BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Runnin' and Mi Gente are both 10s

2. Once we get to the top 100 and people are consistently handing out anything below a 4, it just feels strange.
    I understand that Beyoncé has such an expansive fanbase, all with different tastes.
    But it's so grating and perhaps trollish to see some of these songs get 1 scores?

To me a 1 or 0 means the song is abhorrent or truly offensive to the point that it's unlistenable.
    For example the last bars of Walk On Water by Eminen, cancel out so much of the beauty that Beyoncé provides on the chorus and takes it to 1 territory for me. The cringe-worthy lyrics on a song like Daddy make me understand when people give it a 1. The Ed Sheeran of it all, makes me understand when people give Perfect Duet a 0.

But songs like Rocket, Feeling Myself, Rather Die Young, and the songs from the Carters getting 1s???
    (I'm trying not to call anyone out because at the end of the day we are just rating a discography for funsies. But it's strange to see those songs get 1s and God Bless the USA get a 6)

nikkysan, Maki, BubblegumBoy and 9 others like this.
  3. Mi Gente is incredible.

Ashling92, GimmeWork, Purple and 4 others like this.
  4. HEARD ABOUT US - 6.75
    ~ This is among the best songs from the album, which isn't a big feat at all. The hook is pretty strong and it's a compact song compared to majority of the album. The rest doesn't really have much about it to make me want to return to it.

Dangerously in Love 2 - 10
    ~ One of my favourite songs by Destiny's Child, which ultimately makes my favourite song from this album and one of my faves by Beyoncé in general. Such a wonderful ballad. The only thing I had to warm up for is the bridge, which has a weird transition - everything else is absolutely on point. The ad-libs in the outro are probably one of the most beautiful things I’ve heard in R&B music. Glad that it was ranked as the best album track from the debut but it still deserved to do so much better.

BOSS - 4.5
    ~ I like the use of brass instrumentation here but a this song sounds annoying for the most part and doesn't appeal to me. There's really not much to grasp on here, either.
    And it was today I found out Ivy doesn't say "shout out to real Beyoncé" at the end of this song... oops.

Feeling Myself - 4
    ~ I totally forgot they collaborated besides that "Flawless" remix and honestly it should've stayed that way. This is mainly trash and this score was generous in retrospect. No decent hook in sight and Nicki's rapping just irritates me. Can't believe it received so many 10s, but at least it was polarizing enough not to last even longer.

By the way, that little song dedicated to Nicki is cute, don't think I've heard it before.

sesita likes this.
  5. I always thought the Mi Gente lyric was “if you really love me make an album with me” and was talking about her being the driving force behind Everything is Love.

allyshone likes this.
  6. I gave Mi Gente a 3, actually. Just in case there's any input mistake.
    But good riddance, can't believe these 2 quick little singles outlasted so many pivotal moments in her career.

Ramalama and allyshone like this.
  7. Updated! Was meant to say “3 x 2”.

soratami, Maki and Phonetics Girl like this.
  8. Exactly. On the opposite end of that spectrum, when I see some of the 10s being dished out, I'm like... for me, any song I'd give a 10 to is one that I would happily see actually win the rate. There are many tracks here that I think are 10/10s that I didn't give 10s to, purely because we're rating on a spectrum on Beyoncé-only tracks within a rate, so have to find a way to differentiate the absolute best of the best from other tracks that I love. I honestly only handed out six 10/10s, plus my one 11/10.

I then try and rate other tracks against my 10s, and ask myself whether I think this 6/10 song is 60% as good as the 10s. If so, cool, it gets a 6. That's just the way I go about it - I was a bit crammed in voting this time and would definitely go back and make adjustments (particularly now seeing the way a lot of this is now skewing), but I think I was largely sound in my decisions.

nikkysan, Purple, allyshone and 2 others like this.
  9. I had assumed I Was Here left a while back. It's totally fine for what it is, but even by 4 it felt like Bey was beyond those kind of vocal showcases?

Savage is certainly the best of the extras and I'd hope the results reflect that! Though the recent eliminations have me worried.

allyshone likes this.
  10. I love seeing how other people go about their voting process!
    I think I did something similar with my votes, but I was generous with my 10s especially knowing how some people act with ballads and hip-hop. And just got a bit more granular e.g. "If Hello is an 8.75 then Scared of Lonely is a 7.25".

