BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. damn that was so good, i wanna buy him a short set...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.415
    TOTAL POINTS: 252.45

2016:
    61/113 (+16) | 7.12 (+1.295)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 7 ( @Ana Raquel, @Daniel_O, @soratami, @Purple, @godspeed, @klow, @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4.5 x 1 ( @Robert )
    MY SCORE: 7.5/10

As a Real Housewives of Atlanta fan, along with Beyoncé herself, listening to Suga Mama immediately takes me back to a season 4 argument where consistent friend-of turned official housewife for Season 14, Marlo Hampton accuses songwriter extraordinaire Kandi Burruss of being a "suga mama". Kandi had written Bills Bills Bills for Destiny’s Child in 1999. That song was about being with a broke man who can’t afford to pay their bills, he uses their phones and maxes out their credit cards. A few years later, it seems like Beyoncé and Kandi have reached the same conclusion - they don’t mind being the suga mamas.

“If I wanted to take care of every mother fucker in here, I COULD! I COULD!” - Kandi Burruss, Multi-millionaire, Housewife of Atlanta, Songwriter Supreme and noted Suga Mama.

Anyway, back to the song. Suga Mama was written about a woman who is willing to give her man expensive gifts and pay large sums of money to keep her man happy in their relationship, mainly because that suga is just so good. Co-written with Rich Harrison and Makeba Riddick, the song is heavily influenced by 1970s funk and samples Searching for Soul by Jake Wade and The Soul Searchers, an American funk band. It felt modern for the time, mainly in its lyrical content where Beyoncé objectifies her man as she wants him to "take it off while I watch you perform". Like with many songs on B’Day, it’s a fun song, but suffers from being surrounded by absolute mega-bops. Nonetheless, it seemed like critics who didn’t like the album at the time all found Suga Mama to be an obvious highlight.

Beyoncé shot a video for Suga Mama for the B’Day Anthology Video Album during that two week period where apparently Beyoncé couldn’t stop shooting music videos. Can we get that for Renaissance please? Directed by frequent collaborator Melina Matsoukas, the video is all black and white and features some great, albeit budget setups. I’ve said it before, and I'll say it again, Beyoncé has so much performance talent that you could watch her in any setup, budget or not, and you’d still be entertained.

Unfortunately for Suga Mama, it has only been performed on The Beyoncé Experience Tour, where Beyoncé re-created a lot of elements from the video. Also, it was used as lip-sync song in Rupaul's Drag Race Season 14, where Jasmine Kennedie ate up the first heterosexual, cisgender male drag race contestant Maddy Morphosis.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  2. Suga Mama is definitely an album highlight for me! Should have been a lot higher.

Aester and Maria like this.
  3. You surely aren't.

The On The Run Tour medley version of "Diva" will always remain its definitive form for me. They updated and mixed a lot of their songs in very clever ways for this tour (notably "Ring The Alarm" with a sample of The Doors' "Five to One") but "Clique" building and exploding into "Diva" was a proper moment in a show full of them! I'm afraid my life peaked on September 12, 2014.

On a side note, I am disgusted and utterly shocked at "Me, Myself & I" leaving before the top 20.

4. i should have given this one a 10 honestly... what was I thinking?!?

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.458
    TOTAL POINTS: 253.75

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 6 ( @Phonetics Girl, @odyism, @Dijah., @sesita, @Music Is Death, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 1 ( @theincredibleflipper, @TheOnlyOne )
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

Honestly, the vocal alone here makes it a 10, I don't know why I was being stingy and settled for a 9.5 but here we are. BIGGER, taken from The Gift, is the first track on the album and fuck me, what an opener! The song was co-written with Stacy Barthe, RAYE, Richard Lawson and Derek Dixie. Once Beyoncé heard BIGGER, she immediately fell in love with it according to RAYE and told her it was going to be the first song on the album, to which RAYE naturally freaked out about. It's intimate, it's vulnerable, it's stirring and it leads to an epic vocal towards the end which sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.

