BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. What is happening.
    [​IMG]

nikkysan, Robert, Ensnare and 7 others like this.
  2. WTF HEARD ABOUT US is Top 3 from EVERYTHING IS LOVE, easily Top 5 of Jay-Z collabs I don't understand!!!1!1!
    Fuck outta here Part II On The Run

nikkysan, Robert, sesita and 2 others like this.
  3. Put It In A Love Song is not a big loss and should have gone a lot earlier.
    Be With You is a great and a definite highlight from the first album.
    Heard about Us is probably the best song on Everything Is Love, but that's not saying much.

allyshone likes this.
  4. I don't think we'll be touching this album for a while now...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.451
    TOTAL POINTS: 223.55

2016:
    77/113 (-17) | 6.269 (+1.182)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 5 ( @boombazookajoe, @Daniel_O, @Remorque, @Maki, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 6/10

First featured on the Destiny’s Child album, Survivor, released in 2001, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to say Beyoncé wrote this about Jay-Z, who she had met at that point. It would then make sense for her to re-record the song in 2002, and then make it the titular track of her debut album, and then stick a ‘2’ on the end to let people know it’s a tiny bit different. Dangerously In Love, both song and album, and like all of the Beyoncé albums to come after it, have Jay-Z at the very core.

After a great start to her debut, once we get to Dangerously In Love it becomes apparent that we don’t exactly need another classic ballad, especially coming after The Closer I Get To You. However, Dangerously In Love is just that… a classic ballad. Maybe it suffered for me because of its placement. Of course there were greater Beyoncé ballads to come in the future, however Dangerously In Love is a powerful vocal showing for young Beyoncé. It did go on to earn the Queen another Grammy for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, which was fitting as she chose to perform Dangerously In Love that night in a gown fit for Gizelle Bryant from The Real Housewives of Potomac and with a surprise entrance from a bird at the end. T’Challa who? It's a must watch!

Dangerously In Love did manage to have some mild success on the charts, despite never officially being a single, reaching No.57 on the Billboard Hot 100. It also went on to sell over 1.1 million copies worldwide and currently has a respectable 55 million listens on Spotify.

Other than the Grammys, Beyoncé has performed Dangerously In Love here, there and everywhere, probably to prove to ignorant naysayers that she is a S-I-N-G-E-R. From The Dangerously In Love European Tour to the Verizon Ladies First Tour to The Beyoncé Experience Tour up until The I Am… World Tour, where she slowly began to phase out performing the song, including it in a medley with Sweet Dreams and Sweet Love (Anita Baker cover). In addition, it got some decent TV promo, including Saturday Night Live and VH1 Divas. Watch a collection of these performances below!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  5. I love the performance from The Beyoncé Experience tour. The medley with He Loves Me was a true moment.

sesita and Maki like this.
  6. Okay, this will be the last elimination from this one for a while as well...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.495
    TOTAL POINTS: 224.85

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @boombazookajoe )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 1 ( @Maki )
    MY SCORE: 7/10

This cut leaves the joint album between Beyoncé and Jay-Z, Everything Is Love, with two songs left in the rate. BOSS was co-written with Dernest Emile II and Ty Dolla Sign, where the latter is also credited with providing additional vocals, along with Blue Ivy.

The production brings back some of the horn instrumentation which has been present throughout Beyoncé's career, as the couple talk about the amount of wealth they have amassed, and how that will affect their children. Beyoncé has a great line, saying "my great-great-grandchildren already rich, that's a lot of brown chi'lren on your Forbes list". It's a powerful statement and gives context as to why Bey talks about money and being a "boss", ending with Blue Ivy, "Shout out to Rumi and Sir, love, Blue".

The song has never been performed live and unlikely will be unless Bey and Jay embark on an On The Run III Tour. BOSS is the third most popular track on Spotify, with around 45m streams coming behind SUMMER and APESHIT... just like this rate funnily enough!

#Justice4EverythingIsLove​

7. I can’t even feign shock anymore dddd.

8. I mean … I hope some of y’all are thinking what I’m thinking.

Kyliéyoncé, Ensnare, sesita and 5 others like this.
  9. 10s across the board... ish!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.495
    TOTAL POINTS: 224.85

2016:
    63/113 (-29) | 7.035 (+0.481)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 7 ( @boombazookajoe, @Ana Raquel, @Phonetics Girl, @Dijah., @soratami, @sesita, @Lost In Japan. )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Nicki Minaj's popularity has certainly waned over the past few years due to her own questionable choices, but back in 2014, she was still an exciting artist to follow and there was even a moment in time where I was interested in a collaboration album between both Nicki and Beyoncé! I thought that would have been such a groundbreaking idea. Feeling Myself is such a banger. Nicki and Beyoncé kill every word on this song, making it quotable, fun and easy to bop along too. It also birthed the iconic line, "changed the game when that digital dropped... I stopped the world". Only Beyoncé!

After the pair collaborated on the Flawless Remix, Nicki wanted Beyoncé to feature on her upcoming album in return. SZA was enlisted to co-write parts of Feeling Myself, while Beyoncé and Hit-Boy produced. The final mixing was done just a month before the album was set to be released. Despite not being a single, Feeling Myself still made an impact with the GP. Seriously, The Pinkprint could have been the CLASSIC it was intended to be had it been blessed with better quality control, single choices and management. But, alas, Feeling Myself went on to sell over 2m copies in the US, charted at #39 on the Billboard Hot 100 with no push and currently has amassed an impressive 330m streams on Spotify.

