BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I didn't know that one before, but I really like it. Wish it were on Spotify.

Maki and allyshone like this.
  2. I guess we're the only Friends in here @allyshone it's okay, we got each other!!

Maki and allyshone like this.
  3. I Am... trash for not giving "Dreams" a 10. It deserves so much more love.

4. I expected that one to last longer and it was a nice rediscovery, but not a loss for me. Sister Solange has a much better "Dreams" in my opinion:

(though "Sweet Dreams" is better than both I think)

And with this elimination, we now have a top 5 for the Optional section:

Crazy in Love (Remix)
    Hymn for the Weekend (with Coldplay)
    Lift Off (with Jay-Z & Kanye West)
    Wishing on a Star
    You Changed (with Kelly Rowland & Michelle Williams)

All of these making it so far is reasonable, except "Lift Off" which feels a bit random. Especially glad for "Wishing on a Star" and "Hymn for the Weekend" (my two highest scores from this section), both of which I thought would get eliminated way earlier.

5. Two not so hurtful eliminations... for me at least...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.066
    TOTAL POINTS: 212

2016:
    91/113 (-22) | 5.782 (+1.247)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 7/10

Hello was co-written with Ramon Owen, David Quiñones and E. Kidd Bogart and featured on Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. Even though this has always felt more I Am… than Sasha Fierce in terms of character, Hello finds itself on the latter half of the album due to its upbeat tempo. In the song, Beyoncé sings about how she fell for her lover on their first meeting, singing “you had me at hellOWWW” multiple times throughout, which is a famous line from the Tom Cruise movie, Jerry Maguire. I wonder whether Jay had Beyoncé at hello.

The song is nowhere near essential Beyoncé, but it’s always been enjoyable. You have to take what you like on I Am… Sasha Fierce and run with it. Hello is a bit of a bop on the album and it features a particularly entertaining, but strong vocal performance from our Bey. Overall, the song has pretty decent streams with over 24m in total on Spotify.

Hello found itself a place on both the I Am… World Tour and on the I Am… Yours setlists before disappearing from all future shows. For the I Am… Yours shows in Vegas, Hello gets the pleasure of being the opening number. This is purely so Beyoncé could walk through the audience towards the stage shaking hands with everybody without having to utter a word as she could just sing HELLOOWWW in their faces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.068
    TOTAL POINTS: 212.05

2016:
    78/113 (-34) | 6.239 (+0.829)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @Phonetics Girl )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 4.5/10

Broken-Hearted Girl was released as the fifth international single from Beyoncé’s third studio album and massively successful, I Am… Sasha Fierce. It was written by Beyoncé, Babyface and the Stargate duo, Tor Erik Hermansen and Mikkel Storleer Eriksen. It appears on the more “personal” half of the album, I Am.... The song is your typical mid-tempo piano ballad about the fears of heartache and the possibility of a breakup.

I don’t have much to say about Broken-Hearted Girl. I don’t have any issue with the theme or subject matter, because the trials and tribulations of being a woman in a troubled relationship is a common thread throughout all of Beyoncé’s music. Where Broken-Hearted Girl fails, for me, is in the production. It’s just so... lacklustre. I Am… starts with two huge pop power ballads, then we get the more quiet and mysterious Disappear which leads you to believe that maybe having half an album of ballads is maybe not such a bad idea after all, but Broken-Hearted Girl ruins all that. It’s just meh.

Being that it was a single, Broken-Hearted Girl received a video that was equally as boring as the song. Directed by Sophie Muller, the video pictures Beyoncé crying over a relationship in black and white as she heads to one of her favourite places, the beach. Beyoncé walks around on the beach, remembering her lover and looking beautiful as she belts out the song. The video then transitions into colour for a bit and she puts a rose back together and realises in the end that she wants to fix the relationship.

For a later single, Broken-Hearted Girl actually went on to sell around 800,000 copies worldwide, which isn’t bad at all. Despite not peaking high in many countries, it did get a Silver certification in the UK. It reached a peak of No.27 in November 2009, over a year after I Am… Sasha Fierce was released. The song has only been performed as part of the I Am… World Tour setlist.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  6. Ouch at these two... both deserved much better!

I was sure we were going to see "Speechless" and "Back Up" leave by now, hopefully these are among the next few eliminations.