Being the first song on the album, BIGGER kicks off Black Is King as well. We see Beyoncé on a beach (she loves them beaches ddd) as she helps the Prince grow up before he starts his journey throughout the film. The big note moment hits as well, as Beyoncé opens her arms wide as the waves crash behind her. We also get a chance to see Beyoncé recording the song in the studio, along with RAYE and Stacy Barthe talking about it in the Making The Gift documentary.

Hopefully Beyoncé will perform the song at some point. We need to hear that big note live!! Imagine! The song has around 25m streams on Spotify, to which it deserves way more.

This leaves FIND YOUR WAY BACK as the only song from The Gift left, you haters!!​

5. What the heck?! "BIGGER" deserved a top 20 placement at the very least.

I really don't get the overwhelming love for "FIND YOUR WAY BACK" - it's a cute little bop but "BIGGER" is a proper masterpiece.

Dijah. and Phonetics Girl like this.
  6. Ooh, I should have given this a 10 as well.

Phonetics Girl and Maki like this.
  7. I actually like it for all its basicness and its beautiful emotive bridge, but how is "Jealous" still in here when masterpieces like "BIGGER," "Me, Myself & I," "Suga Mama" and "Mine" are leaving?

eatyourself, sesita and Maki like this.
  8. "Check on It" really has no business being here. Something something single effect.
    "Jealous" and "Party" can also leave anytime.

9. I don’t think I knew about that Gift documentary. So nice to find new Beyoncé content to watch!

Bigger is an amazing song. I also gave it a 9.5 but probably should have thrown it a 10. It really sets the tone of the album and I love how it builds and builds and then erupts.

Maria and Maki like this.
  10. Feels like it's been a while since an 11 has left us...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.458
    TOTAL POINTS: 253.75

2016:
    41/113 (-2) | 7.842 (+0.616)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 1 ( @odyism ) | 10 x 6 ( @boombazookajoe, @Phonetics Girl, @Maria, @klow, @Lost In Japan., @Music Is Death )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    MY SCORE: 8/10

Again, we had a tie here with BIGGER, but thanks to @odyism's shiny 11, I Care pulled ahead.

I Care is the second track on Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. The song was co-written with Jeff Bhasker and Chad Hugo and in its original form, was intended for Bhasker’s first studio album. Thank god Beyoncé got her hands on it. Powered by an insane vocal performance, I Care has been described as a classic power ballad with both rock and soul elements within it. Beyoncé’s version of the song tells the story of a woman who’s love isn’t reciprocated by her lover, which is obviously a common theme throughout Beyoncé’s work. Like with many of the tracks on 4, I Care balances the fine line of being influenced by the past, feeling timeless and sounding totally fresh and different from what was charting at the time.

Definitely not one of my favourites from the album on my initial listen, however over the years it has become an essential Beyoncé track for sure. It starts with some hazy and airy synths before the drums and the contrastingly strong and punchy vocals come in and take you on the journey. There are just so many layers here, which makes I Care such a rich listen, especially with headphones. The vocals are definitely the biggest triumph, from the runs to all the layered background vocals, the nice OWWWWHH’s added after each chorus and then how she vocally squares up with the guitar riff. It’s a masterclass in vocal performance. A stellar addition to Beyoncé’s discography and another marker that 4 is actually one of the strongest pop records of that decade. I Care has over 47m streams on Spotify and over 200,000 sales worldwide which is actually not bad for an album track. I think because I've seen Beyoncé sell it so many times live, it feels like a single to me.

A lot of my favourite videos of Beyoncé are when we get a glimpse of her in the studio and thankfully she gave us a snippet of her recording I Care during Life Is But A Dream.

INCREDIBLE!!!!!

I Care has received many live performances over the years. It was first performed at the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé shows at Roseland Ballroom in New York City, which remains one of my favourite Beyoncé gigs to this day. The song then appeared on the setlists for the ITV special A Night with Beyoncé, multiple festival performances, the Revel Presents: Beyoncé Live concerts in Atlantic City and the first leg of The Mrs Carter World Tour in 2013. Beyoncé added the song to the Coachella setlist with an even more operatic, kind of eerie in the best way introduction and then it appeared on the On The Run II Tour.

11. I just double checked in case I fucked up again... it was definitely a 3.

[​IMG]

12. @Sprockrooster Who hurt you?

I Care is one of my favourite ever songs and was nearly my 11. I really thought it would go higher.

