Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED. | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Big Country UK Singles Rate 1982-1994 The Harvest is here. NO1 Revealed. RATE FINISHED.

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by simes1970, Mar 29, 2019.

1. It became apparent from the votes coming in that there was only going to be one winner of this rate, it was the surprises in between that made the rate very interesting. Having said that the track at no2 is great but I thought Top 5/6 at the most. So without further ado here is the song voted as the second best Big Country Single 1982-1994

No2 King Of Emotion Score 45.5 Average 9.1 Highest Score 10 (Simes1970, Filippa)
    Other Scores 9 (Eric Generic) 8.5 (Remorque) 8 (Hairycub1969)
    Great lead single from Peace In Our Time, but it proved to be a false dawn as the album itself wasn't the strongest but back to this, This has one hell of a lead in to the chorus and that is what makes it work for me. It builds which can sometimes be a problem with Big Country singles starting out strong and leaving the track no where to go.
    Comments Include
    "That’s how I like a rock song!" (Filippa)
    "As per Look Away, another very strong comeback single to launch a new album, this time in 1988 when it had been over 2 years since they'd had a genuine hit in Britain. Unfortunately, it didn't take them up a level commercially as happened with U2's Desire and Simple Minds' Belfast Child around the same time." (Eric Generic)
    "There's a clear melody in there and it's catchy in the end, but who the fuck is this band? Big Country used to sound big in all of their Scottish charm, but this is a totally different sound. A nice single, but not up there with their top tier material." (Remorque)

That brings us to the runaway winner.

No1 Fields Of Fire Score 52 Average 10.4 Highest Score 12 (Filippa)
    Other Scores 11 (Hairycub1969) 10 (Eric Generic, Remorque) 9 (Simes1970)
    The anthem that is Fields Of Fire. It has a bit of everything, guitar, Bagpipes, and a great tune to boot.
    Comments Include
    "I love the bagpipe-sounding strings on this one and the production sounds just as grandiose as Harvest Home. Stuart Adamson gives us another fantastic vocal performance too." (Remorque)
    " love everything about this song. The bagpipe – like sound, the chorus, the driving rhythm. Such an anthem!" (Filippa)
    "Second time out, straight into their imperial phase. It's all here, the bagpipe-guitars, the songwriting and vocal stylings, the "windswept" sound." (Eric Generic)

And there we have it, you voted Fields Of Fire as your favourite single from Big Country.
    Thanks to those that took the time to vote.

2. Next up for me Nik Kershaw The MCA UK Singles Rate 1983-1989.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  3. Thanks for a great rate, @simes1970 ! Interesting results, but then I am very much guided by my nostalgia when it comes to Big Country's best moments.

Pleased to see King Of Emotion and Republic Party Reptile do so well, as those were two of their better latterday singles; pity they were so much better than the albums they trailed.

simes1970 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  4. I second that (king of) emotion: Thank you @simes1970 for another great rate!
    I really enjoy your rates as they contain a smaller "manageable" number of songs to rate!
    Most importantly because of the artists you choose!
    Can't wait for the Nik Kershaw rate "Wouldn't it be good" if we had a larger number of people joining in on that one - I miss @Baby Clyde's "to the point" comments on rates!

simes1970 and Eric Generic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.