I think with Beyoncé the additional layers that make it fun, but layered and sometimes difficult to hand out scores are

- The totality of the songs. Meaning that she has done so much with certain songs via live performance, different arrangements, or music videos that at a certain point it's hard to erase the effect that has on the songs for me. To be more specific there are plenty of singles like Halo, Diva, and Crazy In Love where the number would be lower if I were to only take the studio recording into consideration.
    I think luckily at this point enough of the songs have had a video or live performance or greater context to help keep things balanced. But some of the earlier songs and extras certainly don't have the same opportunity to shine

- The impact of the song when it was first released compared to now. When you have lived through certain eras, and had time for some songs to grow with you or fall away it can be really interesting to see what aged well and what initial favorites end up being closer to filler.

- The song in the context of the album and the tension of how it can shine in that context versus the entire discography. This is where things can get difficult because to me there are IASF 10s, but they aren't the same as a 10 from Lemonade/BEYONCE/4. So then they can shift to be 9s

11. Exactly me. Obviously everyone has their strategies and voting scale, as they are allowed to. For me, 10s go to songs I would be happy winning or songs that I would normally award somewhere from an 8.5/9 that I know will be tanked on forum dot pop justice dot com and need the boost (usually ballads ddd).

If I ever use "strategy" though, it's only to the benefit of songs, not at the detriment of songs. (Ex: if I think a huge popular single is an 8, I'm going to give it an 8, not a 6 just because I know it will do well regardless. But if a ballad is a 9, I may give it a 10 because I know it needs all the help it can get.)

To each their own! But the number of 1s and 2s, especially in a discog rate (as opposed to a verses rate) have been a bit wild to me ddd.

allyshone, Maki, odyism and 1 other person like this.
  12. Runnin' was also used in this ad to grand effect I think. That Beyoncé definitely makes me tick, I gave the song a 9.1.

Mi Gente (Remix) 9, I didn't know there was another version.
    Everybody has different opinions, that's what makes this place interesting. I welcome diversity.
    Rate as you are, discover your Beyoncé. To each their own.

13. Part II (On The Run) - 6.75
    ~ It's been so long since I last heard this that I forgot this song existed. That being said, I expected more from this. It's a cute idea for them to do a second part of "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" about then years later and the song is nice, but I can't recall much about it except the atmospheric production, so it fails to stand out. The first part is definitely superior.

Scared of Lonely - 10
    ~ I may post about this one separately because it's a gorgeous song and one of my absolute faves.

Rocket - 6.25
    ~ Similarly to "Speechless", I'm just not a fan of these slow, sexy tunes (that also applies to "Dance for You", which I think completes the trilogy of that aspect). As much as they are supposed to be a 'mood', they just bore me. I bumped the score up a bit for this one since the production is really good and the chorus is nice, but the song as a whole really isn't going anywhere (especially in terms of melody) and I really wish it was over halfway through. Comparing this to the climax of "Speechless" (I gave that song a score of 5.5), I could've scored it a bit lower to match but it's out now anyway. It's not my lowest score from the self-titled though.
    (a bit mind-boggling to see @Daniel_O scoring "Speechless" a 10 yet giving a 1 to "Rocket", but each to their own...)

Crazy in Love (Remix) - 8.25
    ~ I think this is one of the very few (like two or three) songs I don't recall ever hearing before this rate and it was a half-discovery. Now I feel like a fool for trying to remove this from the song list because it's such a different and creative spin on the original that it truly sounds like a completely different song. The build-up, the production/instrumentation and the occasional backing vocals are excellent but I'm not sure how to feel about the moaning and the singing style in general... it comes off a bit try-hard. Anyway, it's nice to see this one reach top 100 at least.

Despite being a nice song, "You Changed" is a bit of an odd choice for the winning song from the bonus/optional section, as I think there are definitely better options. I assume it got scored very consistently which helped.

14. Mi gente is a banger in pretty much every version? This one wasn't different.

I'm not into the crazy in love remix (perhaps for being too used to the original) and I was here screams song an idol/the voice/xfactor contest would sing their heart out to showcase their ~incredible vocals trope and I'm usually tired of those.

