song doesn’t really delve too deep into the struggles of being in love and being such an adored celebrity touring the world, which is an interesting concept that is just barely touched upon. The production from Stargate, like on Broken-Hearted Girl, isn’t interesting and for an album where half of the songs are ballads and those ballads come one after the other in the track list, the whole thing starts to feel like a bit of a slog to get through.

The song was included as part of the I Am… World Tour setlist, where Beyoncé would perform it dressed in a white wedding dress and a veil. Most of the I Am… World Tour costumes were pretty memorable and this one was no exception. Beyoncé performed the song inside one of the pyramids in Egypt, which can be seen on the DVD for the tour. Aside from that, Beyoncé performed the song as part of a Christmas broadcast at Rockefeller Center and recreated the tour version for the 2009 BET Awards. In 2018, Beyoncé performed the original Franz Schubert version of Ave Maria at the City of Hope gala and the Global Citizen Festival before going into Halo.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    nikkysan, GimmeWork, sesita and 18 others like this.
  4. I know my high scores seem extremely random, it's not like I didn't warn you:
    But really, to think both "Save the Hero" and "If" left before at least some annoying songs ("Lost Yo Mind", "Back Up"...), some simply dull/bland ones ("I Can’t Take No More", "My First Time" etc.), some boring ones ("That’s Why You’re Beautiful") is totally unexpected to me and frankly quite outrageous.
    And none of the songs mentioned above are even among my lowest remaining scores..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  5. I am very happy with how many of my low scores have been sent packing so far.

Lost Yo Mind, Ego or That’s Why You’re Beautiful next please!

soratami, Maki and allyshone like this.
  6. Hopefully these eliminations feel better for you @Maki.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 5.991
    TOTAL POINTS: 179.75

2016:
    105/113 (-61) | 4.677 (+1.314)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @odyism )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 3 ( @Daniel_O, @Aester, @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 5/10​

That’s Why You’re Beautiful closes out disc one of the deluxe edition of Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. Co-written with Andrew Hey and James Fauntleroy II, That’s Why You’re Beautiful is a slow tempo soft rock ballad featuring Beyoncé singing over some drums and a guitar riff that would probably be most appealing to a middle aged heterosexual man. The song is another love song from Bey to Jay (PRETENDS_TO_BE_SHOCKED.gif) as she professes how in love she is, how Jay has warmed her heart and how their love could be an example for the world. The latter, I believe, being an extremely important issue for Beyoncé.

When I listen to That’s Why You’re Beautiful today, it almost sounds like it’s more suited to 4 really. What Beyoncé attempts on this song is not too distant from 1+1 in terms of soundscapes, themes and restraint. However, I am definitely not saying the songs are on par with one another. That’s Why You’re Beautiful is let down by being weak, limp and lifeless, as Cheryl would say. There’s nothing to grab onto or to entice you in, unlike in 1+1, so while Beyoncé is singing about her newly warmed heart, I am still cold as fuck by the end of the song. Alas, a couple of critics praised this song upon release for the instrumentation and “raw” vocals, calling this “the real Beyoncé”. Hmm... I don’t think.

That’s Why You’re Beautiful was performed live as part of the I Am… Yours revue concert at the Encore Theater in Las Vegas. It has since been shelved until further notice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.025
    TOTAL POINTS: 180.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 4.5/10​

My First Time is a Neptunes produced song which was actually a B-side on the DVD single for Crazy In Love, before appearing on the Live in Wembley CD released in 2004. The song’s final resting place was as a hidden track on the Best Buy edition of B’Day. I initially placed it within B’Day for this rate as that was when I first heard it, however it makes WAY more sense keeping it with Dangerously In Love, as its from those sessions.

The title is pretty self explanatory. It’s a funky mid-tempo love song about Beyoncé’s first time. The “I think I’m ready” is a cute hook which compliments lil' Bey. But, we definitely didn’t need a sappy love song about her first time with Jay, especially when she has far superior love songs on her debut. So, good riddance.

[​IMG]

Hopefully the pace of the rate is okay for everyone so far as well. We just have so much to get through so...

nikkysan, GimmeWork, sesita and 20 others like this.
  7. "That's Why You're Beautiful" always appeared to me as being one of the finer ballads from I Am and aged much better than 80% of that album. Maybe the middle aged heterosexual man is me.

eatyourself, odyism, Dijah. and 2 others like this.
  8. The pace of the rate is perfect @allyshone no complaints at all!

Good point about That’s Why You’re Beautiful fitting more into 4’s soundscape, I can definitely hear that now. It was my lowest rated song from I Am. It’s just not very interesting. Maybe with some reworking and made even more ‘4’ it would be better.

I wasn’t familiar with My First Time before the rate. From the title I thought it was going to be atrocious so was pleasantly surprised it’s a middling bop. No loss leaving now though.

I do enjoy Ave Maria a lot though and wished it had stayed longer. It’s nice to hear Beyoncé’s operatic vocals and it’s definitely one of the better ballads on I Am.

