BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 22 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Suddenly the Broken-Hearted Girl is me! These last few eliminations have been hard if not unexpected. Can't wait to find out the top 100!

2. Wait. Has Broken-Hearted Girl been eliminated yet? If so...
    [​IMG]

allyshone and Maki like this.
  3. Flaws and All - 9.75
    ~ This is one of the very few times Beyoncé got close to doing a trip hop track, and that might be exactly why I'm loving it so much. Such a gorgeous song. I adore how it walks the line between alternative R&B and a more underground type of sound, really making it a standout. The melody is so beautiful and I can imagine Solange excelling in this type of song (makes sense she's one of the co-writers).The definition of simple yet so effective across all points - vocals, instrumentation, lyrics etc. However, I would call this song intricate, too, since the message is rather ambiguous and we get to see a vulnerable and very introspective version of Bey, which is a rarity. And those live performances with the rehearsed crying... the talent! They kinda made me feel feelings, not gonna lie.

Sad that it left so early, but it's nice to see that at least several voters are fans of this lovely track (and also regret not giving it a higher score).

4. I always thought she was singing "where yo balls at?"

Phonetics Girl and Sprockrooster like this.
  5. Two extras leave in one go...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.083
    TOTAL POINTS: 148.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 4 ( @allyshone, @theincredibleflipper, @Dijah., @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 5/10

Hymn for the Weekend was released in November 2015 and was the second single to come from Coldplay's seventh studio album, A Head Full of Dreams. The song was written by the band members, while production was handled by Rik Simpson, Avicii, Stargate and Digital Divide. Beyoncé is not officially featured on the song I don't think, she's credited as "guest vocals", as a lot of her vocals are essentially backing. But one thing is for sure, Beyoncé will always do a lot with a little, and she does so here.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z have been friends with Chris Martin and his ex-wife Gwenyth Paltrow for a long time, so a collaboration between the two was bound to happen at some point. Honestly, I underscored Hymn for the Weekend (sounding like a broken record at this point) as it's a pretty nice uplifting bop. A music video for the song was shot in India, and it pays gorgeous homage to Indian culture. The song was pretty big hit for the band, going multi-platinum in the US and UK and it has nearly 1 billion streams on Spotify.

Unfortunately, Beyoncé has never performed the song with the band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.115
    TOTAL POINTS: 213.45

2016:
    95/113 (-13) | 5.563 (+1.552)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.5 x 1 ( @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 5/10

Included as the final song on the The Fighting Temptations soundtrack, Summertime was initially a B-Side to Crazy In Love in the UK and Australia and a 12" vinyl single in the US. Co-written with Angela Beyincé, P. Diddy, Stevie J, Adonis, Smitty and Mario Winans, Summertime ended up not being featured in the film at all, despite lyrically talking about the themes in the film. Diddy features on the song, which marks the pair's only collaboration to date. Ghostface Killah also hopped on a remix to the song and performed it live with Beyoncé at Jay-Z's Fade to Black concert. Additionally, Summertime uses an interpolation of Tavares Strangers In Dark Corners.

The song is really cute to be honest and it gives me the summer feels, so that's the job done right! Unfortunately, the song didn't really make any big moves on the charts at the time, which I'm sure disappointed Bey, as she claims on the Live at Wembley DVD how it's one of her "favourite songs". Well, she should have included it on Dangerously In Love then! She also performed the song on the Verizon Ladies First Tour.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  6. Hymn for the Weekend - 9.5
    ~ Me stanning a male-led track in a pop girl discography rate? Truly a rarity. But really, I've adored this song ever since I first heard it and there's some nostalgia attached to it because it used to be on the radio all the time during the summer of 2016. An amazing song, feels so anthemic and the melody is perfect. Bey's contribution really lifts it to another level for me, with those amazing vocals. Gorgeous music video helps, too (and she looks stunning!)
    This is actually my highest rated bonus/optional song and I was tempted to give it a 10 but I just felt like there wasn't enough Beyoncé to justify that score. As much as I wish it made it to top 100, it's great that it even lasted this long, all things considered.

Summertime - 8
    ~ This is an easy, breezy, summery tune that doesn't stand out in the long run but always provides a nice listen. The pre-chorus is adorable and probably my favourite part of it, but the song as a whole just flows seamlessly and there's really nothing to dislike here. And there's a rumour that this was considered to be her debut single at some point... imagine that happening. It also got considered for that scrapped reissue of the debut album, which would be much more acceptable.
    Nice to see this little tune making it so far comparing it to the previous rate - at this point it's holding the record for the biggest average boost since then (unless "Back Up" survives a few more eliminations, which I definitely wouldn't want to see happening or else I'll be bitter).

I haven't heard the entire "Fighting Tempations" soundtrack, but I think "Summertime" is the best offering from the songs where Beyoncé is featured.
    Though there's this bop by Solange and Papa Rau that's definitely worth a mention:

It's basically a different (or remix) version of Solange's song "Crush", which appears on her debut solo album.

