BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 48 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. I will never forgive you for not doing so!!!

‘Deja Vu’ isn’t even the best track on its album, let alone a top five in her discography? So strange.

I dislike the fact that this top five doesn’t particularly feel representative of Beyoncé. Her darker, sexier, more experimental R&B/Hip Hop related material has been cast aside here - it’s very strange that Self-Titled is no longer present. (No reflection on you or the rate, @allyshone - you’ve done a great job!)

5. Deja Vu

>>>a few lightyears<<<

4. All Night
    3. End of Time
    2. Crazy in Love
    1. Formation

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  2. These vocals really are the epitome of:
    [​IMG]

Same goes for the backing vocals on "BIGGER".

soratami and Up N Down like this.
  3. No Deja Vu slander on this topic, thank you.

sesita, Ashling92, soratami and 3 others like this.
  4. I have tolerated the disrespect being thrown at Deja Vu but I am here to tell you that it is one of the greatest songs of all time.

sesita, Ashling92, soratami and 3 others like this.
  5. When I did my scores for this, I was toggling between an 8.5 and a 9 for Deja Vu. I ultimately gave it a 9 because I thought it would need the help. HA!

allyshone likes this.
  6. Mine, Heaven, and No Angel deserved heaps better.

There's only two songs I'd be happy with taking this but I'm not jinxing by saying the names, no mam!

nikkysan and allyshone like this.
  7. let's go Top 5!

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.493
    TOTAL POINTS: 284.8

2016:
    4/113 (-1) | 9.421 (+0.072)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 21 ( @allyshone, @theincredibleflipper, @lalaclairi_, @boombazookajoe, @Phonetics Girl, @BubblegumBoy, @odyism, @Remorque, @Maria, @eatyourself, @Dijah., @Crisp X, @Purple, @sesita, @TheOnlyOne, @godspeed, @Ensnare, @klow, @TéléDex, @Ramalama, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 1 ( @Aester )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

End Of Time was the final single to be taken from Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. It was co-written with The Dream, Shea Taylor, Switch and Diplo and was officially released on April 23, 2012 in the UK. The song was originally meant to be the second single after Run The World (Girls), but someone made the dumb decision to go with Best Thing I Never Had. End Of Time is uptempo and extremely uplifting love song, which is a common theme coming after Love On Top and Countdown on the standard edition tracklist. Beyoncé was inspired to record the song after watching various musicians perform at music festivals. She felt the need to have a couple more huge classics in her back pocket to play for festival-sized crowds. Of course she would go on to perform the song at Glastonbury, which consisted of a crowd of around 100,000 people. Can we please get another Glastonbury headlining performance? Please! Her artistry has grown tenfold since then. Just imagine. The inspiration behind the production came from the late Nigerian musician Fela Kuti whom Beyoncé appreciated, saying, "I loved his drums, all the horns, how everything was on the one. What I learned most from Fela was artistic freedom: he just felt the spirit."

I was so annoyed that Best Thing I Never Had was chosen as the second single when End Of Time was RIGHT THERE. While my favourites on 4 have often switched up over the years, End Of Time remained a favourite of mine from the beginning. It’s just so epic. The quickly spoken verses are a highlight, harkening back to when Destiny Child used to do the same. The production is triumphant and definitely gives you the feeling of something huge. The vocals, both studio and live are insane. End Of Time is a 3 minute and a half non-stop rush.

Being the final single from the 4 era, End Of Time didn’t chart high anywhere. It peaked at #39 in the UK, but went on to be certified Silver, selling over 200,000 copies. Overall, the song has sold over 700,000 copies worldwide and currently has around 120m streams on Spotify. I guess we’ll never know how it would have done if it was released as the second single from the album. And yes, I know WHY they chose Best Thing I Never Had as a second single, but I still would have opted for this. A music video was planned for release, however it never came to fruition, probably because Beyoncé was too busy being a new mother. She already gives us so much.

With the intention for the song to translate well for live audiences, Beyoncé was put to the test with her Glastonbury performance, where it rightfully went off. She had first performed the song a few days prior at a one-off concert in Nice, France. It was then included on the setlist for the 4 Intimate Nights with Beyoncé residency in New York City. All three of these performances were edited together to make a live video for the song, which now has over 85 million views on YouTube. The song was also performed for the Revel shows in Atlantic City, Good Morning America and numerous festival performances in 2015. In a very correct choice, End Of Time earnt a place on Beyoncé’s 2013 Super Bowl Halftime Show setlist. It was included on the opening leg of The Mrs Carter Show World Tour and on The Formation World Tour. For the latter, Beyoncé performed the song, mixed with Grown Woman, towards the end of the show in water. It was at the stop in Düsseldorf where an iconic gif was born featuring Beyoncé and her ponytail dancing to End Of Time.

[​IMG]

GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 19 others like this.