9. Ave Maria is a tragedy. So glad it’s gone.

sesita likes this.
  10. That’s Why You’re Beautiful was one of my favorite discoveries in the rate. I knew it wouldn’t last that long here but I still wish it did.

11. Let's do 4 in 1...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.116
    TOTAL POINTS: 183.5

2016:
    103/113 (-61) | 5.006 (+1.11)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    MY SCORE: 5.5/10​

Rise Up comes from the soundtrack to the 2013 animated movie, Epic, which Beyoncé also starred in as Queen Tara. Written with Sia and produced by Hit-Boy and Chase N. Cashe, this track was the first officially released Beyoncé song from 2013, as Grown Woman and Standing On The Sun never got proper releases. Obviously, by the time Self Titled came out in December 2013, this little song was forgotten about... As was the movie I assume as I never saw it and actually don't know anyone who has?

The song is a typical, but not very memorable Sia soundtrack moment. It's okay. The song is now unavailable on streaming, at least in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.14
    TOTAL POINTS: 184.25

2016:
    96/113 (-67) | 5.516 (+0.625)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Maria )

Ahh, the classic Japanese subpar bonus track. Dreaming was co-written with Kenny Edmonds aka Babyface, Antonio Dixon and Patrick "J. Que" Smith, who all worked on the other particularly bland 4 cut, Best Thing I Never Had. So many of the tracks from 4 can stand on their own, not just on the album itself, but within Beyoncé's entire discography, which only makes a song like Dreaming sound even more "meh" than it probably is. Or maybe... it is just "meh" and was rightfully relegated to Japanese bonus track status.

Honestly, her vocal performance is still really good here. It's more the dated production than anything else which lets it down, in my opinion. It could easily be an I Am... Sasha Fierce cut.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.162
    TOTAL POINTS: 123.25

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 6/10​

Kanye released See Me Now in August 2010 for free downloads and then later made it an iTunes bonus track for his critically acclaimed My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy album, with an added Big Sean verse. The song also features Charlie Wilson. I'm not mad at it, despite it not reaching the huge highs of album itself. When premiering the song on the radio, Kanye claimed how Beyoncé recorded her vocals at 5 in the morning. She is a workaholic!

Overall, Beyoncé isn't featured too much during the large 6 minute runtime, so I understand why the song wasn't rated too highly. Bey harmonises with Kanye, singing, "I know one thing, my mama would be proud, and you see me lookin' up, 'cause I know she's lookin' down right now", which is reference to Kanye's late, great mother, Donda.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.175
    TOTAL POINTS: 123.5

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 2 ( @godspeed, @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 6/10​

Another optional extra falls. This time, it's the collaboration with Kelly, Have Your Way. The song was included on the soundtrack for the 2000 play, His Woman His Wife and was written with Darkchild's brother, Fred Jerkins III and LaShawn Daniels. I actually enjoy this little late 90s/early 00s slow jam, although it's nothing groundbreaking. The pair talk about wanting more from from their relationship... basically singing about how they've been waiting for a ring and marriage, but the relationship is going nowhere.

Red flags girls, time to leave!

nikkysan, GimmeWork, sesita and 17 others like this.
  12. PJ rates are always grating to me, because the way in which people drag any ballads or slower songs confuses me. Especially for an artist like Beyoncé where the balladry is such a foundational aspect of the artistry.

I usually can't resist typing out paragraphs and paragraphs for each song, but it's been a busy few weeks (and I can't play catchup). All I can say thus far is that I am surprised that I am one of the people to consistently give out higher scores in this section of the rate.

All the things that Beyonce does with her voice alone (performance, vocal arrangements, the layering, precision, timing, the dynamism, even her mastery of vowel placement whether its the super 90s r&b take or something more contemporary), make it very difficult to rate songs like That's Why Your Beautiful, Satellites, The Closer I Get To You, etc as anything below a 5.

nikkysan, sesita, TéléDex and 7 others like this.
  13. Two of the most relatable things I've read in this thread so far.

More song dissertations coming soon dd

Purple, Robert and boombazookajoe like this.
  14. 'Ave Maria' is the one elimination I don't agree with so far. I used to absolutely love it and while it's a bit cheesy now, she sounds gorgeous on it.

'Save the Hero' just reminds me of that delusional Jessie J/broken foot anecdote from the interview where she said it made her respect people with no legs.

15. Have Your Way is gorgeous. The first song so far that I really love.

Phonetics Girl and Maki like this.
  16. I definitely think some of her ballads on her albums suffer due to their placement in the tracklisting, especially on Dangerously and I Am.... But we move on, as the previously mentioned albums lose some more cuts...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.193
    TOTAL POINTS: 185.8

2016:
    99/113 (-61) | 5.307 (+0.886)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 ( @BubblegumBoy )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 2 ( @Purple, @godspeed )

I may have underscored this a tad.