A really fun video was created for the song, which was shot while the pair were partying at Coachella. However, the video was made a god damn TIDAL exclusive, so hardly anyone got to see it! You can watch it above.

Both Beyoncé and Nicki have performed the song on their respective tours since its debut. Beyoncé usually mixes the song with ***Flawless. In 2015, the dynamic duo performed the song at the Tidal X1020 Charity Concert, which was when Nicki used to actually move on stage! The performance deserved to be on a major award show. Also, a little behind the scenes video was released showing the pair at dance rehearsals.

I feel like Beyoncé had, and still probably does have a tonnes of respect for Nicki. She even released a little song dedicated to her in 2015 to promote the performance.

R.I.P. to the girl Nicki used to be!

10. These eliminations are giving “I can’t wait until fun pop Beyoncé is back.”

11. Excuse me but "Dangerously in Love 2" is one of her best ballads, how is it out yet? And those live performances... wig.

Robert, sesita, Dijah. and 3 others like this.
  12. Sorry @boombazookajoe, I feel like I'm having to eliminate all your 10s recently...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.553
    TOTAL POINTS: 226.6

2016:
    73/113 (-18) | 6.494 (+1.059)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @boombazookajoe, @Maria, @godspeed )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 4 ( @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @sesita, @TheOnlyOne )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Part II (On The Run) is a song taken from Jay-Z's twelfth studio album, Magna Carta Holy Grail and was used as the inspiration behind the title of the couple's joint tour, On The Run. Viewed as a sequel to '03 Bonnie & Clyde, this song is an Electro-R&B ballad produced by Timbaland and J-Roc, with additional songwriting credits going to Jay, Beyoncé and James Fauntleroy. Why are Beyoncé and Jay-Z on the run? Well, I believe the idea is, they are a couple in love but at the epic-centre of celebrity and fame and to maintain their privacy, they stay on the run from all the trappings that come with fame i.e. money, drugs, ego, fake friends, power etc.

The production is what truly what hooks me into this song every time I listen to it. It's dreamy and ethereal in places, which showcases Beyoncé's softer vocal approach on the track. I really enjoy the concept of being "on the run" from fame as well and how it works as a sequel to '03 Bonnie & Clyde. The couple can't have a "real life" if give in to their celebrity, the moments where they are alone is what is "real".

It was initially thought a music video was being shot for the song, however it turned out to be a faux-trailer to promote the tour and it featured a load of their celebrity friends. Obviously, the song was then performed on both On The Run tours, coming towards the end of the first and the beginning of the latter.

nikkysan, godspeed, soratami and 16 others like this.
  13. [​IMG]

This is what hell feels like isn’t it.

14. *Exits thread*

15. I think you'll be able to rest for a little bit... soon.

[​IMG]

nikkysan, soratami, Robert and 3 others like this.
  16. These last couple songs could've all stayed on for another twenty to thirty spots, like damn...

[​IMG]

...except for Dangerously in Love. She had no business outlasting Be With You, Speechless or my baby Yes. Goodbye!

17. A new album takes a cut FINALLY... but is it deserved?

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.575
    TOTAL POINTS: 227.25

2016:
    66/113 (-24) | 6.896 (+0.679)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Remorque, @eatyourself, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Co-written with Darkchild, LaShawn Daniels, Cristyle, Rico Love and the great Solange Knowles, Scared of Lonely marks the end of the tracklist on the deluxe edition of Beyoncé’s third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. The song is more nuanced than some of the other songs on the album as Beyoncé sings about her struggles of feeling alone, which is understandable as a touring force. The song is a lot darker than most of the material on the album as well, especially on the Sasha Fierce side, which combined with the underlying drum beat and mid-tempo flow, provides a more memorable experience to end the album on.

Scared of Lonely is nice. It’s not a mighty Beyoncé anthem by any means, but a bop nonetheless and on I Am… Sasha Fierce, any kind of decent bops are most welcome! I would have probably given this a higher rating had this rate happened nearer the albums release, however no one can deny that the production feels more dated in 2022. I’m going to mainly blame this on the throbbing drum beat. Overall, Scared of Lonely is a cute girl and has over 20m streams on Spotify, which is definitely respectable for a little album track.

The song was first performed as part of the I Am… World Tour before it was cut from the setlist after a handful of shows. It was then included on the I Am… Yours setlist for the revue shows in Vegas.

18. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Put It In A Love Song is a mega bop and easily the biggest loss yet - it would've been huge I know it.

19. The way I keep losing both my highest and lowest scores alternatingly... pure chaos.

"Scared of Lonely" was among my 11-contenders but I'll talk about it later.

soratami, Robert, Daniel_O and 2 others like this.
  20. These last Everything Is Love tracks deserve SO much better. Scared of Lonely outlasting them... I mean.

By the way, I forgot to say how much I hate the Best Thing I Never Had music video. And I adore basically everything B does.

nikkysan, godspeed, Ensnare and 4 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.