BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 38 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Sorry guys, but I just don’t like certain songs. I’m entitled to my (wrong?) opinion!

2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

INSANE!!

sesita, Aester, Dijah. and 2 others like this.
  3. so many wrong cuts on the last page!!!!

Dijah. likes this.
  4. BLOW??? This is getting ridiculous.

5. "Blow" isn't one of my faves (I gave it a 7, which in retrospect is a little bit low) but it's rather fun and I surely expected it to do better. When it comes to self-titled, "Jealous" should've been out ages ago.

At this point, I'm pretty much certain I'll be the lowest scorer for some songs such as "APESHIT" and "Savage" remix (unless there are more 0s, 1s and 2s lingering around).

6. Every time someone calls for Jealous to be eliminated:
    [​IMG]

7. yeah yeah yeah yeah

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.62
    TOTAL POINTS: 258.6

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 8 ( @allyshone, @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @boombazookajoe, @Ana Raquel, @Phonetics Girl, @soratami, @sesita )
    LOWEST SCORE: 3.75 x 1 ( @Maki )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

And it's time to say goodbye to not only the lead single from Beyoncé and Jay-Z's collaborative album, Everything Is Love, but also the album itself. I guess it will still go on being an underrated project in Beyoncé's back catalogue and I'm cool with that. It's still essential to me.

APESHIT famously premiered after the final London date of the On The Run II Tour along with the now iconic video and the album announcement. The song was co-written with Pharrell alongside Quavo and Offset from the hip-hop group, Migos. Along with all of Beyoncé's surprise drops, the internet was once again up in flames about new music, Beyoncé rapping harder than Jay-Z and of course the music video which we'll get to in the next paragraph. The song really does go hard and while Jay-Z's verse is really good, it's Beyoncé's presence and domination of the verses which really get me hyped every time I listen to it. Lyrically, it's another chance for Beyoncé and Jay-Z to flex about their life, which was a welcome departure after the seriousness of Lemonade. Also, Beyoncé's final verse... KILLER.

The music video, directed by Ricky Saiz and shot in the Louvre, is a masterpiece. The visual really adds more dimension to the lyrics and why the couple feel like it's important to flex about their luxurious life as the focus on the artwork in the museum turns to the depiction of black people throughout art history and how far they've come despite all the oppression. Beyoncé and Jay-Z standing in front of the Mona Lisa was a powerful statement and it more importantly, got the world talking.

APESHIT sold well, with over 1m copies in the US, despite not being a huge hit for them. It has over 250m streams on Spotify, making it, by far, the most popular song from the joint album. It was added as the final song on the On The Run II Tour, and it was so endearing to see Beyoncé mess up her final verse so many times live, and also seeing her look happy and relieved when she got it right. It's a huge banger and I'm going to be sad if I never get the chance to see it live again.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022

8. [​IMG]

Album Average: 7.268

[​IMG]

Songs:

38. APESHIT (8.62)
    71. SUMMER (7.925)
    93. BOSS (7.495)
    95. HEARD ABOUT US (7.391)
    99. BLACK EFFECT (7.258)
    115. FRIENDS (7.048)
    117. LOVEHAPPY (7.025)
    130. 713 (6.741)
    134. SALUD! (6.668)
    140. NICE (6.513)

[​IMG]

Top Scorers:

9.4 - @Music Is Death
    9 - @Phonetics Girl, @Dijah.
    8.875 - @odyism

[​IMG]

Bottom Scorers:

3.95 - @Daniel_O
    4.4 - @Purple
    5.46 - @Epic Chocolat

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  9. I gave APESHIT a 10 too!

10. Finally.
    "APESHIT" has a great music video, but all I hear in the song is the trend-chasing, dated on arrival rap with plenty of very annoying aspects such as unnecessary yelling, autotune, trap beat, mumble rapping etc. Mostly trash. My score was generous in retrospect, as it's truly one of the worst things Bey did in my opinion. Wildly overrated, I'm quite perplexed by how it's so well liked. I actually think the entire "EVERYTHING IS LOVE" album is so below her, save for a few songs.

