BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Dec 1, 2021.

1. aux

aux

74 songs.

5 albums.​

89 voters.​

Welcome to...
    BIG POP GIRLS 2021

The first song out is...​

[​IMG]

SCORE: 5.8764

HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 2 (@Jwentz, @Sprockrooster)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 2 (@KingBruno, @Cutlery)
    MY SCORE: 6.5

Surprised? The bottom spot kept switching throughout most of the voting period until the last twenty ballots where this was cemented at the bottom. This - and the next song - were the only songs with an average below six. I am not sure if this should've been the first out, considering I have some lower scores than this, alas, the voters decided!

"Up And Down" is the first 'new' song on Planet Her's deluxe release, which doesn't really hit the highs of the standard album, does it girls? It's a shame because I find the standard edition of Planet Her to be nearly perfect bar a couple of songs and I fear the deluxe just added more unnecessary clutter.

I'm quite ambivalent on "Up And Down", it's not downright awful but it's not excellent either; I suppose the voters agree since this is the only song without a single ten in the rate. I do find the song a bit redundant with how repetitive the chorus is. I just find the chorus to fall flat in slow motion, specially when the verses are classic Doja with her flow zooming through the lyrics.

Our only commentary for this one, which comes from @Cutlery, who wrote "This Melanie Martinez parody by way of watered down Tierra Whack all while bringing out the worst side of Doja... Bin her."

She has never performed the song, but I did come across a video of her playing the song on Instagram Live before it came out, all whilst wearing a Pikachu bikini with a Mario hat and matching moustache. If that doesn't sum up Doja Cat, I don't know what else will.

evilsin, nikkysan, Sanctuary and 64 others like this.
  2. Oh!

Well that video of Doja livestreaming has always made me love that song.

3. She sounds like ass on the (bad) chorus so yeah bye.

4. I'm not mad at this going first, it's one of Doja's least essential tracks ever. I don't mind it when it's on, but I never actively try and play it!

5. Not one of my lowest scores actually going first in a rate! Good choice voters.
    I'm sure the mess will start soon.

Cotton Park, Remorque and aux like this.
  6. Oh well that's a fair first out.

7. Yeah that chorus (and the beat) is so dull.

8. Up and Down is not my ideal first out, but it's no big loss either. I'm surprised that got two 0s, doesn't really seem like the type of song that would warrant such strong reactions.

9. My second-lowest track, under the track I voted to be my one and only 0. This, meanwhile, got 7.

10. My lowest score! Fully happy with this elimination!

11. Up and Down is extremely unremarkable and that’s probably what made it go first.

12. Not my least favorite song here but it's so whatever I don't even care.

Alone is amazing. I love Doja in that kind of atmosphere.

Aester, Jonathan27, Remorque and 4 others like this.
  13. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

Would’ve loved to see One Step Forward, Two Steps Back go first, but at least I gave Up and Down a sub 6 score.

14. Up And Down is fine. I gave it an 8 for the verses, which are pretty great, and some elements of the production that I enjoyed, but I do feel like that's a tad generous now, as the chorus is grating and definitely the song's weakest point in all aspects.

15. Inland Empire

Inland Empire Staff Member

I actually don’t mind the deluxe suite of Planet Her that much - Tonight and Why Why are some of the higher scores I gave the album. But yeah Up And Down is tragic. Sort of thing I’d expect to hear only as a leaked demo from before her breakthrough.

Enough For You next please.

16. The only score I had lower than Up and Down was for Whispers so that can go next.

Remorque and aux like this.
  17. I want hope ur ok OUT.

aux likes this.
  18. The vast majority of Sour could leave right now and I wouldn’t care.

19. There's one song mentioned on this page that I gave a ten to, but I'm not surprised people aren't fans.

Remorque, aux and Music Is Death like this.
  20. I don't dislike anything in this rate enough to care what goes first, but I hope it being Doja isn't a sign!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.