8. [​IMG]

Album Average: 8.287
    (Standard Edition: 8.388)
    2016: 7.702

[​IMG]

Songs:

5. End Of Time (9.493)
    10. Schoolin' Life (9.345)
    11. Countdown (9.271)
    14. Love On Top (9.258)
    25. I Miss You (8.901)
    34. Run The World (Girls) (8.791)
    42. Party (8.516)
    43. I Care (8.458)
    51. Dance For You (8.276)
    59. 1+1 (8.198)
    60. Lay Up Under Me (8.175)
    72. Start Over (7.9)
    87. I Was Here (7.616)
    104. Best Thing I Never Had (7.133)
    107. Rather Die Young (7.121)
    163. Dreaming (6.141)

[​IMG]

Top Scorers:

9.656 - @Music Is Death
    9.359 - @odyism
    9.343 - @Phonetics Girl

[​IMG]

Bottom Scorers:

7.031 - @Ana Raquel
    7.051 - @Epic Chocolat
    7.218 - @Aester

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 14 others like this.
  9. "Haunted" (8.5) surely is an experience thanks to the outstanding production (definitely among her best ever) and the general unpredictability but I have to be in a certain mood to fully immerse into it. A worthy winner of self-titled, I must say.

As for "End of Time", it just sounds huge and screams lead single, so it really was an odd choice to leave it without a big push. It's actually one of the first songs by Beyoncé I've heard and loved it ever since, but I still settled on a 9.5 to keep it apart from my ultimate faves. It really is among the very best songs from "4", I honestly thought it would reach top 3.

"All Night" leaving next would make the most sense.

Daniel_O, Maria and allyshone like this.
  10. oie_29153626PF91RMB.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Deja Vu beating all of 4 and Self-Titled? The nerve!!!

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 9.501
    TOTAL POINTS: 285.05

2016:
    3/113 (-1) | 9.424 (+0.077)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 11 x 2 ( @Remorque, @godspeed ) | 10 x 15 ( @allyshone, @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @Phonetics Girl, @BubblegumBoy, @odyism, @eatyourself, @soratami, @Crisp X, @sesita, @klow, @Lost In Japan., @Music Is Death, @Ramalama, @Robert )
    LOWEST SCORE: 6 x 1 ( @Aester )
    MY SCORE: 10/10

All Night comes towards the end of Beyoncé's sixth studio album, Lemonade and it acts as the positive closer to the story arc of the album, before she kills us off with the boppage of Formation to truly end the album. All Night was co-written with Diplo, Henry Allen, R.City, Ilsey Juber, Akil King, and Jaramye Daniels, while also containing a sampling the brass line from SpottieOttieDopaliscious by OutKast. The song is a mid-tempo, reggae-influenced love song, which describes Beyoncé fighting her way through all the pain and deceit and coming out stronger on the other end. The true message at Lemonade's core.

In an album jam-packed with story, it is so satisfying to reach the conclusion of All Night. The pre-chorus is immediately infectious, with Beyoncé singing, "Kiss up and rub up and feel up on you" and then the chorus ends up truly feeling like a warm hug with her light and airy vocals. We also get some of Beyoncé's favourite horn instrumentation in the production which gives the whole thing an extra kick. I've loved All Night ever since I first heard it, and while it may not be quintessential Beyoncé, I can't deny how it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. "How i've missed you, my love"... an essential track to finish the emotional rollercoaster that is Lemonade.

The video focuses on the love and positivity of the track as we see loads of clips of couples acting cute together, both gay and straight, including Bey and Jay, Mama Tina celebrating her second marriage and Blue Ivy playing some American Football on the Super Bowl field her father. It's a heartwarming package. The song became a decent seller, despite not reaching any high peaks in the charts. It earnt some spots on a few music publications end of year lists and it currently has over 70m streams on Spotify.

Beyoncé performed the song on The Formation World Tour, where it became another great singalong moment with the crowds. She also chose to perform it at the TIDALX1015 concert. Finally, it was performed by both Zara Larsson and London Grammar during their Live Lounge sets at the time.

GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 17 others like this.
  13. So there we have it, three lead singles fighting for the top spot.
    And they all took turns at the top during voting by the way.

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

GimmeWork, Robert, godspeed and 19 others like this.
  14. "Deja vu" literally has no place being here! She's a cute girl, but come on!

15. The single cover though… DIVINE!

16. Deja Vu (and lowkey Crazy In Love) are really not the Top 3 girls you all have made them out to be…

17. Some of you have never experienced the joy of bass, hi-hat, 808 and it shows.

Also this is almost a perfect top three for me, all are iconic, all are winners.

godspeed, Mvnl, Dijah. and 3 others like this.
  18. I gave 10 to all 3 songs. Deja Vu or Formation for the win.

Maria likes this.
  19. Deja Vu isn't even the best song featuring Beyonce's husband on B'Day! How y'all allowed it to get to the top 3 over basically half the tracklist but particularly Green Light, Get Me Bodied and Upgrade U in particular is mind boggling to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.