BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. RIDIN' ROUND IN THAT H-TOWN...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.798
    TOTAL POINTS: 233.95

2016:
    43/113 (-34) | 7.775 (+0.023)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 ( @lalaclairi_, @Phonetics Girl, @Aester, @odyism, @Maria, @sesita, @godspeed, @klow )
    LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

The fifth track to come from Beyoncé's critically acclaimed Self-Titled album, No Angel, was co-written with James Fauntleroy and PJ fave, Caroline Polachek! I can't believe I didn't even know that up until this rate! At the time, Polachek was in a band called Chairlift with Aaron Pfenning and Patrick Wimberly, and after seeing them tour with Solange, Beyoncé expressed interest in working with them for her upcoming album. After flying Polachek and Wimberly out to a studio in Manhattan, Queen Caroline put forward an incomplete song she had written while on tour in the UK. That song would go on to become No Angel, with Polachek and Beyoncé both handling production. Speaking of the differences between the songs Polachek said, "Her groove was different—my vocals were jumpier, and hers were more like panting. And in my version the synths detuned really quickly for a second; she did the same thing but with her voice. It sounds like the whole song melts."

I remember during the last rate, there was a lot of discussion over Beyoncé's vocals on this one during the verses. I think you either love it or hate it. For me... I love it. Also, I enjoy hearing Beyoncé on this chilled, mid-tempo kind of trap song and the bridge... oh my god... too much gorgeousness. No Angel is definitely one of the most interesting tracks on Self-Titled and I will always be attracted to something like this over a Pretty Hurts. The song sees Beyoncé stripping down her "good girl" media persona and admitting she's not perfect, just like her husband and that's what makes them work.

The music video is a pretty simple affair. Directed by @LILINTERNET, Beyoncé wanted to use the video as an homage to her hometown of Houston, showing all of its beauty in the people and the locations. The video features many cameos of rappers who are in the Houston hip-hop scene as Beyoncé appears throughout dressed in all white.

No Angel was included as part of the Self-Titled medley at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards. The track was then used partly in the introduction to the Formation World Tour.
    Also, Polachek performed the song at a few gigs at the beginning of 2020.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  2. Caroline did not put her entire Polachekussy into the writing of this song for y'all to do her dirty like this!

nikkysan, eatyourself, sesita and 7 others like this.
  3. OH FUCK OFF

No Angel is GOLD. And Standing On The Sun outlasting all these songs is dark-sided and evil.

4. Why are we still eliminating great songs from "I Am... Sasha Fierce" and "Diva" is still around?

Also:

5. IT'S A DC REUNION... but which????

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.808
    TOTAL POINTS: 234.25

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @boombazookajoe, @Ana Raquel, @odyism, @soratami, @sesita, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 ( @Dijah., @TheOnlyOne, @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

Look, no way is this song better than some of the songs which have already left... but it's Michelle Williams's song and we have to put some respect on her name. Say Yes was recorded for Michelle's fourth studio album in 2014, Journey To Freedom. The song was co-written with Carmen Reece, Al Sherrod Lambert and Harmony Samuels, with the latter taking control of production. This was Michelle's first album on new gospel record label, Light Records. Initially, Michelle wanted her Destiny's Child band members to be featured on a different track on the album, but after hearing Say Yes, they believed it was something they could all "rock" with.

And so we had a mini Destiny's Child reunion once again!

A music video for Say Yes was released in June 2014, featuring all 3 members. They've appeared together previously in Beyoncé's Superpower, but not on a song where they all featured since Destiny's Child's disbandment. The video has over 66m views on YouTube.

The song, while gospel, is an uptempo pop song over a dancehall inspired beat and it slaps. Beyoncé and Kelly joined Michelle for a live performance of Say Yes at the 2015 Stellar Awards which was so great to see, especially as Michelle was the "Beyoncé" that night. The track reached #1 on the US Hot Gospel Songs chart and has over 23m streams on Spotify.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.818
    TOTAL POINTS: 234.55

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @boombazookajoe, @Phonetics Girl, @klow )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Daniel_O )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

After Beyoncé had claimed she didn't give a fuck about putting Lemonade on Spotify in NICE, a year or so later, she did just that, but she added Sorry (Original Demo) onto the end as a treat for the fans. I'll save what I think of the final Sorry for its elimination, or possible win, however I thought it would definitely be cool to include the demo version in the rate, seen as it was officially released and also is a totally different vibe to official version.

