BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed! | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

BEYONCÉ: the discography rate ~ WINNER revealed!

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by allyshone, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Daddy is trash. I cannot believe she recorded it. That said I love that she’s removed it from streaming services, she knows it’s a flop too. Not counting the optional extras I hope it dies a swift death as the first to be eliminated.

Lost Yo Mind is also terrible and I’m very sorry to all the I Am… apologists but Ego is garbage too. I am manifesting a swift exit for that one.

I didn’t do the optional extras but I did go out of my way to give Perfect the zero it deserves…

Remorque, soratami and Maki like this.
  2. All these years later, I still can't get over how cringeworthy Ego is, I don't know what everyone involved was thinking. The brain-dead wink wink nudge nudge of it all...

[​IMG]

Wild Man., Verandi, Remorque and 4 others like this.
  3. And here's the last spotlight of its kind:

Songs we could've rated

(commercials edition)

Pepsi's Carmen

This one is a bit of a scream. The first time Bey worked with Pepsi back in 2002, singing a variation of "Habanera", simultaneously serving as promo for her Carmen: A Hip-Hopera musical gig. She would go on to 'collab' with Pepsi several times after this, the next being a very memorable "We Will Rock You" one with P!nk and Britney, which appears in this rate.

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend

This was used for Emporio Armani Diamonds fragrance commercial back in 2007. It's not known whether a full version of her cover exists.

Moon River

The most recent commercial song was actually released last year, where Beyoncé does a very pretty cover of "Moon River" for Tiffany & Co‘s new campaign, and the ad is wonderfully shot. In the director's cut version of the commercial, an additional verse is sung:

I feel like some unreleased songs also deserve their own spotlights, but I might do that along the way.

4. I’m ashamed to admit that there is a song that everyone is calling to be first out that I … kind of like.

Anyway, first out should be Proud to Be An American. A) it sucks, and B) that’s not something to be particularly proud about at the moment! And eliminating it on the weekend before July 4th would be apt!

Remorque, eatyourself, Dijah. and 5 others like this.
  5. Just say Perfect Duet nn

6. Okay fine
    [​IMG]

7. Let me attempt a ranking, cause while messy, the averages are reflective of how I'm feeling about the albums.

Lemonade 9.65
    4 9.34
    The Carters 9
    BEYONCÉ 8.25 [8.75 w/o bonus tracks]
    B'Day 7.61
    The Gift 7.27
    I Am... Sasha Fierce 7.125
    Optional 6.25
    Extras 5.79
    Dangerously in Love 5.6 (sorry nnń)

8. All votes have now been added. This rate is going to A LOT of fun, sucks for those who have missed out! Catch you all tomorrow.

[​IMG]

9. Got my 3D glasses on, I'm ready for the first elimination.

[​IMG]

10. Thanks again to all those who have participated and those who will be contributing in this thread throughout the rate. Whether you rated or not, I can't wait to hear all your thoughts on one of the greatest discographies by any BPG! I really hope you enjoy.

LET THE ELIMINATIONS BEGIN!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 2.378
    TOTAL POINTS: 49.95

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 7 x 2 ( @boombazookajoe, @odyism )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 8 ( @allyshone, @theincredibleflipper, @Ana Raquel, @Daniel_O, @Phonetics Girl, @soratami, @Orange, @klow )
    MY SCORE: 0/10

Unsurprisingly, the first track out in the second PJ Beyoncé discography rate is Perfect Duet with Ed Sh666an. As a Beyhive member, I like to think that one of Beyoncé's greatest strengths is quality control. However, there was a period in late 2017 where B was making me slightly question that strength... just slightly. I don't have much to say about the song itself, I gave it a 0, like many of you did.

However, Perfect Duet did satisfy the locals and was a huge hit worldwide and up until the recent release of Break My Soul, was sitting at the top of Beyoncé's most popular songs on Spotify... I feel ill.

Renaissance can't come quick enough!

more bottom of the barrel eliminations to follow in quick succession... but yaas - we are finally eliminating!​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  11. hjgkldshgglsdhgld I'm certainly not surprised and I am howling that I am the highest scorer. (Hey @odyism bestie!) Yes, the song is beige as hell but she sounds incredible and eats Ed up on his song. That riff at 3:43? I kind of hear God!

