BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I would like I Was Here, Runnin’ (Lose It All) and Ring Off to leave next.

Ramalama and allyshone like this.
  2. I guess I wouldn't mind a 4 cull? There are a few songs on BEYONCÉ/Lemonade that I wouldn't mind seeing leave as well but let's talk about likely things instead

allyshone likes this.
  3. No 10s for these two...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.2325
    TOTAL POINTS: 144.65

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.25 x 1 ( @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 ( @allyshone, @Aester )
    MY SCORE: 4/10

This one got the "it's a cover, let me not mark it too high because I want some of my other faves above it" score from me. It's perfectly nice though. Wishing On A Star was first included on Beyoncé's Live At Wembley CD, before being used to promote her 2004 Tommy Hilfiger fragrance, True Star. The commercial for the fragrance included an acapella version of the cover. The following year, the song was included on the soundtrack for the 2005 film, Roll Bounce where it received some radio airplay. Eventually in 2010, Beyoncé released Wishing On A Star digitally, although it's another song which is greyed out on my Spotify.

As mentioned previously, the cover is pretty nice... almost like a soft nighttime lullaby. But, #100 is a decent placement for it to reach and vacate. We just have some much quality left, it's going to get tough! The song, however, did snag Beyoncé another Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.233
    TOTAL POINTS: 217

2016:
    82/113 (-18) | 6.041 (+1.192)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 4 ( @Sprockrooster, @Ana Raquel, @Dijah., @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 4 ( @theincredibleflipper, @Maria, @Ramalama, @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

And the first song to vacate from Beyoncé's critically acclaimed Self-Tilted album is, unsurprisingly, Ring Off. This track was actually included on the Platinum edition of the album / More EP, which was released almost a year later. Ring Off details the ending of Beyoncé's parents marriage ending and letting Tina know that's there life and love after such a long union. The midtempo track has dancehall influence, which ultimately gives the feeling of positivity and light, even though the subject matter could be taken as sad.

The song was co-written and produced by Mike Caren, William Lobban-Bean, Geoff Early, Charles Hinshaw, Adam Amezaga, Dixie, Stephen Bishop, Chauncey Hollis, Mike Dean, and Sidney Swift. I think with that many credits, the song must include a sample but I can't seem to find any information about one online. Actually, I think after its release, Ring Off ended being largely forgotten by the GP and the Hive to be honest, or maybe it was overshadowed by 7/11? There is a nice reference to her own track Love On Top during the outro and some "So sexy!" adlibs which are reminiscent of N.E.R.D.'s She Wants To Move. It's a cute track with an uplifting message and overall a decent score here.

The song has never been performed live, but still has an admirable 36m streams on Spotify.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    nikkysan, sesita, GimmeWork and 21 others like this.
  4. Back Up - 5.75
    ~ I put this in the same basket as "Lost Yo Mind" - overly loud/shrill and gets pretty annoying, except this one has a very nice middle-8. A bit mind-boggling it improved so much compared to the previous rate, but I think "Summertime" still holds the biggest average jump record. Anyway, bye to this. And there are still about 10 songs I scored lower than this one oop.

Wishing on a Star - 9.25
    ~ Nearly forgot this cover existed and I'm very glad this rate made me rediscover it. The original is already a beautiful song and Bey's rendition is stunning - I could've scored this a bit higher actually. The production is just so lush and dreamy with all all these flourishes and the the softer vocals are splendid. I would normally complain about my high scores leaving too early, but seeing this placing third out of 26 songs from bonus/optional songs makes me happy.
    Also a bit surprised I was the sole highest scorer here, I assume there were a few 9s for it.

Ring Off - 6.75
    ~ Yeah, I expected this one to be the first departure from the self-titled and it's a perfectly fair choice. It just feels very inessential, and the lack of high scores justifies that. It kinda bops but nothing too memorable happens. There really isn't much to praise nor criticize when it comes to this one because it's just... there.
    This being the most consistently scored song so far (I think) makes sense though.

Daniel_O and soratami like this.
  5. I didn't appreciate Ring Off when it first came out (indeed, overshadowed by 7/11) but it's subtly quite brilliant, I love Beyoncé in uplifting mode and it's about the legend Ms Tina?? I stan.

