BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 46 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. dddd i hope you all are ready for this top 10...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.375
    TOTAL POINTS: 280.35

2016:
    17/113 (+7) | 8.763 (+0.582)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 16 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @Ana Raquel, @Phonetics Girl, @BubblegumBoy, @odyism, @Maria, @eatyourself, @soratami, @Purple, @sesita, @TheOnlyOne, @godspeed, @klow, @Lost In Japan., @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 5 x 1 ( @TéléDex )
    MY SCORE: 9/10

Schoolin' Life is the only track in our Top 10 which wasn't included on the standard edition of it's parent album and the only track which doesn't have any kind of official video. Okay, technically End Of Time doesn't either, but the Live At Roseland version kind of substituted as one. Anyway, Schoolin' Life was included on the deluxe edition of Beyoncé's fourth studio album, 4. The song was co-written with The Dream, Shea Taylor and Carlos McKinney. It's an up-tempo disco inspired number, which has a timeless feel, which is so prominent on 4. Jordan Young, who mixed the track, said, "It’s basically a song about life and growing up. We recorded that toward the end of the project. As soon as I heard it I told B, ‘That’s the one… I love that song.’ I actually got the chance to mix that record. It was incredible that she allowed me to do that."

It's hard not to enjoy Schoolin' Life. It appeals to me in all it's joyousness and positivity and I can't not belt my heart out to it. Although I understand why Beyoncé placed Run The World (Girls) as the final track on the standard edition of the album, I always see Schoolin' Life as the perfect closer. The song has slowly earned a place as fan favourite on 4, despite being a bonus track. It currently has around 41m streams on Spotify and made its way into the rankings of some music critics top songs of the 2011, with some commenting on the masterful range Beyoncé beholds by having I Miss You and Schoolin' Life on the same album.

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, there was no official video for Schoolin' Life despite its popularity. Beyoncé first performed the song at the Revel shows in Atlantic City. The song was included on the setlist for the first leg of The Mrs Carter Show World Tour and then the instrumental was used as the outro on The Formation World Tour! See, a perfect closer(ish)!

GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 17 others like this.
  2. Countdown missing the top 10 countdown is... a bitsy iconique.

Robert, godspeed, Maki and 3 others like this.
  3. Notoriously high scorer @TéléDex giving Schoolin’ Life a 5?! You must really hate this song, bestie!

Robert, soratami and Maki like this.
  4. I have eight 10s left but this feels... weirdly anticlimactic? I guess I wanted Countdown to win. All Night and Haunted are my faves from their respective eras, so they're probs leaving next but I'm happy they reached Top 10 as they deserved.

5. this one actually spent a while at the top before eventually dropping to #9 as the latter scores came in...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.366
    TOTAL POINTS: 281

2016:
    12/113 (+3) | 8.927 (+0.439)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 2 ( @Sprockrooster, @lalaclairi_ ) | 10 x 14 ( @Ana Raquel, @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @odyism, @BubblegumBoy, @Remorque, @eatyourself, @soratami, @Purple, @Maria, @godspeed, @klow, @Music Is Death, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 1 ( @Epic Chocolat )
    MY SCORE: 9.5/10

Taken from Beyoncé's Self-Titled surprise drop which broke the music industry, ***Flawless is an upbeat pop trap song, with two sections (Bow Down / Flawless) and it includes a speech from Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, who gets a feature credit. The song was co-written and co-produced with The Dream, Hit-Boy, Rey Reel, HazeBanga and BOOTS and comes eleventh in the albums tracklisting. As we know, the Bow Down portion of the song actually surfaced with I Been On on SoundCloud in March 2013, which caused some controversy online due to it's hard "bow down bitches!" message. The Flawless section of the song almost clarifies what Beyoncé was trying to say for those who took Bow Down so literally.