Phonetics Girl, Robert and allyshone like this.
  7. So the following track actually turned out to be a tie with Lost Yo Mind, however Lost Yo Mind scored two tens, so was able to take the higher spot...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.075
    TOTAL POINTS: 212.25

2016:
    84/113 (-26) | 5.981 (+1.094)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @eatyourself )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @klow )
    MY SCORE: 6/10​

When people come for Beyoncé’s acting, I always think of how she cried on cue every night she performed Flaws And All on The Beyoncé Experience tour. The song was included on the deluxe edition of B’Day, finding its place just after Upgrade U. It was written by Ne-Yo, Shea Taylor and both Beyoncé and Solange. The song is a list of confessions from Beyoncé, as she sings about her lover who accepts her unconditionally, despite all of her flaws. There’s actually one flaw which Beyoncé sings about that doesn’t make sense to me and that’s, “I’m a peasant by some standards”. Beyoncé?! A peasant? I don’t think. Six years after this release, Beyoncé would reclaim her all of her flaws in an album track banger, ***Flawless.

Compared to the other songs on B’Day, Flaws and All is the one where Beyoncé looks inwards and asks, "I don’t know why you love me", which I understand is a showcase of those inner doubts one has, especially going through relationship trouble, even if it’s the other half who’s fucking up. If anything though, Flaws and All feels a tad cheesy to me, especially when B’Day is full of chock full of relationship focused bangers. That being said, some suspect the song is actually not about her lover at all and it’s actually about how fans adore her, flaws and all. The song was well received by critics and even Miss Kelly herself, who proclaimed Flaws and All as her favourite Beyoncé song because the song has "so much feeling".

Flaws and All got a very cheap video on the B’Day Video Anthology album. Shot on Super 8 film, the video has Beyoncé acting out different emotions for the camera. It’s nice to see Beyoncé being a goofball though, because she’s known to be a goofball but we don’t see it much. She spoke about showcasing this side of her in the video saying, "I’m silly and goofy and not… trying to be a diva, or trying to be a star - just me". The video was directed by Cliff Watts and Beyoncé herself.

Being a favourite of the Queen means you get performed a lot and Flaws and All got the special treatment. Not only was it performed on The Beyoncé Experience tour, like previously mentioned, but it was performed on The Ellen Show during the promotion of I Am… Sasha Fierce, which actually makes no sense to me. Maybe she was auditioning for a movie or something, because she cries on cue here again. It was then performed on Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live show and later added to The Mrs Carter World Tour setlist, both times being dedicated to her fans.

nikkysan, GimmeWork, Ensnare and 18 others like this.
  8. And i'll just move the previously eliminated Lost Yo Mind here, thank you very much!
    Everything is now back in order.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.075
    TOTAL POINTS: 212.25

2016:
    79/113 (-31) | 6.199 (+0.876)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @theincredibleflipper, @TheOnlyOne )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Lost Yo Mind was co-written with Swizz Beatz and Sean Garrett and was an iTunes bonus track in some parts of the world for B’Day. The song fits in nicely with the main narrative of Beyoncé's sophomore album, as Beyoncé sings about the end of a relationship after a man has cheated. Not only do the lyrics fit in with the rest of B’Day, but so does the production along with Beyoncé’s more shouty delivery. Lost Yo Mind feels like a sibling to Ring The Alarm, however if there was ever a discussion about which should go on the standard edition, I’m happy they went with the riskier choice. Lost Yo Mind still slaps a fair bit though.

While Beyoncé has often sung about being cheated on throughout her 20+ year career, Queen Tina also went through something similar with her father, and here she references how she now knows how her mother felt, “getting ran over”. I always appreciate a reference to the legend Tina Knowles. The song bounces along at just under 4 minutes and a lot of that is Beyoncé just singing the SHIT out of these lyrics. She was so fed up with males during B’Day and I live!

