Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED. | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 29, 2019.

1. [​IMG]
    Wonderland Entered Chart 21/01/1984 13-8-10-14-21-37-51-72 Weeks On Chart 8. Highest Chart Position 8
    Back to what the band does best an all out rockier track that has something. I remember the winter of 1984 and hearing this for the first time , once again a very strong entry into the band's singles output.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    East Of Eden Entered Chart 29/09/1984 27-17-24-34-49-66 Weeks On Chart 6 Highest Chart Position 17.
    Taken from Steeltown, this moves the band in a slightly different direction musically without actually changing too much. Deeper and heavier than what had come before, a travesty that it only made 17.

3. I shall look at the next 7 tracks hopefully tomorrow.

4. [​IMG]
    Where The Rose Is Sown Entered Chart 01/12/1984 35-29-34-40-50-48-47 Highest Chart Position 29 Weeks On Chart 7
    Strange on this. I didn't like it at the time but the song has grown on me over time and now I place it quite high up in my BC singles rate. I do think releasing as the Christmas period was starting with the likes of Band Aid etc, was wrong as far as getting a high chart placing goes. They should have done a Wonderland and put it out first week in January. But of course with the very quick follow up, Just A Shadow that was impossible, and talking of Just A Shadow...

5. [​IMG]
    Just A Shadow Entered Chart 19/01/1985 35-26-29-46 Highest Chart Position 26 Weeks On Chart 4
    Putting out two singles in quick succession did not work for the band with a lowly 4 weeks on the chart for Just A Shadow, once again a very strong track that deserved more.

6. I'm very much the same with this one. It won't surprise anyone that I am a fan of their "imperial phase" of 1983 and early 1984, but this was a shock. I couldn't hear a tune in there at all, at least not on the radio. The mixing/production is a muddy mess (I think I did read an interview with the band around 1986 where they said they wished the Steeltown album had been produced differently).

Perhaps, East Of Eden just wasn't the hit the label were hoping for, it should have been enough to see the album (a #1, lest we forget) through until the New Year, but I guess they panicked. The natural thing would have been Just A Shadow as single #2 in January, which sort-of happened. But the era was effectively over by late January, quite a contrast to The Crossing which stayed on the charts for months.

Hairycub1969 and simes1970 like this.
  7. [​IMG]
    Look Away Entered Chart 12/04/1986 18-10-7-8-14-21-33-54 Highest Chart Position 7 Weeks On Chart 7.
    Their first Top 10 hit on over 2 years and it's one that I don't like. It does not grab me the way their singles did at the time.

8. I'm surprised! It felt like a move back to the Crossing sound, a cleaner production and hook-laden song. Although having said that, seeing it on the TOTP reruns for 1986 recently, it hadn't aged that well.

9. [​IMG]
    The Teacher Entered Chart 21/06/1986 34-28-34-57 Highest Chart Position 28 Weeks On Chart 4
    This for me the biggest travesty of them all. The track has so much atmosphere and energy I was expecting a Top 10 for this. A much stronger track than Look Away this more than any other single should have achieved more.

10. Its lack of success was a shock....maybe the fans were waiting for the album (it followed only 3 weeks later, having been put back a week from June 23rd). This was a grower for me...I didn't like it at first, it sounded like two songs bolted together....I loved the mood of the intro and the verses, but the chorus wasn't sitting smoothly with me until I'd had the album for a bit.

11. [​IMG]
    One Great Thing Entered Chart 20/09/1986 27-19-22-33-48-75 Highest Chart Position 19 Weeks On Chart 7.
    Have they ever made a more "Scottish" sounding single than this. It is an anthem, but that doesn't mean it's a great song. Enjoyable at the time but listening back, there is far too much going on seems to have been thrown together in the hope of a major hit single rather than anything else.

12. One Great Thing is a song in search of an advert.

Which it eventually found.

Big Country Redux, really. The Seer album is full of ambitious delights. The singles chosen don't quite do justice to that.

13. [​IMG]
    Hold The Heart Entered Chart 29/11/1986 56-55 Highest Chart Position 55 Weeks On Chart 2
    Here we have it, the first track since Harvest Home to not go Top 40. It's a pleasant enough song but lacking a cutting edge. It starts well then meanders it's way to a conclusion.

14. I guess it was their attempt at another "Chance". I'd have swapped the release of this and One Great Thing around, as Hold The Heart was never going to do anything in the pre-Xmas market, whereas One Great Thing would have tapped into the knees-up festive vibe.

15. [​IMG]
    King Of Emotion Entered Chart 20/08/1988 24-16-21-34-45-74(R) Highest Chart Position 16 Weeks On Chart 6.
    Talking almost 2 years away to make the new album this first taster, I was not sure of on first listen but after a few it grew on me. A strong start for the singles lifted from Peace In Our Time.

16. They seem to have cornered the market with putting singles out at wrong periods Eric.

17. I thought it was fantastic, a neat upgrade on their sound (which was a bit of a theme in August/September 1988, with Siouxsie & The Banshees and Talk Talk also stretching their creative muscles). There are also a couple of other brilliant tracks on the subsequent album, but overall it proved to be a bit of a false dawn.

18. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Broken Heart (13 Valleys) Entered Chart 05/11/1988 64-47-60-73 Highest Chart Position 47 Weeks On Chart 4.
    Another track that I think was very strong and failed to go Top 40. Unfortunately the band had lost the general public appeal by this time and only has a strong but not strong enough fanbase.

19. [​IMG]
    Peace In Our Time Entered Chart 04/02/1989 39-39-50 Highest Chart Position 39 Weeks On Chart 3
    I was trying to think of something to redeem this track but I cannot. This is close to my worst Big Country single.

20. [​IMG]
    Save Me Entered Chart 12/05/1990 48-41-47 Highest Chart Position 41 Weeks On Chart 3
    To coincide with the Band's first major Greatest Hits this was the single recorded as a teaser for that album.Harks back to earlier days in style and all the better for it.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.