Also, it's worth noting the clever introduction and outro, which is a audio sample from the presenter of Star Search; a talent show which Beyoncé appeared on as a child with her then girl group Girls Time. The group were defeated by a rock band(?) who received four stars, whilst Girls Time received only three, hence the title ***Flawless. The levels! I'm actually surprised I didn't give ***Flawless a 10, it's such a banger... as well as being smart, catchy and dynamic. Of course, everyone knows the famous "I woke up like this" line, which was one of the many standout lyrics from Self-Titled which made the rounds on social media and merchandise. Beyoncé even had her fanbase quoting the Adichie sample word for word.

[​IMG]

@Sprockrooster

This was easily an instant fave and solid 10 from the start. But this grew and grew in my appreciation. I love how she incorporated that fantastic speech into her song. The first time I saw this happening was with Anastacia's Amandla where she incorporated the speech from freedom fighter Andrew Bonsu in her song Amandla, written for the 46664 concerts that honoured Nelson Mandela. To make it a full circle moment: Beyoncé joined Anastacia at the 46664 concert and performed Amandla with her. A wholesome moment to be honest. Where Anastacia took a more predictable road with a ballad and a speech like this it is Beyoncé that does knock it out of the park completely. The brass and sass from the start is giving the song edge. She not only commands you while listening, she most of all owns you. Beyoncé is on a mission to convince anyone who doesn't agree on her with female rights. This track is actually that with a confidence that is dripping. Flawless track. Well indeed.

[​IMG]

The video, directed by Jake Nava, features clips from Star Search, as well as current Beyoncé dancing in what looks like an underground, grunge, warehouse kind of club environment. Shot in black and white, the video understands the assignment and encapsulates the vibe of the song, showing how being a feminist feels very punk. The look is right, the setting is right and the choreography for "I woke up like this" became a staple. Her creative director Todd Tourso said, "We had done half the video, and we watched it, and Beyoncé knew that it needed a dance moment that would be iconic, that people could pick up on. And then we went back and reshot that part. Because after seeing the video, and after the song coming together, she was like, 'This needs a cool dance that anybody can do'".

Beyoncé has performed ***Flawless countless times since its inception as it still gets her crowds hyped. The song was included on The Mrs Carter Show World Tour and the On The Run Tour. Most notably, it was featured in her Video Vanguard performance at the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards, featuring a shortened version of Adichie's speech. In later performances, Beyoncé has liked to break up the two sections of the song, with Bow Down coming before Run The World (Girls) on The Formation World Tour and before I Been On at Coachella and the original Flawless doesn't seem to get much of showing since the remix was released.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  6. 'Flawless' is brilliant, and a fantastic example of how Bey can so deftly weave her music so well into popular culture without being pandering or cynical, but I think it went fractionally too far here. More of a top 20/15 girl.

It is, however, one of her most thrilling songs live. Being in the room the very first time she ever performed it live (as well as many of the other tracks off Self-Titled - this kills the stan) was an unforgettably electric experience.

7. I gave Flawless a 10 as well.

I would like Drunk In Love and All Night to leave now because they are 9s but the top 10 is excellent so I'm not complaining. I still have my 11 which is surprising. I thought I would lose it between #15-20.

Maki, Sprockrooster and allyshone like this.
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.378
    TOTAL POINTS: 281.35

2016:
    7/113 (-1) | 9.253 (+0.125)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 2 ( @Daniel_O, @BubblegumBoy ) | 10 x 13 ( @allyshone, @Sprockrooster, @Ana Raquel, @Phonetics Girl, @Remorque, @eatyourself, @soratami, @sesita, @Ensnare, @klow, @TéléDex, @Lost In Japan., @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6.6 x 1 ( @Epic Chocolat )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

And just like that... only one track from Self-Titled remains. Featuring husband Jay-Z and co-written and produced with Detail, Dre Moon, Rasool Diaz, J-Roc, Timbaland, Brian Soko and BOOTS, Drunk In Love is probably the biggest success story (on paper) to come from Beyoncé's fifth studio album, Self-Titled. It's a gargantuan sized trap, hip-hop and R&B anthem, which is funny because Beyoncé said, "We just kinda had a party. It was so great, because it wasn't about any ego, we weren't trying to make a hit record [...] we were just having fun...and I think you can hear that in the record." She is right! Although both XO and Drunk In Love were sent to radio in quick succession, the latter truly feels like the lead single of the album.