Crisp X likes this.
  15. Two more to end the day...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.681
    TOTAL POINTS: 230.45

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 ( @sesita, @klow, @Music Is Death, @Ramalama )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @theincredibleflipper )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

The last song to leave from Homecoming: The Live Album is, no surprise, Before I Left Go. Recorded for the 2019 documentary and included on the live album, Before I Left Go is a cover of the R&B group Maze's single of the same title, with an interpolation of Cameo's Candy running through it. Additionally, Beyoncé adds a new verse about Coachella. She did the damn thing!

Frankie Beverly, who founded Maze and wrote the song was really happy with the cover, saying "She’s a great friend of mine, but I didn’t know she was going to do this. I was hearing stuff, but I didn’t even want to approach her about it. She kept it quiet, until her people called me one day maybe a week or two ago. When they played it, that’s when I heard the first draft of it, and I was blown away. It’s a blessing. It’s amazing how she works, she’s very smart. I’m caught off guard, but in a beautiful way. She’s such a sweet person too. She’s a very sweet, religious kind of person. Then the way she just released it, it’s off the chain. She’s done so much, this is one of the high points of my life."

Cute!

The song is full bop and makes me want to party. I played it a lot on its release and still give it regular plays today. For a little bonus track, Before I Let Go still charted, peaking at #65 on the Billboard Hot 100 and has currently garnered over 60m streams on Spotify. I would totally appreciate a performance of this one day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.683
    TOTAL POINTS: 230.5

2016:
    80/113 (-3) | 6.133 (+1.55)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 4 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @soratami, @TheOnlyOne )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    MY SCORE: 6.5/10

Chosen as the lead single from the Austin Powers in Goldmember soundtrack, where Beyoncé starred as Foxxy Cleopatra, Work It Out was then later included on international editions of Dangerously In Love. The song was Beyoncé’s first official solo single and was produced and written with The Neptunes, which means this was Beyoncé and Pharrell’s first "official" collaboration. Britney also made a cameo in the film, and the Pharrell produced Boys (The Co-Ed Remix) served as the second single from the soundtrack. How lucky was Austin Powers to get Beyoncé and Britney in the same film and on the soundtrack!

Anyway, the song, like Beyoncé’s performance in the film, is pretty fun. Influenced by 1970s funk, Work It Out and the horns capture the energy of the genre and if you’re coming after the dross at the end of Dangerously In Love, the energy is much needed. Beyoncé has many entertaining ad libs and riffs throughout the song, telling you to “Break it down now!”, demanding “C’mon child, blow your horn now!” and shouting “Bridge!” right before she heads into the bridge. It's camp!

The song has pretty much been forgotten by the locals now with only 6 million streams on Spotify, despite reaching No.7 in the UK. Work It Out failed to make an imprint on the Billboard Hot 100 though, but reached No.1 on the US Dance Club Songs chart, where Beyoncé has 22 No.1’s behind Madge and Rihanna. Work It Out sold around 350,000 worldwide.

When talking about music videos, often the discussion turns to whether the artist can command a simple video all by themselves or whether they need a storyline / gimmicks to deliver a decent product. Beyoncé proves here, in her first official solo video, that she is a performer through and through despite only having a few setups she is giving absolutely everything. She is flailing her arms, hula-hooping and stomping around giving her best Tina Turner impersonation and it’s all very enjoyable. The ability this woman has to sell a song is INSANE. It’s just a shame there’s some of Michael Myers horrifying looking characters spliced in between Beyoncé / Foxxy’s bits. Foxxy Cleopatra slayed.

Beyoncé performed Work It Out all over, giving all the energy she could. The Beyoncé Knowles: Friends and Family performance actually includes some interesting hula-hoop choreo that current Beyoncé wouldn’t be caught dead doing. The rest of the performances of Work It Out are pretty similar. The last time the song got an outing was in 2009 at the special I Am... Yours performance in Las Vegas, where she brought back some of the original choreography.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  16. Actually I'll eliminate #81 in a short while, so we get to our Top 80. It's a big single.

17. A big single?? Hmmm…

My guess is If I Were A Boy.

18. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A CROWD GOIN'...

