BIG POP GIRLS 2020 | Page 101 | The Popjustice Forum

BIG POP GIRLS 2020

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Laura Vanderbooben, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Okay that's enough of that.

ohnostalgia, Remorque, Maki and 47 others like this.
  2. 77

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.841

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 15 (@Jwentz, @DJHazey, @GimmeWork, @OspreyQueen, @BubblegumBoy, @soratami, @tylerc904, @theincredibleflipper, @Andrew.L, @Conan, @citoig, @unnameable, @Epic Chocolat, @TéléDex, @Laura Vanderbooben)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 8 (@RJF, @Mushroom, @CuteStuff, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Rem, @matthew., @Kyliéyoncé, @Trinu 3.0)
    RJF'S SCORE: 0/10
    MY SCORE: 10/10

Much like when Princess Diana died, I'm sure everyone remembers where they were when Stupid Love leaked. I was in an airport (remember those!) and turned on my phone to find frantic texts from a litany of acquaintances friends. "Have you heard it?! It's SO good" texted someone who happens to be on the leaderboard but didn't vote in this rate. Another who did vote posted "it's good!" with a thumbs-up on their IG story. Ah, yes, the receipts I could post, girls. But I shan't, because like lemmings off a cliff, 'twas decided that Stupid Love is a ~bad~ song, and the tides turned against it. But I am a lion - well, a Leo moon, at least - and I am unafraid to say I stupidly love Stupid Love, my most played song of 2020. (The February release didn't hurt.)

My criteria for what makes a song good are as follows:

1) it slaps.

That's it. I don't really give a fuck about anything else when it boils down to it. I listen to slappers. I very rarely listen to songs that don't slap. And Stupid Love, with its autotuned dolphins and wordless chorus and deafening overblown production and title that is literally just synonyms of 'Bad' and 'Romance', slaps to mine ears. I needed to get perked up a lot in 2020, and it did it for me every time. That's my truth and I stand in it!

I could further break down how I see people dancing in my head when I listen to any music (is there a word for that? Do we all do that and that's why we love pop music?) or how I've always just enjoyed Gaga peripherally, so releasing a big dumb song like this doesn't feel like betrayal to me (as it clearly did to some of you!) but...eh, we've all been talking about this song all goddamn year, so have at it. I'm gonna go have my *checks last.fm* 702nd play! More 10s than 0s, let's celebrate that!

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

5. [​IMG]

6. K94

K94

Well damn

[​IMG]

Bslg17, Remorque, KingBruno and 41 others like this.
  7. [​IMG]

Also, looks like @RJF found a Lady Gaga equivalent of "Girl Gone Wild".

8. I don't think Stupid Love is as bad as most people on here, but a 10/10? Mawma.

9. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

@Jwentz is a Stupid Love apologist? I can’t.

[​IMG]

10. K94

K94

I gave it a 6.5 - it's not terrible but it's woefully underwritten and doesn't really hold a candle to her other leads (even Born This Way).

11. It takes a 10/10 to know a 10/10!

12. Subwaykid

Subwaykid Staff Member

[​IMG]

This image being the absolute peak of the entire album campaign. The visual left turn for Gags, the hint at a real late-90's/early-00's cohesive aesthetic, the idea that we could be in for a campy, vivid album that was silly but bitingly satirical. The way we got literally none of that. Such promise, such hope.

13. [​IMG]

14. [​IMG]

15. Stupid Love isn't a 10 to me - I gave it a 5.5, as it do be known to slap but my overplaying of it upon release + there being better on the album (yes, really, die mad about it) has diminished it a lil - but EIGHT zeroes? Girl...

16. The good news for the girls is that Taylor likely has that “lowest scoring lead single” record on lock forever!

17. 63B2C39C-1BA3-4899-96B5-EDBA91BDDC91.gif

Sanctuary and Maki like this.
  19. Everything about Stupid Love feels dated and derivative for Gaga. The 5 years too late Bloodpop instrumental that he's probably had rotting in his hard drive since the same sessions he released that song with Justin, the hook taking a line from one of her biggest and most iconic hits and just replacing two of the words with synonyms, the video that looks like it was done on a Drag Race challenge budget and manages to be worse than any of her early videos that were actually made on Drag Race challenge budgets...an all around disaster.

Remorque, Vixen, thommyh and 21 others like this.
  20. Stupid Love is frustrating because it would be pretty good if it had an actual chorus. The verses are great but as soon as that drop hits... yikes.

Remorque, Dijah., Kuhleezi and 11 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.