In order not to be overly negative, I can say that "SUMMER" and "FRIENDS" deserved a bit better.

11. APESHIT’s fantastic and if you don’t hear that I am sorry for you.

It has some serious B’Day energy going on.

12. Everything is Love is definitely better than a 7.2 album within the wider world of music, but ranking on a scale of Beyoncé - particularly now with Renaissance with us, albeit it wasn’t part of the rate - feels a little more accurate. Would’ve been nice to see it clear 7.5.

The track I’m most surprised at, underperformance-wise, is ‘HEARD ABOUT US’. I figured it would do considerably better, hitting many bases, and being one of the vibey, pleasant listens on the album.

13. don't judge me

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 8.64
    TOTAL POINTS: 259.3

2016:
    14/113 (-23) | 8.82 (-0.176)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 11 ( @allyshone, @theincredibleflipper, @boombazookajoe, @Phonetics Girl, @BubblegumBoy, @Dijah., @Remorque, @TheOnlyOne, @klow, @Lost In Japan., @Ramalama )
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 1 ( @Purple )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Taken from Beyoncé's Self-Titled album, Jealous was co-written with Detail, Dre Moon, Rasool Diaz, Brian Soko, BOOTS and Lyrica Anderson. The song is one of the more downtempo pop moments on the album, however it still feels anthemic in its chorus. In an album filled with personal insights into the woman Beyoncé became, Jealous feels particularly intimate as we listen to her inner thoughts on trust in her relationship, how she copes with her feelings and of course... what she's like when she is jealous, which Beyoncé stated is a natural human emotion saying "We all get jealous. It doesn't matter who you are. At some point, it's just inevitable." What I appreciate about Jealous is, its well within the realm of Ghost/Haunted as it's on the darker side of the album. Not all is perfect in Beyoncé's world and that's fine. She's human. Also, I appreciate the reference to Freakum Dress.

Again... I'm a sucker for a referential moment.

The music video, which she co-directed with Francesco Carrozzini and Todd Tourso, is a continuation from the end of Partition as the mood quickly shifts from a loving, sexual relationship to a distant and broken one. She angrily sweeps a table full of dinnerware as she gets stood up at dinner and then proceeds to walk the streets feeling sad and lost, before her lover races to come find her and they hug it out. I guess the message truly is, it's normal to have these bumps in the road and unsavoury feelings along the way, as long as the love is still strong between both parties.

Beyoncé performed a good chunk of Jealous for her 2014 MTV Video Music Awards Self-Titled medley. That is the only time she has performed the track, which is probably why it only has around 46m streams on Spotify. Jealous will likely stay an underrated diamond in Beyoncé's discography and I'm cool with that.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  14. I’ve never seen a rate with so many songs going at the wrong times! This is absolutely tragic and I demand justice.

15. Yeah, I'm baffled by the self-titled album only having five songs left.

At least the average for Jealous is still about the same. I don't know how you couldn't love a song that starts "I'm in my penthouse half naked. I cooked this meal for you naked. So where the hell you at?" I only gave it a 9, a clear mistake.

16. This is actually my biggest surprise in this entire rate. I honestly didn't think anyone considered "Jealous" to be an highlight from BEYONCÉ. It's not a bad surprise though, I like the song and the moment when Beyoncé sings "I'm just jealous, I'm just human, don't judge me" is one of the most heartfelt ones on the album. But standing next to some truly magnificent songs from the same project, it has always felt more on the "cute" side of things to me.

17. It's taken me weeks to catch up with this thread but lemme just say Love Drought, Blow, Check On It and I Care leaving already is a goddamn MESS.

I'd probably put Love Drought in my Bey top 10, it's so ethereal and perfect.

18. Phonetics Girl, odyism and Dijah. like this.
  19. The best part of "Jealous" are its first 10 seconds. The rest is rather meh... it just kinda meanders around without doing anything effective and "Haunted" does the similar sound miles better.
    I gave the song a 6, which is one of my lowest scores on self-titled, I've always found it overrated.

20. 'Jealous' is for the hot girls who like a moment. A mood. An atmosphere. A vibe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.