Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED. | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 29, 2019.

1. [​IMG]
    Heart Of The World Entered Chart 21/07/1990 50-63 Highest Chart Position 50 Weeks On Chart 2.
    This is my Big Country guilty pleasure track. Love it from the first time of hearing, drew me in and I still play this today.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  2. [​IMG]
    Republican Party Reptile Entered Chart 31/08/1991 37-56 Highest Chart Position 37 Weeks On Chart 2.
    Heart Of The World left some clues as to what to expect next. More rock based than their earlier singles perhaps of course trying to tap into the US with the title.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  3. [​IMG]
    Beautiful People Entered Chart 19/10/91 72 Highest Chart Position 72.
    So what to follow a rock track, I know let's go country. I cannot make up my mind if this is pure genius or if it's the worst thing the band did single wise.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  4. [​IMG]
    Alone Entered Chart 13/03/1993 29-24-49 Highest Chart Position 24 Weeks On Chart 3
    Change of record company and a change of fortune as the band get their highest chart position in almost 5 years. Superb rock track.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  5. [​IMG]
    Ships (Where Were You) Entered Chart 01/05/1993 29-29-52 Highest Chart Position 29 Weeks On Chart 3
    A track which started life on the previous album No Place Like Home as a piano led ballad is given a makeover with full rock instrumentation. This song I have to say brings tears to my eyes it's is possibly Stuart Adamson's finest moment .

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  6. There we go, all the tracks that can be voted on. Have a listen to them and make your own judgements. Some great and some not so great singles.

7. One Not-so-Great Thing.

simes1970 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  8. Sadly true. This is an absolute gem of a track though. If only it had been on The Seer.

9. This is a strange one. There was the Greatest Hits album in May 1990, with the new song (pretty average fare), but then this followed not long after, and wasn't on the GH...and I never actually heard it all until many years later when a Stuart Adamson compilation came out (2001 or so).

10. Well, if I am welcome, I'd like to be part of this. I like rock and I like smaller rates. I can't rate 100 songs at one time ...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  11. You are more than welcome Filippa. More people that join the rate the better it will become.

12. To help you with voting we shall now look at some live versions of the tracks you can give a score on.
    We are going to start with Ships recorded live in 1991.

13. Second of 4 for this evening takes us to the Princes Trust 1990 for Heart Of The World.

14. Next up Broken Heart (13 Valleys) from 1991 at Rockpalast

15. And let us head back to the very beginning, recorded for the Tube in 1984, here is Harvest Home.

16. The time has come to see just how many voters we have for this Big Country Rate. To make it a viable rate I need upward of 5 people wishing to rate all the tracks as shown on page 1. Thanks.

Hairycub1969 and Filippa like this.
  17. Definitely taking part. Just be sure to remind me, as I'm all over the place these days!

Hairycub1969 and Filippa like this.
  18. Me too! I am really looking forward to it!

19. Me too - count me in! Including yourself @simes1970 that makes four so far!

Eric Generic likes this.
  20. Only 2 weeks left to get your votes in for Big Country Rate.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.