BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 26 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Scared of Lonely was very important for me as a young ghey in high school because if even Beyoncé hated/feared some sides of herself then it was fine if I did too.

soratami, Robert, allyshone and 3 others like this.
  2. Scared Of Lonely is good, but the live slowed down version is so much better.

allyshone likes this.
  3. I like "Scared Of Lonely," but I strongly agree about Everyhing Is Love deserving better. And "Part II (On The Run)." I never thought I'd say poor Jay-Z, but in this case: poor Jay-Z!

godspeed, soratami, allyshone and 2 others like this.
  4. BLACK EFFECT - 6.25
    ~ Must be one of the very best uses of a sample I've ever heard. In fact, the instrumental version of this song would've probably gotten a 10 from me. Shame the song itself is... that. I feel like I could've bumped its score further thanks to that glorious sample and Bey's parts, but whenever hearing it I can't help but think when will Jay-Z shut up on this track, hehe.
    Not me thinking the eliminated song was "BLACK PARADE" for good 30 seconds ddd

Speechless - 5.5
    ~ Unpopular opinion here, but I'm generally not a fan of these long, sensual songs and that doesn't escape Bey, unfortunately. However, I likely underscored it a tiny bit because she's killing it with the vocals and the production is so well-executed, electric guitar and all. Still, the melody is all over the place and it really ends up dragging by the end. It's my least favourite track from the album's standard edition but so I'm glad it's out now (I actually isn't expect this one to go so far at all, but I was probably looking too much into the results of the previous rate).

Put It in a Love Song - 7.5
    ~ This is boppy yet still lacks a proper spark for it to be properly great. I love the verses and the chorus is pretty catchy though gets a bit repetitive. Overall, a fun tune but not a standout. Didn't know there was supposed to be a music video, a bit of a missed opportunity there.

Be With You - 8.25
    ~ Whew at how consistently scored this one is. Only 3.25 points of difference between high and low scores is truly outstanding. Now this one I can call a smooth jam - it flows so nicely and the instrumental isn't monotonous which keeps the listener's attention, even though there aren't any sections I would call spectacular. Fabulous ad-libs, as mentioned, further make the song stand out. I feel it could've easily been an 8.5 from me but not like that matters now. Definitely one of the very few worthwhile non-singles from this album.

"Be With You" and "Dangerously in Love 2" are the perfect top 2 album tracks from the debut, and now I hope the latter stays as long as possible (Edit: ... welp). "Work It Out" is overstaying its welcome for sure when it comes to the remaining songs from that section.

soratami, Robert, allyshone and 2 others like this.
  5. The way @allyshone was like "sorry for eliminating all of your 10s you'll be safe this round" and eliminated Scared of Lonely (which I think I gave a 9).

I'm not a clown at this point I'm the whole damn circus.

nikkysan, godspeed, soratami and 7 others like this.
  6. ddddd @boombazookajoe, I said you'd be able to rest "soon" not immediately... so after this next elimination you'll be okay for a little bit, but before that... you will have to get mad about...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.591
    TOTAL POINTS: 227.75

2016:
    59/113 (-30) | 7.149 (+0.442)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 ( @boombazookajoe, @eatyourself, @sesita, @klow )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Rocket is the eighth track on Beyoncé's self-titled fifth studio album released in 2013. Co-written with Miguel, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland and J-Roc, Rocket is the slow and sensual sex jam on the album, opening with the lines, "let me sit this aaaaassssssssss on you". If you're a fan of a Bey sex jam, then Rocket is going to hit all of those buttons... if you're not well... this one isn't going to be for you. The full track is a delicious 6m31s and while some will say it's far too long, I believe it's because Beyoncé wants you to stay in it, vibe in it, sink into it... This is coming from someone who has never had this kind of "making love" in the bedroom. But too much information... we can stick to Beyoncé. Didn't expect this to get too far, but it's still an underrated banger in her back catalogue.

Talking about the writing process, Miguel recalled what Beyoncé told him, "Listen I feel so empowered at this time and place. You'll have to put me on a pedestal, like, never mind that it's Beyoncé. I wanna make music that makes me feel or shows that I feel hot and I'm confident and I wanna feel empowered." She, herself, likened the song to having a similar vibe to D'Angelo's Untitled (How Does It Feel) and is more about being a grown, married woman with kids still exploring and enjoying her sexuality. Beyoncé talks about the song in the Honesty portion of the Self-Titled little docu-series released on YouTube and also includes a clip of the studio recording which is always magical. After a take, Timberlake says "there's something wrong with you".