On The Formation World Tour in 2016, Lost Yo Mind was surprisingly referenced very briefly during the Ring The Alarm dance breakdown, which as I've said before, I love when an artist references their past discography, ESPECIALLY when it's a really, really deep cut.

nikkysan, GimmeWork, Ensnare and 15 others like this.
  9. Nooo... of course the superior "B'Day" bonus track ends up leaving before the two annoying ones. I should've given "Flaws and All" a 10 which would've broken the tie at least.

sesita, Robert, Aester and 3 others like this.
  10. Ouch, Flaws and All is my first 10 to leave. I like how "acoustic R&B" it sounds and the harp is magnificent. Might have been her first #relatable moment.

nikkysan, Dijah., Robert and 3 others like this.
  11. I missed that this rate was happening and wasn't able to give Flaws and All a nice juicy 10! Relate to the sentiment a lot. It's also kind of strange sounding, a little hypnotic. I've always loved it.

Aester, allyshone and Maki like this.
  12. I got stingy and gave Flaws and All a 9, but I'm another who really loves it! I'm also really fond of the video. She can do a lot with very little.

13. Wait, I just realised @boombazookajoe gave his 11 to Smash Into You. You truly are the hero this country deserves!!

allyshone, boombazookajoe and Maki like this.

14. Speechless?! That is top tier Beyoncé to me.

Maria, Daniel_O, allyshone and 2 others like this.
  15. Every time I get tagged in this rate my anxiety shoots up and I wonder if it’s because my 10 for Hello has come up, and today’s the day. I knew it would be done dirty but I really hoped it would scrape the top 100 at the very least.

I’ve had Last.fm since late 2005 and Hello is my second most listened to Beyoncé track since then. I really love the delivery of the verses. The bridge “don’t fly me away” is beautifully sung and the chorus is simple but catchy, especially the last HELLOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

Maria, allyshone and Maki like this.
  16. If I had realised how dirty I Am.. Sasha Fierce was going to be done not Broken-Hearted Girl I might have rushed my ballot in. Another of my potential 10s gone not Broken-Hearted Girl. I am a little brokenhearted not Broken-Hearted Girl

Maria and Maki like this.
  17. Dreams - 7
    ~ Haven't heard this song for ages before this rate, and it proved to be a good one to revisit. I wasn't sure how to feel about this one at the start (probably because Bey was not that present) but then it just kept getting better as it went on, especially after the halfway mark and when those lovely high notes come it. Not something I would necessarily return to, but it's a very nice listen.

Hello - 8.75
    ~ This is a bop and I could've scored it a bit higher, actually. While I knew I've always enjoyed this one, it really jumped out to me during this rate and became one of my favourite rediscoveries. One of the few songs that doesn't really belong to either side of this album yet it's such a great tune. The instrumental may be a little bit repetitive (it's still great - that piano!), but everything else is excellent. I love her faster delivery of the verses, but that pre-chorus in particular is amazing. And those ad-libs + harmonies during the chorus, especially later on into the song - a moment! A pity it didn't even reach top 100, it deserved much better of course. At least it improved a lot compared to the 5.78 average from the 2016 rate.

Broken-Hearted Girl - 9.75
    ~ I have a connection to this song because one of the UK X Factor contestants performed it back in 2015 and I've been stanning it on autopilot ever since. But even without that, it's a beautifully sad ballad with lovely vocals and it nails the emotional aspect that matches the lyrics. The strings and piano combo in the instrumental is a standout, too. Another one that was done very dirty.

18. 8 songs to go before we reach the Top 100. 5 album tracks, 3 extras! I’m in London again today for my final day of work, hopefully will get some eliminations in this evening!

19. This alone is worthy of a 10, so Diva should not be going anywhere:

When he pull up, wanna pop my hood up
    Bet he better have a six-pack in the cooler
    Getting money, divas gettin' money
    If you ain't gettin' money, then you ain't got nothing for me
    Tell me somethin', (Tell me somethin')
    Where yo boss at? (Where yo' boss at?)
    Where my ladies up in here that like to talk back?
    (That like to talk back)
    I wanna see ya (I wanna see her)
    I'd like to meet ya (I'd like to meet her)
    What you say? (Not to me!)
    She ain't no diva (She ain't no diva!)

Also I thought Broken-Hearted Girl was Bey's more broadly accepted ballads. Deserved more.

sesita, Dijah., allyshone and 3 others like this.
  20. Every time I get a notification saying I've been tagged in this thread I know it's because I've handed out, once again, the lowest score and crushed someone's hopes and dreams and for that I am not sorry.

soratami, Sleepycat and allyshone like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.