Phonetics Girl likes this.
  6. My favorite observations and questions about Beyoncé albums, are what are the connective tissues and transitional songs that present the seeds of what the next project will be.

For example the way that Get Me Bodied is simultaneously sparse, dense, with so much of the song being built with just Beyoncé's voice commanding us to dance, feels like a precursor to Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It). The pulsating beat and feeling of southern soul, funk, and neighborhood dances are all there.

Another example is that the grit and soul and absolute SANGING that Beyoncé did on Cadillac Records, was a precursor to some of the retro moments and absolute Soul/R&B vocal virtuousity that Beyoncé was giving us on 4. The vocal performance has always been there with Beyoncé, but with Cadillac Records she tapped into a rawness and grit that usually would only appear in live performances. Then we get to the 4 recording sessions and we can hear that isn't holding anything back in the studio sessions.

This is all to say that Ring Off (a 7.5 for me) holds a special place in my heart, because you can really hear that the content of the song showed where Beyoncé was going. She was excavataing her own family's history and then really shining a light on the resilience of her mom, and how there is a way forward despite the feeling of hopelessness that can come from a divorce or family schism.
    In that way I love Ring Off because it provides such a bridge between self-titled and the eventual career defining Lemonade that sews such personal strife into healing generational curses into societal and systemic healing.

7. not the self-titled elimination i wanted to receive!!

8. PUT YOUR HANDS UP HIGH....

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.258
    TOTAL POINTS: 217.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Sprockrooster, @odyism, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

I love this track and I regret not giving it full marks. BLACK EFFECT is the eighth song on Beyoncé and Jay-Z's joint album, Everything Is Love. It was co-written with the albums' frequent collaborators Nova Wav, Rayshon Cobbs Jr. and Cool & Dre. Also, bassists Alexander Smith and Jun Kozuki get credits, the latter coming from the sample of Japanese rock band, Flower Travellin' Band's Broken Strings throughout. And we can't forget the how the song opens, with words spoken by Dr. Lenora Antoinette Stines about love and what love is needed most right now in the world. The monologue, while beautiful, caused a bit of drama as Stines was only credited for "Additional Vocals" on the album and believed she wasn't given true credit for her contribution. Stines filed a copyright lawsuit which was consequently dropped, under the assumption some kind of settlement was reached.

The song details the couple being a symbol of black wealth in America and fully accepting their culture and the culture accepting them back despite such wealth. Stine's monologue is a gorgeous way to open, so it's really a shame what happened with the lawsuit, kind of contradicting the overall message. Alas, Jay is the dominant force on BLACK EFFECT, but as always, Beyoncé does what she needs to do with her parts and whether it's notable lines, gorgeous backing vocals or adlibs, she stays having a huge presence on the track. The sample is expertly used as well.

BLACK EFFECT was one of the few lucky songs from Everything Is Love to get a live performance as it was added to the On The Run II Tour setlist in North America. I'm sad I never got to see it live! You can view a good fan compilation video of the performance below. Beyoncé stays being Jay's greatest dancing hype woman!

#Justice4EverythingIsLove

nikkysan, sesita, GimmeWork and 17 others like this.
  9. If the entirety of The Carters album is shut out of the Top 50 besides Apeshit you lot won't be seeing heaven.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  10. There are weaker songs left where Jay-Z features than songs from Everything is Love y'all

Ramalama and Phonetics Girl like this.
  11. YOU'VE GOT ME...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.298
    TOTAL POINTS: 218.95

2016:
    87/113 (-11) | 5.899 (+1.399)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 ( @Sprockrooster, @Daniel_O, @Maria, @godspeed )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Speechless marks the third slow jam to appear on the Dangerously In Love tracklist and it is probably the most 'classic' in terms of its subject. I’ve always had a love for Speechless. The six minute length might seem excessive to those who are not fans of Beyoncé’s slow jam endeavours, however Speechless should be appreciated. It’s like Rocket’s younger sister.