Destiny's Child also have a song appearing on the soundtrack, titled "I Know", but I don't think this one is anything special at all:

It somehow made its way onto Michelle's solo album in 2004, too.

Sprockrooster, Robert, Maria and 2 others like this.
  7. BECAUSE I'D.......

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.121
    TOTAL POINTS: 213.65

2016:
    76/113 (-31) | 6.392 (+0.729)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Phonetics Girl, @odyism, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Co-written with Jeff Bhasker and Luke Steele from Empire of the Sun, Rather Die Young is a power ballad about love and was included on Beyoncé's fourth studio album, 4. The song has a typically classic feel and it has been noted to have been inspired by Earth, Wind & Fire with a lot of its elements rooted in soul music, like the heavy drum-beat, synthesisers and horn section, which as we know, Beyoncé lives for horns.

Rather Die Young is pretty good. While I can’t personally relate to the subject matter, I’ve always thought the song was a perfect sonic fit for 4. It’s not a track that you’d normally find on any Beyoncé album prior or even after, and so it makes perfect sense here. As I mentioned, Rather Die Young sounds like a song from the 70s with all its melodramatics, but it stays far from being dated. We reach the climax during the bridge where Bey’s vocals punch through and convince you she would actually rather die young than be without Jay... if you weren’t convinced already. And then comes my favourite part, after the climax, we smoothly transition down and are met with some gorgeous layered vocals. It may not shine as bright as some of the other moments on 4, but Rather Die Young has always held its own and is still a worthy addition.

Beyoncé performed the song for the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé shows at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City when she was pregnant with Grammy winner, Blue Ivy. The song has not been performed since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.125
    TOTAL POINTS: 213.75

2016:
    72/113 (-34) | 6.718 (+0.407)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @odyism )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Disappear is the first non-single that appears in the tracklist on the I Am… side of Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. Beyoncé co-wrote the song with Amanda Ghost, Ian Dench, Hugo Chakrabongse and Dave McCraken. In Disappear, Beyoncé sings about slowly losing a lover because she wasn’t totally invested in the relationship at the same time as he was. In the chorus, it seems like she is in her own head and is lamenting about how she never cared about this person, but the more she thinks about it, the more she feels she lost someone special, and as she catches her thoughts, this person disappears.

It’s one of the best ballads on I Am…, which is not saying a lot, but Disappear sets itself apart because of the subject matter and feels like a more intimate moment after the powerhouse of Halo. It’s a welcome change of direction, highlighting a different path Beyoncé went with her balladry on the first half of the album... until it gets all a bit same-y. Honestly, Disappear is not far from sounding like a Frank Ocean song. The harmonies throughout and subtle vocals are beautiful, especially in the verses where Beyoncé really utilises her lower register, which she rarely did on her previous albums.

Disappear has never been performed live by Beyoncé and yet it still has a decent 23 million streams on Spotify. At least, I think that’s decent for a 13 year old deep cut. One of the songwriters, Hugo Chakrabongse is actually signed to JAY-Z’s label, Roc Nation and he has performed the song live, which I did have a video for, but its now been made private, so here's a little clip of the Disappear demo.

nikkysan, sesita, GimmeWork and 14 others like this.
  8. I didn't give this a 10, but maybe the next person on the spreadsheet did?

9. Yes, @Phonetics Girl! I will get better at reading this darn Google Sheet ddd!

10. A song from 4, out before we even crack the top 100? I don’t think…

nikkysan, Ashling92, Ramalama and 7 others like this.
  11. I Am... Sasha Fierce could probably be left alone a while now, I think everything left from it is pretty great.

eatyourself, allyshone and Maki like this.
  12. Okay, so now we know that "Lemonade" and self-titled won't be losing any songs at least until top 100. Though I think "4" shouldn't have lost any aongs instead of self-titled - "Ring Off" and a few others could've left ages ago.

It's been a very long time since lost "Dreaming" though..

Ramalama and allyshone like this.
  13. All engines running...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.13
    TOTAL POINTS: 142.6

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 6/10

Taken from the successful collaborative album from Jay-Z and Kanye West, Watch The Throne, Lift Off finally exits the rate. The song was written by Kanye West, Jay-Z, Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean, Bruno Mars and Seal... which is quite the bunch! Mars was initially rumoured to be featured on the song and on re-listen, the chorus does feel very Bruno Mars-like, so I could definitely see him on it. However, Beyoncé ended up on the chorus and the result is great. The production, done by West, Bhasker, Dean, Pharrell Williams, Q-Tip and Don Jazzy, is really what levels the whole track up a notch. The chorus just booms with Beyoncé's bright vocals.