Beyoncé performed Rocket as part of the medley at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards, where she her silhouette on her now infamous chair, as seen in the Partition video. The song was then given an outing on the Formation World Tour, where she samples the aforementioned Untitled (How Does It Feel) for a line before going into the chair dance.
    Fuck that tour was fucking insane!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. @Daniel_O: very serious question meant with all my sincerity and respect:

Do you like Beyonce?

nikkysan, GimmeWork, Robert and 3 others like this.
  8. she’s my favorite artist. But she has songs that I don’t like, and I had no problem giving them low scores. She has many many terrific songs that I rated a lot higher and wanted to give them a better chance.

9. Um? Come again?

[​IMG]

10. Feeling Myself has been done so wrong. I was Flawless Remix stan so for Bey and Nicki to collaborate again, and for it to be as good as that, and a true two-hander between them both at the top of their game. “Changed the game with that digital drop”?? The way it pops off every time she does it live? And the video at Coachella is peak B just being silly.

11. Rocket's elimination is the one I feel the finest with ffffff BEYONCÉ has a LOT of 10s but there is a bunch of tracks I really don't care about, and Rocket falls into the latter.

Boss, though? Feeling Myself???

12. I'm sorry what the fuck is happening on this damn day?!

nikkysan, godspeed, Ramalama and 4 others like this.
  13. oh oh oh oh oh oh oh no no...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.611
    TOTAL POINTS: 159.85

2016:
    69/113 (-19) | 6.782 (+0.829)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Phonetics Girl, @Dijah., @soratami )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    MY SCORE: 6/10

And our little optional extras section is left with one track remaining as the Crazy In Love (Remix) get the chop! Re-recorded for the 2015 film, Fifty Shades Of Grey, the remix removes the Jay-Z feature, slows the iconic debut single down and switches the production to give an entirely different feel. BOOTS was enlisted to handle the new production, with Margot adding some gorgeous violin arrangements, having worked with Beyoncé on Superpower and Blue previously. The remix was initially used in the first trailer for Fifty Shades, before being released officially on Bey's birthday on September 4, 2015.

I'm always going to be a sucker for the original, but the remix is not bad at all. It does exactly what it sets out to do. Beyoncé first performed the song at the 2015 Made In America Festival before adding it to the Formation World Tour setlist. At one of the dates, Bey's wooden box prop failed, causing her to giggle as she tries to maintain sexy. A really funny moment which you can view here on YouTube, it's unavailable for embed.

14. Oh fucking hell.

GimmeWork, soratami, Dijah. and 2 others like this.
  15. Just to make you feel a little better @Ensnare...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.616
    TOTAL POINTS: 228.5

2016:
    64/113 (-23) | 6.943 (+0.673)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 5 ( @Sprockrooster, @Daniel_O, @Lost In Japan., @Music Is Death, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 4 ( @Ana Raquel, @Aester, @Maria, @Ramalama )
    MY SCORE: 6/10

Written by Diane Warren, I Was Here is a pop power ballad about leaving an impact on the world and it was included on Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. Warren was inspired to write a “career song” after the September 11th terror attacks. I Was Here is the only song on the album which was not co-written by Beyoncé, however she handled the vocal production on the song, and OneRepublic members, Ryan Tedder and Brent Kutzle worked on other aspects of production with Kuk Harrell. Warren initially played the song for Jay-Z over the phone in May 2011, and once Beyoncé heard it, she fell in love and felt like it would complete her album. Beyoncé recorded the song, with Warren present, who has since called the experience as one of the best moments of her life and saying, “I’ve never had chills through my entire body like I had from hearing Beyoncé sing this song”.

To give credit where credit’s due, I do believe I Was Here achieves what its meant to, which is to serve us some kind of epic, melodramatic power ballad. Yet, it doesn’t particularly feel necessary or relevant to the rest of the album. The song itself is just okay for me. Although, it did serve when Beyoncé used it to soundtrack a montage of her life.

Despite not being released as a single, I Was Here still found an audience as the locals always eat this kind of shit up. It appeared on a few charts over the globe and became a steady seller, with over 450,000 copies sold and a respectable 80 million streams on Spotify. Not bad for a little Diane Warren track. I can’t believe at the time of me initially doing these write ups, Diane Warren was attempting to win an Academy Award for the 12th time, and now she has lost 13 times thanks to Billie Eilish. Her reaction was priceless.