[​IMG]

jk

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.7
    TOTAL POINTS: 231

2016:
    57/113 (-25) | 7.158 (+0.542)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @godspeed )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @lalaclairi_ )
    MY SCORE: 6/10

If I Were A Boy was the first single released from Beyoncé’s mega successful third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. Released on my 16th b’day in 2008, If I Were A Boy is the only lead single from Beyoncé where she doesn’t have a writing credit. The song was written by BC Jean and Toby Gad. Jean, who wrote a majority of the lyrics, was actually inspired by not being able to eat pizza because she was on a diet, and if she were a boy, she would have eaten it without regret. Once the record was finished with Gad, Jean presented it to her record label, hoping for it to be included on her debut album. The label rejected it and so Gad started shopping the song around to established artists. You can listen to BC Jean version’s on YouTube, however I only got through to the first chorus because those vocals were not for me.

Beyoncé heard and liked the song, going on to call it “one of the most incredible songs I’ve heard all year” and so she ended up recording it. BC Jean was not happy about it initially as she never intended for the song to be sung by another artist. To avoid another lawsuit, Beyoncé agreed to record a song for Jean’s debut album. Fortunately for us (sorry BC dddd), the debut album never happened and that means we don't have an extra song to rate! Anyway, I’m sure Jean didn’t really care once she saw all the money coming in. For me, although I can understand why If I Were A Boy ended up being loved by the GP, there’s nothing particularly exciting about it when I listen in 2022. Great vocals, beautiful vocals!

The song was absolutely massive worldwide, selling over 8 million copies and peaking Top 5 in a majority of major music markets. It became Beyoncé’s fourth number one in the UK and was the 16th highest selling single of 2008 and is Beyoncé’s third biggest song in the country after Halo and Crazy In Love. It’s pointless, but I still question GP’s taste level. As of April 2022, If I Were A Boy has amassed nearly 450m streams on Spotify.

One of the most memorable moments for the If I Were A Boy era was the music video, which I remember being literally everywhere at the end of 2008. Directed by Jake Nava, the video was shot in black and white and plays on the whole role reversal concept. Beyoncé starts out as the man in the relationship, working as a police officer. We see her go through her daily routine which includes arresting people along with flirting with her co-workers and being a “lad”. She and her husband go to a party and Beyoncé ends up dancing seductively with her co-worker in front of her husband which sparks an argument when the couple get home. This is where the roles reverse back and Beyoncé begins to cry as it turns out her husband is the one who’s being disrespectful. The video has over 500 million views on YouTube, making it Beyoncé’s fourth biggest music video on the platform.

As a lead single and it being 2008 when artists had to fucking hustle and get on every television show to promote, If I Were A Boy was literally performed everywhere. The first performance was at the 2008 MTV Europe Music Awards and then after that, you name a show and Beyoncé was probably on it. A few performances do stand-out though. In November 2008, Beyoncé did a mini concert for The Today Show where she performed the song in black catsuit. The following January, an edit of the performance with awful vocals went viral claiming to be the “mic feed”. Turns out a student had used some software to edit Beyoncé’s voice and it’s actually hilarious how people ate it up as if it was real. The edit was played on radio and sparked debates over its legitimacy. Crazy! Does anybody else remember this? TMZ ended up reporting it to be a hoax, and Beyoncé was quoted as saying it was ‘perfect promotion’ for her upcoming television performances.

Another notable performance of If I Were A Boy was at the 52nd Grammy Awards. This is one I see spoken about a lot as one of Beyoncé’s best ever. Here she stomps, belts, grabs her crotch, runs around the stage, whips her hair back and forth. She mixed the song with the Alanis Morrisette classic, You Oughta Know and she shut the whole building down. The other notable performance of the song that I remember is when the late, great, amazing George Michael joined her on stage for a performance of the song at the I Am… World Tour show in London. Iconic! The song hasn’t been performed since 2014 after it was included on the first On The Run tour.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  19. Beyoncé has bettered her efforts countless times over in delivering songs with similar messaging to ‘If I Were A Boy’ since its release, but my opinions on it have softened a little in recent years. Lyrically, it is pretty trite, but there is rather warm, ambient production going on throughout, and she absolutely nails the vocal. I think the second chorus might be one of the finest she delivers throughout her entire catalogue. But it feels right for it to leave around this point.

I imagine the X-Factor effect, combined with it being a pretty wintry ballad definitely pushed it to its rather astronomical commercial heights in the UK.

nikkysan, Ramalama, Maki and 8 others like this.
  20. Both Diane Warren and Maze saying working with Beyoncé was one of the best moments of their lives... the power that she has.

Also, the Crazy In Love remix, Feeling Myself, Mi Gente and Work It Out all deserved better.

Maki, Aester, allyshone and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.