Poison first appeared on the deluxe reissue edition of Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. Co-written with Johntá Austin and Stargate duo Mikkel S. Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen, the song actually leaked online in August 2009, which was a few months before the deluxe reissue was officially released in November. Poison tells the story of a woman in love but unable to leave the relationship even though she knows this man is not good for her, he’s “poison”. It’s a slow tempo pop song with stuttering beats behind the vocals giving it the late 00s sound that was popular at the time.

There have been moments as I’ve listened through Beyoncé’s discography multiple times for this rate where I have had the ‘dated’ debate. A song that sounds dated doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bad song and the “dated”-ness of a song can almost be an asset in some cases, especially if said song was at the forefront of that particular sound at the time or just feels nostalgic to me for whatever reason. However, Poison definitely doesn’t reap any benefits from its production. It sounds dated as hell and not in a good way. I actually enjoy the melodies here and the chorus is undoubtedly catchy, but production-wise, it’s a miss for me. I think Stargate’s work with Rihanna on Rated R around the same time is much better. On re-listen today, the middle 8 is actually pretty good, hence why I feel like I may have underscored.

Poison found two unlikely audiences in South Korea and Nicki Minaj. The song actually reached No.1 on the South Korea International chart in February 2010. I’m not sure if there was any reason for this or if the song just naturally grew over there. And according to Nicki Minaj, whilst being interviewed for a ‘What’s on Nicki Minaj’s iPod?’ article in Rap Up magazine, Nicki discussed Poison saying, “When I tell you it gives me life, like, it gives me life. Her voice is effortless. It’s badass, like, “I know I’m the best.” I love the melody, I love the cadence. It’s playful, but it’s just so in-your-face. It’s dope and it’s creative.” Are we sure she was talking about Poison? Unfortunately, the song is unavailable on Spotify UK, so I usually forget about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 6.205
    TOTAL POINTS: 186.15

2016:
    104/113 (-55) | 4.978 (+1.227)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 ( @Aester )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 4 ( @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @Purple, @Ramalama )
    MY SCORE: 4.5/10​

Again, I may have underscored this one as well. It's just hitting a bit more today than it was before.

Beyoncé described That’s How You Like It as a "happy, feel good" song, which there’s no denying on the surface. However, it fails to make much of an impact other than offering a change of pace on Dangerously In Love, coming after the slow jam, Speechless. That’s How You Like It samples I Like It by DeBarge and is the second song on the album to feature Jay-Z, who co-wrote the song with D. Andrews and Brian Bridgerman.

The song also suffers from being in the latter half of the album, which is where things get real patchy. It’s undoubtedly filler and if they wanted a "lighter" sounding track to bounce off of the slow jams, they surely could have done better. Overall, it’s okay and it’s not a chore to sit through, however I almost never go back to it. I think this rate is the first time I’ve listened to it in years.

That’s How You Like It has never been performed live and will probably go down as one of the couples more forgettable collaborations.​

[​IMG]

Oh, and next up... time to boot a load of extras...

17. Can't say I'm sad to see the I Am... culling. I find most of that era to be Beyonce at her most beige.

Purple likes this.
  18. I'm loving how quickly this rate is going, there's always a new elimination whenever I open the thread. It's rare for rates to be this fast paced, but it's very enjoyable.

Dijah., eatyourself, Daniel_O and 5 others like this.
  19. The quicker pace is good! And I love how the write-ups are insightful yet still very concise - I should surely take note of that for my rate, hehe.

Some catching up here, so I'll share my thoughts in several posts:

Save the Hero - 10
    ~ Sue me, but I genuinely think this is one of Beyoncé's best ballads. From the stunning melody, the build-up in the production (which is very of its time but still delivers) and splendid vocals, it's just gorgeous and I've loved it ever since hearing it. There's a desolate feeling here which certainly has an effect on me, too. Oh, and that run she does when leading into the chorus ("who's gonna my miiine...") is so pleasing I often get goosebumps. Glad I wasn't the only one to give it a perfect score, though this will surely remain among the most painfully underrated songs.

Satellites - 7.25
    ~ This is a very pretty, restrained ballad which actually suits the title very nicely. It does lack some more variation but that middle-8 into the outro ("If we don't communicate / We'll exist in our own space...") is quite lovely both lyrically and sonically. Now I'm thinking I underscored this one a bit.... could've easily stayed for a while.

Until the End of Time - 6.5
    ~ I actually noticed that YouTube playlist had Justin's solo version but it was only a few days before the voting deadline so I didn't want to bring it up and be bothersome. Anyway, I surely like the chorus here though can't recall the rest - I guess there isn't much Beyoncé to justify it either.

I Got That - 6
    ~ This one just feels very... limp? There's nothing in particular I dislike but can't say anything impressed me, either. Even the hook is pretty weak and not memorable enough. To be honest I thought this one would stick around for longer so it's good to see it leave at this point.

On a random note, I confuse Amil with Lady May, who's another short-lived early 00s rapper and did this nice collaboration with Blu Cantrell:

eatyourself, soratami, Maria and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.