Let’s just talk about the vocals. Beyoncé so easily captures the essence of the song as she transitions from subtle growls to soft vocals to powerful notes towards the end of the six minutes. Plus, the additional background vocals throughout the song really help to keep things moving. Accompanied by an electric guitar, Skin by Rihanna immediately springs to mind or Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande. Unfortunately for Speechless, it’s stuck between Signs and That’s How You Like It, whereas Skin, for example, benefitted from closing Loud out. Still, Speechless is the most listened to sex jam on the album, with over 12 million streams on Spotify. But like with most R&Beyoncé, it deserves way more!

Speechless got quite a few outings from Beyoncé, including her first ever solo concert, Beyoncé Knowles: Friends and Family in Detroit. She then went on to perform the song on the Dangerously In Love European Tour, Verizon Ladies First Tour and then finally on The Beyoncé Experience Tour. Catch these performances below.

nikkysan, sesita, GimmeWork and 19 others like this.
  12. Oh no! Such a low ranking for a masterpiece like Speechless. It’s really one of her best and most unique ballads.

sesita, eatyourself, godspeed and 2 others like this.
  13. Black Effect is the exact type of song I was hoping for across The Carters. The dreamy sample, the introductory monologue about love as egg shells, and the feel good production that feels both old school and fresh.
    Not to mention HE GOOD!! WE GOOD!!
    Is an instant Beyoncéism ear worm that she has a knack for creating since DC.

The song strikes a good balance between themes that are both material and earthly but also historical, cultural, and centered on love and some of the thesis statements presented in Lemonade and 4:44. Plus Beyoncé part just elevates the song in a really inspiring way with the layering and the higher / higher moments.

Speechless I think I gave a 9! It’s easily a 10 depending on my mood but it’s such a beautiful showcase that showed immense growth between Survivor and DIL. I love the storytelling in combination with the narration, the harmonies, and that heavy but sensual quiet storm emotional palette.

I definitely had no business singing this song at 13 at the top of my lungs. I definitely had my PARENTS tell me to shut up because I was doing my best impression of the climax of the song over and over.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  14. Speechless :'(

Very glad it made top hundred, but to these ears it's a top fifty kinda track. The ultimate slow burner.

Daniel_O likes this.
  15. About Ring Off I found this:

I like that song I gave it a 8,5. I like the guitar riff, I thought it was the sampled element.

16. WHAT UP, A?

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.343
    TOTAL POINTS: 220.3

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Remorque )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Included on Alicia Key's fourth studio album, The Element of Freedom, Put It in a Love Song was released as the third single from the project, however ultimately received a limited release so Keys could push Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready) as a single instead. Written by Keys and Swizz Beatz, the uptempo number is about a woman wanting her lover to write her a love song to prove his worth to her. Keys saw Put It in a Love Song as a celebration of the artists friendship, saying, "It's nice that we just celebrate each others careers, that's what the song is about, coming together to empower each other". I never really go back to Put It in a Love Song often, but I do enjoy it whenever it's playing.

A music video, shot by Melina Matsoukas, was even filmed in Rio De Janeiro and was scheduled for release in March 2010 and a teaser was released, ending with "Stay Tuned". However, despite the promo and set pics being released all over the internet, the video has stayed locked up in a vault. Keys admitted in 2020 how she didn't actually know where the video was, but how she would like to get it out for the fans... and we're still waiting. Even though it looked like it'd be a fun and vibrant video, it must be pretty bad to still be unreleased, right?

The duo performed the song together for the Madison Square Garden date of Key's The Freedom Tour, which Billboard recorded and released a clip of.

17. AAAAnnnnnnnddd we're back to the debut...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.348
    TOTAL POINTS: 220.45

2016:
    86/113 (-10) | 5.921 (+1.427)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9.25 x 1 ( @TéléDex )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 6 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @Phonetics Girl, @Ensnare, @Lost In Japan., @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Really respectable scores for this one, despite it's placement!

This is the first proper slow jam in the tracklist on Dangerously In Love, to which I think it benefits greatly, as it’s a nice switch up from its predecessors. Like with most tracks on her debut, Be With You is about a woman making love to her man. Yes, the concept is really that simple, it’s pure foreplay. Jay-Z is just really this good in bed people! Well... Beyoncé has technically been with him her whole adult life so who knows?! I digress...

