BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 23 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. 103
    [​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.133
    TOTAL POINTS: 214

2016:
    89/113 (-14) | 5.886 (+1.247)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @TéléDex )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 ( @Ana Raquel )
    MY SCORE: 6.25/10

So this was actually a tie with Best Thing I Never Had and both received two 10s, so I had to look at the next highest scores and Video Phone received a high 9.5 score, which broke the tie.

Released as the eighth(!) single from Beyoncé’s massively successful third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce, Video Phone got the extra special treatment of a remix featuring shiny, new superstar on the scene, Lady Gaga. The song was co-written with the Diva team, Shondrae ‘Bangladesh’ Crawford and Sean Garrett, with Lady Gaga joining for the remix. In an era where phones had started to get somewhat decent quality cameras, Video Phone was an ode to putting on a show for your man’s video phone, with consent. Like with Diva, Beyoncé gets to flex her rap-singing muscles again and Gaga gets to join in on the fun for a verse.

Reviews for the song weren’t particularly positive at the time and for sure, it is not a great Beyoncé song by any means. I have always found an appeal for Video Phone in the verses which Beyoncé effortlessly flows, however the chorus lacks any kind of punch to keep up with the Sasha-fierceness of the verses. A lot of the negative reviews focused on wanting her to go back to "singing proper songs" or complaining about the "moaning and groaning" on the track, which are criticisms which are typically levelled at a woman popstar. Those I don’t agree with. Gaga manages to keep up with Beyoncé with her solo verse and her pre-chorus is pretty good as well. She ends up adding some much needed excitement... It’s just so weird to think this was like fucking 13 YEARS AGO. The absolute roller coaster rides Beyoncé and Gaga have taken us on within those years. Phew!

The remix was released on November 17, 2009, which was just over a month after Beyoncé had asked Gaga to be on the remix. They were at a Billboard Women In Music luncheon, accepting the Woman of the Year and Rising Star awards when Beyoncé had the idea. And I’m positive seeing Gaga perform at the VMAs a few weeks prior would have excited her. It’s funny because, at the time, Beyoncé was enjoying major mainstream success, whereas Gaga was literally grabbing the industry by its balls and flipping it on its head. I say "this is funny", because in the coming years, these roles would reverse as Beyoncé would find herself being the more controversial figure and Gaga would spend years dominating the mainstream. The remix ended up peaking at No.65 on the Billboard Hot 100 and overall the song has sold over 700,000 copies worldwide. It wasn’t really a big hit anywhere, and I think the hype for Gaga’s song featuring Beyoncé, aptly titled Telephone, rightfully overshadowed this one. But, it’s still really fucking cool that we got two collaborations from two of the hottest popstars on the planet within such a short space of time.

I remember being so fucking excited for the music video. It was announced mid-October 2009 that Beyoncé and Gaga were working on a video with Hype Williams, and I remember Gaga saying that she wanted to feel her Beyoncé fantasy. She let Gaga into her world, and Gaga wanted to honour her in that way. The video starts off with an homage to Quentin Tarantino’s Reservoir Dogs with Beyoncé walking to camera and all her male dancers in suits walking behind her. We then get into multiple different fashion moments throughout the video. The main highlight though is, of course, Beyoncé and Gaga’s scenes together. They both wear white leotards, have long flowing hair, dance around with toy guns and have a cute lil dance breakdown together. Beyoncé released a making of which provides a very cute look at chemistry.

Like with Telephone, Video Phone never got a live performance featuring both Beyoncé and Lady Gaga. Beyoncé did include the song on the I Am… World Tour setlist, but she used it solely as a dance number.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    nikkysan, GimmeWork, Ensnare and 23 others like this.
  2. Glad I could assist! Video Phone is a thotty little bop and a bit of cultural reset to me. Best Thing I Never Had is… there.

