Beyoncé - The Lion King: The Gift | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Beyoncé - The Lion King: The Gift

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by EnsnareTheSenses, Jan 25, 2019.

1. I'm really surprised that this is getting dragged by the critics, I just assumed it was actually going to be really good and garner acclaim. She still has a Best Original Song nomination on lock, so that's a positive.

stuaw and Secret like this.
  2. It's a shot-for-shot remake, but with animals unable to emote. There is no need for it to exist.

3. The Hans Zimmer pieces are still glorious though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    jawow_ likes this.
  4. Don't talk about Selena Gomez like that.

5. She sounds SO GOOD in Can You Feel The Love Tonight. Donald though......try again sis.

Also, the general consensus seems to be that the movie looks lifeless and devoid of the original's charm.

6. Beyoncé sounds just—so good on CYFTLT.

7. I personally prefer Donald on that. Of course she sounds great, but she also sounds too much like “look how great I can sing people”. It’s a little bit fake as a performance in a film.

rakija likes this.
  8. So...she wasn't supposed to sing well or what, exactly?

9. That’s not my point at all but ok.

Pineapple likes this.
  10. The Lion King (1994) - 8.5/10 on IMDb, 93% on RT, 88 on Metacritic

The Lion King (2019) - 5.5/10 on IMDb, 58% on RT, 57 on Metacritic

[​IMG]

Disney, stop bastardising your classics.

11. I bet it's @uksinglemom coming for the members who don't have insurance.

Andrew.L likes this.
  12. I'll judge after I've seen it. Which is next wednesday. But overall that whole real life remaking thing is getting too much. It was pointless from the beginning.

lushLuck likes this.
  13. I love the original but I have no desire to watch the remake. I;ll just take Spirit and Can You Feel The Love Tonight and run.

Just release your inspired-by album already Bey.

lushLuck likes this.
  14. The only live action version of a Disney film I've enjoyed was Cinderella (Beauty and The Beast was okay except for bloody Emma Watson) so I'm wary about this.

Sprockrooster likes this.
  15. The ones that were already based on human characters make sense somehow. I enjoyed Aladdin too, and Beauty and the Best a lot actually. But it still felt rather pointless.

Spirit is in the vein of Speechless from Aladdin and that new Celine song from Beauty. Nice to have but overall way beneath the original soundtrack songs.

Once Upon A Time though. Now that was great.

irishlamb likes this.
  16. The best part will be how this will age like mayonnaise because of rapidly advancing CGI technology while the original will remain a gorgeous classic.

Also Beyoncé's career will be completely unbothered by any of this and we will continue to be blessed just to be alive in an age where Beyoncé also happens to be alive.

17. I just wanted a Beyonce version of He Lives In You.

18. Personally I dont give a fat rats ass about the CGI characters not in sync with the words, bitter twitter folks making fun of Beyonce, etc. I know its going to be a great movie and I know my nephews and nieces are going to enjoy it. I will likely see it with my boyfriend since he's a beyhive and if it's cheesy then oh well because I know I'll still enjoy it.

19. Your tone seems...very pointed right now. Maybe you should have a piece of gazelle carcass and calm down.

20. I mean...I stan the Lion King and Beyonce pretty adamantly and equally... but I'm not going THIS hard, ma'am.

I fully believe that allowing Rafiki to be female would've changed the feel of the film enough to make the re-envisioning seem more warranted. Give the good sis a bit of backstory about why she's so wise, let her be in cahoots with Nala and Sarabi to bring back Simba, let her and Nala duet on 'Shadowland' AND let the only animal character with human-esque features emote through 'He Lives in You', arguably, the best song of the Lion King songbook...

Stunt cast away, sistren.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.