On the track, Beyoncé explores her sexuality, which was a common theme on Self-Titled. Here though, the vibe is much more about having fun with it and talking shit, while feeling youthful and free, which differentiates Drunk In Love from the more mature energy of Partition and Rocket. Writing about Self-Titled so much recently, it is just insane the amount of quotable lyrics which stemmed from it and Drunk In Love was no different. Drinking watermelon and riding surfboards became synonymous with Beyoncé at the time just to name a couple of things, but the entire thing is a lyrical masterpiece. Well nearly a lyrically masterpiece. In Jay's verse, he makes a reference to Tina Turner's abusive relationship with Ike Turner, specifically a scene where Ike shoves Tina's face into a cake when she won't eat it. It's unfortunate and it has probably dampened the spirit of the song for a few here I'm sure.

Overall though, Drunk In Love is incredible and very worthy of a place in the Top 10. The chorus is an absolute juggernaut, the intro is hauntingly beautiful and the production is perfect. This was my number one Beyoncé song for a long time after its release. I can't really fault anything in it, except the obvious of course. Unsurprisingly, the song was a huge hit for Beyoncé, despite not hitting number one in either the US or the UK. It picked up multi-Platinums in all major markets and has over half a billion streams on Spotify. Drunk In Love also picked up two Grammys, for Best R&B Song and Best R&B Performance. A video of fans singing the song at a Drake concert went viral at the time, but it is a perfect example of how major the song was.

The video, directed by Hype Williams and shot in black and white, is a fairly simple beach video. And we all know by now how much Beyoncé loves a beach video! That being said, the video is iconic. The intro with the trophy in the sand, Beyoncé's dancing throughout, the cute outro... just perfection. The music video won an MTV Video Music Award and was nominated for Video of the Year, which went to Miley's Wrecking Ball.

How many times has Beyoncé performed Drunk In Love? Fucking loads! The couple first performed the song at 56th Annual Grammy Awards and we also got rehearsal footage of said performance, featuring Blue on the mic backstage saying "Hi mommy!" a few times. Literally everything Blue did at the time nearly brought me to tears. The song has since been included on every god damn tour she's done since, with Jay making occasional appearances during The Mrs Carter Show World Tour and The Formation World Tour and you know what... I'm not mad at all.

My favourite iteration of Drunk in Love though has to be the Coachella/Homecoming version. Something about the extra instrumentation and the Swag Surfin' which takes it from a 10/10 song to an 100/10.

GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 21 others like this.
  9. So looks like we'll have our Top 5 by tomorrow, and I'm predicting the finale for Friday! What a wild ride this has been, but we're actually nearly there!

Robert, godspeed, soratami and 12 others like this.
  10. ‘Drunk in Love’ is one of the most gargantuan songs I’ve ever heard. It is merciless. It drags you down to the waters of that Floridian beach, and pins you under until you relent. It would absolutely buckle and collapse under its own weight if it were helmed by anyone else other than Beyoncé, and it’s one of the most sparklingly devilish jewels in her crown.

That second verse… an indisputable career highlight. Phenomenal.

11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Schoolin' Life being hands-down her best bonus track/one of her best songs full-stop and getting no video and barely any live outings, meanwhile Why Don't You Love Me would have 17 minutes of every show for years allocated to it while only being a Japan/iTunes preorder-only bonus track at the time...

[​IMG]

12. Schoolin' Life has no right being a bonus track, it is serving camp, it is serving verve, it is serving ambition. I listen to that song and the sun shines on my face and the path before me lights up. My destiny is clear, my talent unstoppable. Into the unknown I shall go, I WILL NOT STOP RUNNING TILL I FINISH.