Be With You samples I’d Rather Be With You by Bootsy’s Rubber Band, which also got sampled by Childish Gambino in Redbone, which is why parts of it will seem pretty recognisable to the ears. Or you may feel yourself sliding into singing Freak Like Me by Adina Howard / Sugababes at certain points, because that song also sampled the 1976 Bootsy’s Rubber Band song. However, in an album that features multiple slow jams, Be With You sits in the middle of the pack for me. Even though, those ad-libs in the last minute of the song from early Beyoncé really kick the whole thing up a few notches. It's still a great song.

The song received a few promo performances, including on morning television! We love a good sex jam moment as you’re eating breakfast to get you ready for the day. Also, remember when Beyoncé used to perform on morning television?! This is early Beyoncé at her finest so she doesn’t really sing the choruses but ad-libs like crazy and shows that she was a vocal beast who wasn’t to be played with, even at such a young age. Be With You hasn’t been touched by Beyoncé since the Verizon Ladies First Tour in 2004.

18. Oh no, I love both of those songs! I gave "Put It In A Love Song" a 9.5 because it felt weird to give a non-Beyonce song a 10 in her rate, but now I wish I had. As a fellow Alicia, I like to pretend Beyonce's talking to me when she says "What up, A?" I'm sad that video never got released.

"Be With You" is lush and in my Dangerously In Love top 3.

19. Scream it louder bay-bay-euh!! WHEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!
    Make me feel GOOOOOooOOOOoooooDDd, BABY.
    SO GOOD. Soo good. SoooOoooOuh gUuuod.

IIII'M HAPPY WITCHU.
    You GOT ME baby.
    IaintthinkingboutnobodybutyouBabyyy!
    WheeewOohOoh
    WheeOohuhuh
    YOU HEW HEW Huhuhu woOwah

...boy I'd rather be with you....

These adlibs are ridiculously delicious.
    I gave Be With You a 9.
    I feel like early Beyoncé doesn't get enough credit because of the casual and specific flavor of misogynoir in pop culture of the early 2000s. They loved to downplay the technique and discipline and WORK required to do this level of vocal acrobatics. She may be a living legend in pop music now, but at the time of debut people just loved to either say she was oversinging *or* didn't have raw soul/emotion. Either way to go from slower album cuts like Brown Eyes and Story of Beauty, to THIS?
    Massive.
    Surreal.
    I absolutely love the 60s,70s, 80s r&b/soul that is the actual centerpiece of the DIL album. And it shines so brightly on this song.

20. It's honestly so tough to keep eliminating some top quality songs. It's like I'm giving them all the platinum plunger from All Stars 7. However, solace can be found in that all these averages are much higher than the 2016 rate. Anyway, two albums really seem to be suffering at the minute...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.391
    TOTAL POINTS: 221.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @allyshone, @Phonetics Girl, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 3 ( @Sprockrooster, @eatyourself, @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

There's a few tracks I wanted to give a boost on Beyoncé and Jay-Z's joint album, Everything Is Love, and HEARD ABOUT US was one of them. I guess it's the most conventionally "boppy" song on the album, which is not a bad thing as it provides a different flavour, production-wise, from the other tracks. HEARD ABOUT US keeps with the theme on the album, talking about the couple being at the top and dealing with disrespect. Co-credits on the track go to Boi-1da, Nija, Jahaan Sweet, Vinylz, Illmind along with James Mtume, Trackmasters, P.Diddy and The Notorious B.I.G. for the samples.

One of my favourites lyrics from Bey's verse here is, "They don't want Yoncé on their door, Louis Slugger to your four door, Careful you get what you asked for"... which is a nice little reference to Beyoncé taking her Louisville Slugger baseball bat and smashing cars in Hold Up. The Juicy sample, like with most of the samples on Everything Is Love, is also used as a great nod. A great 3 minute bop and a top collaboration between the couple.

Sadly the song was never performed on the On The Run II Tour, but is currently approaching 27m streams on Spotify. It deserves more! Let me have a bop and give it another stream!

[​IMG]

#Justice4EverythingIsLove​

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.