It's a much more softer, vulnerable take, with Beyoncé breathily singing "we really could be, living young, wild and free" which contrasts the, "tell that boy bye!" vibe of the official version. The only changes on the demo version's credits is the addition of Daniel Jones on production and the removal of Sean Rhoden. Ultimately, for a demo version, its done pretty incredible to get as far as it has. Definitely a worthwhile addition to the Beyoncé catalogue. Also, if you're a fan of slowed + reverb songs, there's a pretty nice one for this.

6. I am legitimately shocked at "No Angel" being out already. I think it's top ten of her whole discography for me.

nikkysan, eatyourself, sesita and 6 others like this.
  7. Oh wow, "Say Yes" leaving before "You Changed" caught me off guard. Probably because in the Destiny's Child rate we had those same two songs ranked like this:

31. You Changed - 7.064
    10. Say Yes - 8.94

I guess "You Changed" benefited from being an optional song here. "Say Yes" remains a really catchy bop and should've surpassed it here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  8. LONG LIVE THE KING...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.85
    TOTAL POINTS: 235.5

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 ( @Dijah. )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 3 ( @Sprockrooster, @Phonetics Girl, @Crisp X )
    MY SCORE: 8.5/10

Am I going to have to start a #Justice4TheGift movement next? This one actually received pretty consistent scores across the board though.

ALREADY is a song from Beyoncé's The Lion King companion album, The Gift and it features Shatta Wale and Major Lazer. The song was also co-written with Starrah, Nii Armah Mensah, Picard Brothers Ronald Banful and Diplo, with Diplo, Picard Brothers and Beyoncé handling production. ALREADY is definitely about the story of The Lion King and the main protagonist, Simba, needing to look back at his legacy to move on and step towards the throne again. The song is the most popular one on the record according to Spotify, with over 108m streams.

ALREADY is a whole bop and a half. Remember when The Gift was dismissed as having no bops? I cannot! The video was released on YouTube to promote the Black Is King release in 2020 and was well received. As with all of Black Is King, there's some incredible looks in the video as well as choreography, all meant to represent different cultures and tribes within Africa. Honestly, some of the looks and setups Beyoncé uses for like 10 seconds and I'm like... she gives us so much!

As with all of The Gift songs, ALREADY has never been performed live, but would certainly make an impact if she did so. Let's see what songs she'll add from The Gift on the next tour!

I forgot to add this in MOOD 4 EVA's elimination, but you can watch part of the making of the song in the Making The Gift documentary below (24m).

9. Say Yes is epic and Jesus will not be happy about all of you.

Like serious. I know the message is a bit on the religious side but the songs bops.

10. A bit?! Ddd.

Say Yes should have been top 15 and I’m not being facetious.

11. WAVE YOUR HANDS FROM SIDE TO SIDE...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.85
    TOTAL POINTS: 235.5

2016:
    51/113 (-22) | 7.332 (+0.518)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Sprockrooster, @boombazookajoe, @klow )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.5 x 1 ( @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 7/10

This was a tie with ALREADY, but this got more 10s.

Written by Beyoncé, Noel Fisher, Bobby Johnson and Sidney Swift, 7/11 was released as a part of the reissue of Self-Titled and More Only EP. The song features Beyoncé rap-singing over a trap beat and was labelled as "club-ready" on release. To me, 7/11 seemed like a fun moment for Bey that exists in its own realm, rather than being a part of Self-Titled's world. Beyoncé isn't afraid of a controversial, "non-typical" release and 7/11 felt very different for Beyoncé at the time. Some critics were up in arms about the track, especially coming after Self-Titled... but they needed to let Bey have her fun! We saw some similar criticisms when Break My Soul came out. Beyoncé doesn't have to be serious all the time!

The homemade-style video was a huge hit on YouTube. It features Beyoncé dancing around her hotel room with her fellow dancers... I say "room" but it's definitely more presidential suite. There's also shots of Beyoncé, I presume in her own house, dancing around a Christmas tree and wearing 2015 glasses. Blue Ivy also makes a blink and you'll miss it appearance. The video currently has 577m views on the platform, making it Beyoncé's fourth most popular after Halo, Crazy In Love and Drunk In Love.

Despite not being a huge hit worldwide, I felt like the song did stick around for quite a bit. It ended up going Platinum in both the US and the UK. Beyoncé first performed the song at the 2015 Made In America Festival and then the Global Citizen Festival in the same year with its own cute intro interlude. The song undoubtedly POPS OFF live! 7/11 was performed on the first date of the Formation World Tour before being dropped from the setlist. It then appeared on the Coachella setlist in 2018.