13. I couldn't admit it at the time but I’ve low key always thought that clip of her singing I Care in the studio was terrible dddd

14. And we've reached our Top 40...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.516
    TOTAL POINTS: 255.5

2016:
    50/113 (+8) | 7.454 (+1.062)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 ( @allyshone, @lalaclairi_, @boombazookajoe, @odyism, @eatyourself, @Purple, @sesita, @Lost In Japan., )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 2 ( @theincredibleflipper, @Ana Raquel )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Party was released as the third US only single from Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. It was co-written with Kanye West, Jeff Bhasker and André 3000 and is a straight up BOP. The song comes as a much needed lift after Best Thing I Never Had in the track list. Sampling the 1985 song, La Di Da Di, Party’s meaning is pretty self-explanatory from its title. It’s a song about living for the party, which after the pandemic, I have been doing a lot I tell you! The song was one of the first to be recorded for 4, with Beyoncé bringing in Kanye West to help produce it. The album version includes a rap verse from the super talented André 3000 from OutKast, however the single version featured a verse from J.Cole, who is a hugely talented rapper himself... but I've always hated his verse.

In the past, I believe Party was viewed as one of the more mediocre tracks from 4, which is something I’ve never agreed with, ever since my first listen. Songs about partying or the clewb can often be basic as fuck, but Beyoncé doesn’t do this (hello Renasissance!!) and with the lush, funky production, Party has solidified itself as a dancefloor filler... in my living room anyway. Unfortunately, in the majority of the UK, it’s not often you get a bop like this in the clubs, and I’ve never heard Party in a gay club over here. Nevertheless, when I was in London, Party came on in some swanky bar I was in, and it went off!! It was a moment - hands in the air, drinks in the air etc. A very "up in the club, sippin' that bud" moment, if you will.

A video was shot for the song, directed by Beyoncé and Alan Ferguson. It’s a simple, low budget visual as we follow Beyoncé around a few different background party set ups. Beyoncé commented that she liked having no choreography to do, "all I have to do is party and have a good time". Also, we get some cute cameos from Kelly Rowland and Solange, where the latter is the party DJ.

Currently, the song has around 80 million streams on Spotify, despite not being a massive hit anywhere. The song did reach #2 on the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart, and #50 on the overall Billboard Hot 100, with over 475,000 copies sold. Also, Party peaked at No.2 on the South Korea Gaon International Chart and it went on to sell over 350,000 copies, because clearly South Korea officially stans quality!!

Party was first performed at the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyonce concerts at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City. The DVD version of this performance shows clips of Beyoncé’s birthday party which looks like a hoot and a half and yes, the UK’s resident party queen Rita Ora makes a brief appearance. I always forget she was in with The Carters at one point.

The song was added to the ITV Special, A Night with Beyoncé and the Revel presents: Beyoncé Live shows in Atlantic City. It was included on the first leg of The Mrs Carter World Tour and got a slot on The Formation World Tour in the "party" section, coming after Crazy In Love, Bootylicious and Naughty Girl. The whole segment was lit af. Finally, Party was featured in her Coachella set, sung by the choir as part of the Marching Band interlude.

nikkysan, Ensnare, Dijah. and 19 others like this.
  15. Some of y'all don't drip the swagu and it shows.

dylanaber, nikkysan, Dijah. and 9 others like this.
  16. "Party" is not better than "I Care", which ended up so underrated - not even reaching top 40 is definitely unexpected.

Phonetics Girl and Maria like this.
  17. Well buckle up. As you saw in my PJ July month chart 4 scored the lowest point of any Beyoncé-album. I am expected more lowest scores from me for songs from the album 4 in this countdown.

---

Glad to see a culling of 4 right before the top 40. It is what you all deserve after whatever happened to The Gift. I am still not over Otherside and My Power leaving quite frankly.

18. Thanks to this rate I discovered Me, Myself and I was a single I guess it really wasn't big internationally and has a video that I had never seen. Thank you!

Maria and Maki like this.
  19. Can't really be mad at any songs leaving at this point in the rate but damn, Bigger and I Care were my instant faves from their respective albums!

Ashling92, Maki and Maria like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.