Beyoncé performed the song for the United Nations World Humanitarian Day and the performance was subsequently used as the music video for the song. She appeared in a floor length, white Marc Bouwer dress and sang in front of a gigantic screen which projected images of U.N. aid workers at the scene of natural disasters, wars and famine. Map pins appear with the song title on them, tracing a path across the globe showing all the places humanitarian work has been done. Beyoncé dedicated the performance to 22 humanitarian workers who lost their lives in a terrorist attack in Iraq on August 19, 2003. The video ends, asking the question ‘What Will You Do?’. The song was performed at the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City. Elsewhere, Beyoncé sang the song for A Night With Beyoncé in London and then used the song as an interlude at the Revel and Mrs Carter World Tour shows.

16. You guys dropped both Rocket and the Crazy in Love remix already? Do you hate sex?! Tu ne t'intéresses pas au sexe??? Les hommes pensent que les féministes détestent le sexe.

I Was Here's best asset is once again Beyoncé's vocal masterclass, but as song it feels too self-serious too early in her career. In hindsight it does feel like a moment to reflect what she'd achieved before what was going to come next, but it's so intense and melodramatic in its form that it comes off as a bit... too calculated.

17. Did I Was Here deserve a 10? Probably not, but I knew it would be done wrong so I wanted to throw it some extra support. I’m generally a sucker for a bit of a schlocky ballad that could be a Winners Single, so it ticks all the boxes… It’s also used brilliantly/touchingly in the (excellent) film The Meddler with Susan Sarandon, so I gave it some points for that.

Crazy In Love (Remix) didn’t hit for me until she performed it at Made in America with that wood staging, that was a classic that was a classic.

Phonetics Girl and allyshone like this.
  18. Two more extras take a dip... one literally...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.625
    TOTAL POINTS: 228.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 ( @theincredibleflipper, @Ana Raquel, @Remorque, @soratami )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 2 ( @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl )
    MY SCORE: 7/10

In September 2017, Beyoncé dropped a remix of J Balvin and Willy William's Mi Gente, donating all the proceeds to hurricane relief charities in Mexico, Puerto Rico and other Caribbean Islands. Balvin and William reached out to Beyoncé as their top choice for the remix. Upon release, the remix was hugely popular with both critics and fans alike. The remix helped the reach #3 on the Billboard Hot 100, proving that once again... Beyoncé can have a hit song in the US if she wants to. I mean, she's proving it right now with Break My Soul, but her haters will still say she's unable to get a hit or isn't a "popstar" anymore. What a load of BS!

A music video was put together, which featured many famous faces, none of them being Beyoncé unfortunately. She performed the song at Coachella in 2018 where Balvin joined her on stage for Weekend 2, and then consequently on the On The Run II Tour.

It's a really fun bop and again, it's another chance to hear Beyoncé just talk shit on a track, the most notable lyric here being, "if you really love me make an album about me, word up".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.661
    TOTAL POINTS: 229.85

2016:
    55/113 (-30) | 7.263 (+0.398)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @eatyourself, @sesita, @TéléDex )
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 ( @klow )
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Now in September 2015, Naughty Boy announced he'd be releasing his single Runnin' (Lose It All) featuring Beyoncé and Arrow Benjamin. The following day, the song was released online. Runnin' is a power ballad, with drum and bass elements running through it. The song was written by Jonny Coffer and Carla Marie Williams as well as the three main artists. With its release, the song was popular in Europe and especially in the UK, as this kind of sound is definitely synonymous with British dance music. Runnin' sold over 600,000 copies and peaked at #4 on the Official Charts in the UK.

The music video, directed by Charlie Robins, is particularly striking due to it being shot completely underwater, with the two divers doing all sorts of crazy running upside down shit that was immediately a WTF moment on first watch. It's really beautiful. The song itself, while I understand its qualities, is a bit of a "meh" for me overall. Throughout this rate, it's really interesting to see what kind of Beyoncé makes people tick, and this one... doesn't. It's Beyoncé, so I still enjoy it to some degree though!

Beyoncé performed the song on the Formation World Tour throughout 2016.

19. Okay but they both absolutely slap. We definitely should’ve kept them a bit longer.

20. Mi Gente in particular is such a banger. Great track originally, elevated even further with Bey on it - similar to Savage (which I'm praying can hang on a lot longer).

Purple, soratami, RainOnFire and 5 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.