12. Either I gave out a thousand tens or I'm going to be really disappointed with the top 20.

GimmeWork, RUNAWAY, Maki and 3 others like this.
  13. not you guys eliminating the second best religious song in history only after armadilha de satanás by irmã sofia

[​IMG]

eatyourself, sesita, Crisp X and 5 others like this.
  14. Say Yes is camp. Say Yes is life. Say Yes is a certified Jesus praising bop.

15. When I am in a life threatening situation and tried everything and last resort will turn to religion - like I see happening in series and films - I will not have the words for a prayer, but I will have the lyrics for Say Yes ready to go.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
  16. MAYBE WE REACHED THE MOUNTAIN PEAK...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.9
    TOTAL POINTS: 237

2016:
    52/113 (-20) | 7.332 (+0.588)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 1 ( @Maki ) | 10 x 1 ( @Phonetics Girl )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 ( @Ana Raquel )
    MY SCORE: 7/10

Another 11 gone! 0.1 away from an 8 average!

Start Over was included on Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4 and was co-written with Shea Taylor and Ester Dean. The song is a mid-tempo pop ballad and follows Beyoncé, wishing to start over a relationship instead of leaving it. This idea of fighting for a relationship over ending one is something we know she would later flesh out to its fullest in Lemonade when she addresses Jay’s infidelity. The song’s instrumentation features piano, drums and synthesisers but ultimately gives me kind of a little tropical vibe.

Start Over and Rather Die Young are the two songs on 4 that are, unfortunately, mostly forgotten by casual listeners and funnily enough they appear next to each other in the tracklist. Unlike her previous albums though, I believe the slightly more "filler" tracks still deserve to be recognised, respected and revered. It has slightly more dated production, which makes it stand out against the other songs surrounding it, but I don't think it's dated in a bad way.

The song currently has just under 30 million streams on Spotify which is second to last after Rather Die Young. But streams don’t equal quality as I wouldn’t say Start Over or Rather Die Young are anywhere near the worst on 4. However, Beyoncé has not performed this song EVER, which might have also contributed to its low streaming numbers. It will forever be a mystery as to why the song wasn’t included on the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé set list, a residency dedicated to the album. Every other song got an outing except Start Over, poor thing.​

@Maki, I'm sure will have a lot to say about their 11 so I'm excited to read what they say.

17. I cannot breath with the speed that we are chucking out great songs here...

Also me losing Radio and Listen back to back...

[​IMG]

18. [​IMG]

Ah, "Start Over", always underrated - even by Beyoncé herself.
    Of course I'm disappointed and was at least hoping some of the weaker songs would leave before it, but considering what an absolute mess the eliminations have been so far, I should probably be satisfied with this placement.

@allyshone, I would really appreciate if you could list the other perfect scorers for this song (unless I'm the only one who gave it a 10/11 ddd)

19. Updated the post for you! It would have been nice for Start Over to reach an 8 average to soften the blow for sure.

20. SLOWING DOWN THE DANCE TO A DIFFERENT KIND OF SPEED...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 7.925
    TOTAL POINTS: 237.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 ( @Maria, @godspeed, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 9/10

And the first song in the tracklist from Beyoncé and Jay-Z's 2018 joint album, Everything In Love, departs the rate. SUMMER was written with Cool & Dre and James Fauntleroy, as well as Horner Steinweisss, Thomas Brenneck, Leon Michels and Michael Herard. The extra names come from soul group El Michels Affair, which is led by Leon Michels. Don Toliver's Had Enough uses the same "sample" as SUMMER, but I don't think the sample comes from any official El Michels Affair song, not that I can find anyway.

EDIT: I've found an interview with Michels which details how he ended up on SUMMER, he says, "I was like, “Well, one thing that I want to do is make samples for producers.” So, I learned how to use Ableton [Live] and I would make these songs, but like loops. I sent that out to a bunch of producers. One of the producers was Cool & Dre [Marcello Antonio Valenzano and Andre Christopher Lyon], and they picked that song. It was a sample called “Zudan.” They used that sample and created the song for Beyoncé and Jay-Z."

What's so great about Everything Is Love is they could have opened with the single, APESHIT, which pops off at 1000%... however, instead we get SUMMER, a slow-tempo, sexy, perfect for sunbathing on the beach moment. We know one of Beyoncé's favourite places is the beach, so SUMMER is a love song using the beach and the ocean as a metaphor, which has been a common thread throughout both of their songs about each other. Jay-Z calls back to his Beach Is Better interlude at the beginning of his verse.

The couple performed the song a total of two times at the On The Run II Tour before it was dropped again, for whatever reason. It's the second most popular song on Everything Is Love, with over 56m streams on Spotify.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.