13. "Schoolin' Life" (7.25) is definitely a good 80s-influenced song but it doesn't sit right with me seeing it outlast some proper fan fave gems from "4" such as "I Miss You" and "I Care".

14. I don't know how I missed all this and I'm sad I didn't vote, but delighted 'All Night' is still here regardless.

15. 'Deja Vu' needs to leave now.

16. may the last one burn into flames...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.425
    TOTAL POINTS: 282.75

2016:
    13/113 (+6) | 8.873 (+0.552)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 1 ( @Maria ) | 10 x 17 ( @allyshone, @Sprockrooster, @Ana Raquel, @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @BubblegumBoy, @odyism, @Remorque, @eatyourself, @soratami, @TheOnlyOne, @klow, @Lost In Japan., @Music Is Death, @Maki, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 1 ( @Epic Chocolat )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

This intro. My god!

Freedom is a song taken from Beyoncé's sixth studio album, Lemonade, and features Kendrick Lamar. The song was co-written and produced with Jonny Coffer, Carla Marie Williams, Arrow Benjamin and Just Blaze, and it contains multiple samples, including Let Me Try by Kaleidoscope, Collection Speech/Unidentified Lining Hymn, performed by Reverend R.C. Crenshaw and Stewball, performed by Prisoner "22" at Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman. The instrumental was first heard when it was used to announce The Formation World Tour after Beyoncé's Super Bowl performance in 2016 and I can remember a lot of fans hoping it would be part of the album, and it sure was!

Freedom comes after the haunting Forward, taking us into the final act of the album. It's a message of empowerment to black women, where Beyoncé balances her own personal relationship struggles with the wider context of how black women are treated, specifically in the US, and how they are often sidelined in both relationships and political movements in favour of men. Beyoncé has many "female empowerment" anthems in her discography, but I don't think any are more direct and based in reality then Freedom is. It's explosive, vibrant and dynamic and, like @Ensnare said previously about Drunk In Love, "It would absolutely buckle and collapse under its own weight if it were helmed by anyone else other than Beyoncé"... I feel like you could absolutely say the same for Freedom. And of course, Kendrick's feature is absolute fire as well as he showcases his talent for wordplay and intelligence when it comes to the overall theme of the track.

The music video, shot mostly in black and white, from the Lemonade film, features all women, including the mothers of Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner and Michael Brown who make a reappearance, as well as Oscar Grant's mother. They take front row seats as they watch Beyoncé perform the song in a simple white gown, before gathering around a table to enjoy a meal together. Other notable cameos include Chloe and Halle, Zendaya, Amandla Stenberg, Winnie Harlow, Quvenzhané Wallis and Blue Ivy. The song comes to a close as we see the women gathered, or even sat on a huge tree. It's a striking visual and the embodiment of strength in which the song emulates.

Beyoncé performed the song during The Formation World Tour and it was a show stopper! As a shallow pool of water would appear on the end stage, Beyoncé and her dancers end up dancing in it and kicking the water everywhere. Ugh, where is The Formation World Tour DVD! She later recreated the same performance for the 2016 BET Awards and was joined by Kendrick Lamar. He also joined her on the final date of The Formation World Tour. Freedom also got an outing at a Hillary Clinton rally which Beyoncé performed at, and then at both her Coachella performance and on the On The Run II Tour.

The song became widely popular again during the 2020 George Floyd / Black Lives Matter protests, with the track becoming a staple for the movement.

17. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Deja Vu nearing the Top 5 and outlasting the likes of Countdown, Sorry, Partition, Drunk In Love... what is going on?! The song is great but really?!

19. "Freedom" has always been my favourite song from "Lemonade", it's such a stomper. Should've definitely been in the top 5 but at least I'm glad that it got the title of the longest lasting non-single (considering "All Night" and "End of Time" were singles of some sort).

Robert and Maria like this.
  20. That BET Awards performance is still thrilling to watch.

Robert likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.