3. Sorry about that!

allyshone and Maki like this.
  4. Hubba hubba! I absolutely love Video Phone. Everyone I know hates it. Their loss! The way it both dated immediately ('tape me'? on your newfangled 'video telephone device'?) but also accidentally read the tea leaves with 'make a Cameo'... her mind, maybe.

sesita, allyshone, Purple and 4 others like this.
  5. What a shame. I prefer the Gaga version by a long shot, but nevertheless, I do love me some Video Phone.
    [​IMG]

allyshone, Sleepycat and Dijah. like this.
  6. Rather Die Young - 8.5
    ~ This one is peculiar and I'm not sure why fans aren't keen on it, especially when compared to other songs from "4". It does sound kinda wonky but it totally works. The chorus feels like a punch in the face (especially when she screams 'ALLL!') and production in general is very cool. The guitar is also a great addition to that already excellent instrumental. Definitely not among the weakest songs from the album (though this album is very strong in general so nearly everything from it deserved to reach top 100).

Disappear - 7.75
    ~ I was going to rant about how this surpassed the (inferior) "Satellites" by such an enormous margin, considering the two songs share similarities and I always connected them for some reason, but listening again... yeah, this is very pretty. The instrumental is really nice, as well as the vocals, and the middle-8 and outro are lovely moments. I could've scored it a tad higher actually.

Lift Off - 6
    ~ Listenable and decent? Yes. Totally unremarkable and inessential by all means? Also yes.

And I was very fooled into thinking we'd be losing 'album album tracks' only, not 'album tracks which also encompass singles' dd

allyshone, Robert and soratami like this.
  7. Video Phone is a major disappointment from a feat that had Bey and Gaga. However, I don't absolutely loathe it as I did years ago but I still don't like it at all. It could have switched places with Ego (which is just inoffensive)

allyshone and Maki like this.
  8. The evil is defeated etc...

So glad to see it gone, such a disappointing and jarring song.

9. Oh, I love Video Phone. Not to be rude to Gaga, but I actually prefer the solo version. I dunno, just don't think she's a good fit for the smooth, sexy vibe of the song.

allyshone likes this.
  10. Also very sad to see Yes and Summertime miss the top hundred. Can't help but feel the latter would be a lot better received if it had made the debut properly - feels like a great song suffering from a bonus track-esque lack of familiarity.

Hello is hardly the worst crime she committed on I Am... but I do kinda hate it for slowing down the pace of the generally more decent Sasha Fierce disc.

Meanwhile, Best Thing I Never Had is just bad. A retread of a retread. Should not be ahead of Rather Die Young.

11. Best Thing I Never Had - 8.25
    ~ I feel like people do too much over this one. While it does seem a bit by the numbers (as well as a rehash of "Irreplaceable" in a way) and sounds dated for 2011, it's a pretty great song and I usually forget I really like it. That 'what goes around...' intro and outro are my fave parts. And I always think it's a Ne-Yo production dd

Video Phone - 6.25
    ~ Don't really get the criticism for some of the ballads from this album being very of its time, when this song exists. This might be the most dated song on the entire album, actually. It's not bad, and the attitude is present, but it's just too trashy for my liking and there aren't any particularly strong melodic sections, either. The remix featuring Gaga is also very underwhelming, I think her part adds absolutely nothing.

Let me hope that one of my remaining sub-6 scores is going to be the final song to leave before the top 100.

allyshone, Maria and soratami like this.
  12. Videophone at least served at the time to showcase a different side of Gaga than that we were used to.

sesita, allyshone, Sleepycat and 2 others like this.
  13. Videophone isn’t an Ace but the dance break in the video more than makes up for any of the song’s shortcomings.

Hubba hubba!
    [​IMG]

nikkysan, sesita, TéléDex and 7 others like this.
  14. Couple more days off. Now let's get back to it and reveal our Top 100 finally...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.141
    TOTAL POINTS: 214.25

2016:
    93/113 (-9) | 5.71 (+1.431)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Back Up came as a Circuit City exclusive bonus track on B’Day… whatever that means. It was written by Anesha Birchett, LaShawn Daniels, Fred Jenkins III, Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins and Delisha Thomas. Beyoncé did not snap up a writing credit on this one, just a producer credit. In the song, Beyoncé lets you know that this is one for the club, and like with most songs made for the club, the song doesn't delve too deep. Beyoncé goes from singing in third person to first person confesses to being the baddest chick.

It’s a fun, confident record that slaps a bitsy, but like with the other B’Day bonus tracks, it’s easy to understand why it was left off the album. It's not a fit thematically, if we're talking the standard edition especially. Additionally, its loud and in your face which certainly makes it an acquired taste. I enjoy it though, but its definitely the right time for this to go I think.