Remorque, Maki and soratami like this.
  12. I didn’t score it as I didn’t have time to score the optional songs but a fair first cut!

My preferred Beyoncé/Ed collaboration is this, she was on one that day:

Remorque and Maria like this.
  13. Seriously though, always seeing that song at the top of Beyoncé's Spotify page is just sad. The locals really need to stop listening to wedding playlists or wherever it is those streams are coming from.

Remorque, RainOnFire, Purple and 4 others like this.
  14. Some more eliminations to get out of the way quickly...

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 3.184
    TOTAL POINTS: 60.5

2016:
    N/A
    HIGHEST SCORE: 6 x 4 ( @Sprockrooster, @theincredibleflipper, @Daniel_O, @Maki )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 ( @sesita, @godspeed )
    MY SCORE: 1/10

I did the graphics ages ago, so I realised that Beyoncé's version of this song was officially titled Proud To Be An American, however it's a cover of a Lee Greenwood song which also goes by the name of God Bless The USA. Anyway, the song wasn't important enough to change the graphic so here we are.

[​IMG]
    SCORE: 3.53
    TOTAL POINTS: 105.9

2016:
    113/113 (-73) | 2.468 (+1.062)
    HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 ( @Sprockrooster )
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 5 ( @Daniel_O, @Maria, @Orange, @TheOnlyOne, @godspeed )
    MY SCORE: 2/10

I’m sure there’s only one person in the world that enjoys this song, and that’s Mathew Knowles. Motivated by her loyalty to her father and then manager, Beyoncé wrote and recorded this nearly 5 minute ode to him after her debut album release date had been pushed back. Considering what Beyoncé would eventually go through, dealing with her father’s antics, it’s a surprise she hasn’t had her team swipe this off the internet. Mathew, for all his flaws, did play a hand in creating one of the greatest artists and performers to have ever lived though.

In 2009, it was revealed that Mathew had cheated on wife Tina with an actress, who would go on to give birth to their child. Tina would go on to file for divorce after a paternity test concluded that Mathew was the father. Then in 2010, Live Nation believed Mathew had been stealing from Beyoncé on The I Am… World Tour. Courts ruled in Live Nation’s favour after Beyoncé’s legal team conducted an audit. Beyoncé would finally fire Mathew in 2011 and since then has flourished into the even more amazing artist we know and love today. Hopefully their relationship has healed since, however I still can’t stomach this song. It’s those cheesy, uninspired and safe choices on Dangerously In Love that really let down what could have been a pretty solid 10 track debut album. Little did we know, 13 years later we would get the much better Daddy Lessons.

The song has never been performed live, and probably will never be. Still, the song has nearly 4 million listens on Spotify, and in some disturbed people’s brains on YouTube, they believe this to be the “perfect father’s day song”. Here's a song which sums up my feelings about the track in one word:​

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  15. Great (terrible?) first eliminations and all well deserved! Although my last place would probably be the awful Daddy!

sesita, Maria and Robert like this.
  16. Perfect Duet: 0.25 lol.
    Proud to be An American: Oh, shit, I forgot to score it! Lol. If it was her 2013 Star Spangled Banner (a.k.a. La Fway!), I would have scored it a 10.
    Walk on Water: 0. No R or S-slurs please, Emily!

Remorque and Maki like this.
  17. I didn't know "Walk on Water" even existed until this rate. And now I'm going to forget it, which will be easy.

18. Yeah, no surprises here.

Perfect Duet - 4.5
    ~ Probably the most ironic song title to ever exist. I actually don't hate this - it is listenable and Bey sounds great (as if that's surprising) but it's just a massively uninspired snoozefest and Ed is well... Ed.

‎Proud to Be an American / God Bless the USA - 6
    ~ Scream at being among the highest scorers with a 6! That must be a record of some sort. While I do generally have an aversion towards patriotic songs, this is the type of useless cover that I can tolerate. The melody is nice enough and the way she sings improves it. I can't call it underrated but there's definitely worse kind of dross here. For example...

Walk on Water - 4.25
    ~ I heard this once or twice before and obviously never returned to it. I couldn't care less about Eminem (unless finding him/his voice extremely annoying counts), so at least Bey having a good hook could've made up for that a bit. But no, she got an averagely boring one - at least it goes nicely with the general dullness of the song.

All in all:

[​IMG]

19. Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  20. That's a 0, two 3s and a 4

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.