I'm surprised the song got this far, and maybe had it been not an optional, it would have been pushed down further, but I'm happy for its placement. The song wasn't a huge hit anywhere, but has around 45m plays on Spotify. I think it was likely overshadowed by some of the huge singles on Watch The Throne. Beyoncé has never performed the song live with Jay and Kanye, however it was used as the outro track on the first On The Run Tour, which really works actually.

Good for you Lift Off getting this far!

That's our third extra gone... 3 album tracks to go before we have our Top 100!

14. But Lemonade already lost Forward, so what are the two albums not losing anything before the top 100?

I’m glad my favourites are being left alone for the past few eliminations.

Maki and allyshone like this.
  15. It was two albums go unscathed from that point in which I said it, so this final run up to Top 100.

soratami, Robert and Maki like this.
  16. I was referring to that post mentioning the race to the top 100 will affect all but two albums (which was around top 120 or something).
    Yeah, exactly what was said above, hehe.

"Lift Off" making it so far is quite unexpected, but it's good to see it leave now.

allyshone and Robert like this.
  17. Whoops. I totally misread that post sorry!

I’m very glad it’s Lemonade and Beyoncé though!

allyshone and Maki like this.
  18. So it's actually two singles that will be dropping before the Top 100, the first being...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.133
    TOTAL POINTS: 214

2016:
    68/113 (-35) | 6.807 (+0.326)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Phonetics Girl, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 ( @allyshone )
    MY SCORE: 3.5/10

Check me being the sole lowest scorer for once!

Best Thing I Never Had was released as the second single from Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. The classic mid-tempo pop ballad has Beyoncé remembering an ex lover and being thankful that they are no longer together, as she realised that he was no good for her, using the karma saying “what goes around comes back around” as the hook. The song was co-written with Patrick “j.Que” Smith, Babyface, Antonio Dixon, Shea Taylor, Larry Griffin Jr, Caleb McCampbell and Symbolyc One. It was used to launch the album, getting a release on June 1, 2011, just a few weeks before 4 dropped.

I’ve never liked Best Thing I Never Had, I'm sorry. It's not my gig. It’s her most I Am… Sasha Fierce moment post I Am… Sasha Fierce. It seems like after the bold choice of picking Run The World (Girls) as the lead single for 4, they decided to go with the album’s most beige song as the second. It doesn’t help that it's surrounded by some of Beyoncé’s most interesting work (at that time) and it feels like this was included as the obligatory, mainstream Irreplaceable-redux sing-a-long anthem for 4. Thankfully, Best Thing I Never Had definitely felt like a final hurrah for the old, mainstream Beyoncé. I was never convinced about the premise of the song either. If you’re dedicating a whole four minutes to your ex lover, but in the same breath are claiming that you’re over them, I would be sceptical.

Funnily enough, the general public's taste in Beyoncé music is often questionable, especially in the UK, so of course, Best Thing I Never Had was a big hit here. Granted, it was helped by Beyoncé’s headlining Glastonbury slot, which helped the song peak at No.3 and go onto sell over 850,000 copies. Over in the US, the song peaked at No.16 and stayed on the charts for 19 consecutive weeks and sold over 1.3 million copies in total. Best Thing I Never Had was definitely the safe choice to launch the album and felt like much more of a success over its predecessor Run The World (Girls) at the time, however the latter went on to have more cultural impact. The song has garnered over 320m streams on Spotify, becoming the third most popular track from 4 on the streaming service.

The video, directed by Diane Martel, was also pretty successful. We get a bit of a story as we see a young Bey going to the school prom with her now ex-boyfriend. There are clips of him acting up and flirting with other girls on the dancefloor and becoming Prom King, which are interspersed with scenes of Beyoncé getting married in the present day. The latter half of the video is as schmaltzy as the song as we head to the wedding party and everyone’s basking in the love of the newlyweds. I find traditional weddings so boring. The video has around 400 million views on YouTube.

Beyoncé first performed the song at a one-off concert in Nice, France, which was in the run up to the previously mentioned Glastonbury headlining slot. The Glastonbury performance of Best Thing I Never Had was aired on the BET Awards in the US on the same day. Afterwards, Beyoncé promoted the song on many primetime shows including Jimmy Fallon, The View and The X Factor France. Also, it was added to the setlist for the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé gigs at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City and the ITV Special, A Night with Beyoncé in London. Since then, the song has not been performed in any capacity.

nikkysan, GimmeWork, Ensnare and 20 others like this.
  19. Poor 4 mistreated in yet another rate.... (I used to dislike those songs too but luckily I found Beysus several years ago. I can't say no to a vocal performance that robust!)
    Though, I'm seriously getting cross with Satan On The Sun and several non-optional extras at this point, ughhrr!

20. @Daniel_O frequently showing up in the Lowest scores with these 1s, 2s, and 3s on songs I love is my villain origin story.

nikkysan, Ramalama, Daniel_O and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.