15. TOP 100

[​IMG]

Crazy In Love
    Naughty Girl
    Baby Boy
    Be With You
    Me, Myself and I
    Speechless
    Dangerously In Love 2
    Work It Out
    ’03 Bonnie & Clyde

Deja Vu
    Get Me Bodied
    Suga Mama
    Upgrade U
    Ring The Alarm
    Kitty Kat
    Freakum Dress
    Green Light
    Irreplaceable
    Beautiful Liar
    Listen
    Check On It

If I Were A Boy
    Halo
    Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)
    Radio
    Diva
    Sweet Dreams
    Scared Of Lonely
    Why Don’t You Love Me

1+1
    I Care
    I Miss You
    Party
    Start Over
    Love On Top
    Countdown
    End Of Time
    I Was Here
    Run The World (Girls)
    Lay Up Under Me
    Schoolin’ Life
    Dance For You

Pretty Hurts
    Haunted
    Drunk In Love
    Blow
    No Angel
    Partition
    Jealous
    Rocket
    Mine
    XO
    ***Flawless
    Superpower
    Heaven
    Blue
    Grown Woman
    7/11
    Flawless Remix
    Ring Off
    Standing On The Sun / Standing On The Sun (Remix)

Pray You Catch Me
    Hold Up
    Don’t Hurt Yourself
    Sorry
    6 Inch
    Daddy Lessons / Daddy Lessons (with The Chicks)
    Love Drought
    Sandcastles
    Freedom
    All Night
    Formation
    Sorry (Original Demo)

SUMMER
    APESHIT
    BOSS
    HEARD ABOUT US
    BLACK EFFECT

Before I Let Go

BIGGER
    FIND YOUR WAY BACK
    MOOD 4 EVA
    WATER
    BROWN SKIN GIRL
    ALREADY
    OTHERSIDE
    MY POWER
    BLACK PARADE

BREAK MY SOUL

Feeling Myself
    Mi Gente (Remix)
    Part II (On The Run)
    Put It In A Love Song
    Runnin’ (Lose It All)
    Savage (Remix)
    Say Yes
    Sexy Lil’ Thug
    Telephone

Crazy In Love (Remix)
    You Changed

[​IMG]

nikkysan, GimmeWork, Crisp X and 16 others like this.
  16. Oh the cheer quality of this top 100... there's only one song I'd like to see vacate soon, the rest ranges from good to outstanding. What a discography!

17. People don't like Rather Die Young? JAIL!

Ashling92, Ramalama, 2014 and 8 others like this.
  18. The next songs I would have leave would be

Sexy Lil Thug
    A cute bonus track that is very of it's time. But it speaks to the nature of these rates that this thorwaway fun mixtape cover snuck into the top 100, beating out songs like Nile, Rather Die Young, Ego etc.

Beautiful Liar
    This is one of my least favorite Beyoncé singles. The production is faceless and it's one of the worst songs on B'Day (even amongst the deluxe tracks). While I love B'Day's deluxe edition for the additional videos, I think the bonus tracks and tracklisting shift really waters down what was originally a 10/10 album listening experience. But you could tell that Columbia/the team was hungry for another huge single to further catapult B'Day's global commercial success.

Scared of Lonely
    It's the precursor to Start Over. I adore the bridge and what she does with the song live. But it very much gives, "This was shopped to various competent singers". I could hear Tamia, Monica, Toni Braxton, Brandy, etc all recording their own version. It's a fine song but it's simply time for it to go.

Wishing on a Star
    This is a beautiful vocal performance that shows off the versatility and airiness that Beyoncé can bring to a record. It has a fond place in my heart, but I wouldn't have put it above songs like Disappear, Dreams, Summertime, or That's Why You're Beautiful.

Start Over
    I like Start Over, but it's my least favorite track on 4. 4 is defined by Beyoncé's gumbo of retro sounds across the decades, mixed with forward Afro-diasporic sounds. And Start Over feels a bit too faceless or like an improved version of Scared of Lonely. The majority of songs on 4, only Beyoncé could sing or create. But Start Over doesn't fit that criteria.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  19. "Back Up" was the ideal last cut before the top 100 out of the plausible options, so it's great to see it leave.

Not all of these being among my faves from their respective sections... I can't.

Phonetics Girl and allyshone like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.