BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE | Page 25 | The Popjustice Forum

BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Imagine is the only song in the rate I actively dislike, those autotuned verses are annoying as hell even if the chorus is fine.

Doja definitely needs to be left alone at this point, Ride would be my next choice but it's great so we need to start cutting from the other albums.

aux likes this.
  2. 1 Step Forward 2 Steps Back and Long Story Short can go whenever.

nikkysan, Serg., ohnostalgia and 4 others like this.
  3. I love me some autotune and all, but honey… She sounds absolutely unintelligible on Imagine.

Having said that, she’s a cute girl, but because it’s a stretched out interlude it wasn’t long for this world.

aux likes this.
  4. Double post and whatnot, but fuck no.

5. Doja herself calling Imagine “filler” a week after it came out says it all.

6. I honestly can never even remember how Imagine goes, all that comes to mind is the Ariana song.

7. I adore evermore with all my heart but "long story short" is my lowest score left so.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    aux, Trouble in Paradise and tea like this.
  8. "Thick as fuck but all I eat is SALID" in her shit crunchy autotuned chainsmoker's voice is hilarious though.

9. I was in my feelings, that's all really.

Also let's kick out some Halsey and Olivia songs. What is happening here?

aux likes this.
  10. tea

tea

Late but it's a somewhat mess that "enough for you" was 3rd out. The simple but pretty guitar melody, cute angst lyrics, Olivia showing off every inch of her vocal fjords like rent was due. It's not reinventing the wheel by any means, but she's a cute girl that did nothing wrong, and is hardly the worst from her album.

I do think the criticism that it treads on similar lyrical ground as other SOUR tracks is valid, however it is interesting considering there are tracks left from another singer-songwriter that suffer from repeating songwriting tropes to a worse extent dd

[​IMG]

11. This autocorrect took me out ddd.

12. aux

aux

[​IMG]

SCORE: 6.1938

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 1 (@boombazookajoe)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 3 (@Dynamo, @Attis, @ohnostalgia)
    MY SCORE: 5

And we return to Olivia; leaving Billie, Taylor and Halsey still in the rate unscathed... for now.

"1 step forward, 3 steps back" is okay, again, it's another song that I think suffers from being underdeveloped. I do love the melody and the production, but that's because it's ripped straight away from a Taylor song I already love. I think the interpolation really embittered my reaction to the song. The original song swallows "1 step forward, 3 steps back", at least for me, and I can't help but listen to "New Year's Day" straight after. It's interesting, because apparently the song was written separately from the interpolation, and Olivia then sang the song over "New Year's Day" and decided to try and get the sample cleared.

I do really like the lyrics - that's mainly where my points for this song went to. I think this can be said for a lot of Olivia's album, but it really encapsulates the feeling of a first love that's not so healthy and subsequently, the first break-up. I really appreciate how "1 step forward, 3 steps back" summates that feeling of doubting yourself when you're in a relationship that maybe you shouldn't be in the first place.

She's never performed this song, so here's Taylor singing "New Year's Day".

13. Welp.

14. I mean…New Years Day is not a good song so this is just, worse somehow

15. If New Year's Day was on, say, RED, it think it would be better received. It's a really lovely little song which is overshadowed by the entire album that precedes it.

16. As the sole 10 giver on this rate…

You think it got overshadowed on SOUR but wouldn’t have gotten overshadowed on RED?!

Remorque, aux and Lost In Japan. like this.
  17. I'm not talking about 1 step forward, and New Year's Day is a much better song than it (and I didn't give it a low score). Anyway, I'm not saying it would have been a standout on RED, I just don't think people would actively dislike it as much.

EDIT: The "overshadowing" album I'm referring to is obviously reputation.

Remorque and aux like this.
  18. For a nanosecond there I thought I was listening to enough for you again dddd.

This should have actually been the first song to leave from SOUR. And I totally get why fans of New Year’s Day can kinda resent it…

Gorgeous fjords, beautiful fjords though.

tea, happiestgirl, aux and 1 other person like this.
  19. OK but at least half of the Halsey album is way worse than 1 Step Forward, 3 Steps Back.

Remorque and aux like this.
  20. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

That was my lowest score of the entire rate, and it's not because I actually like New Year's Day. I feel like Olivia's thought process was let's build a song around a sample and then she proceeded to choose one of the most awkward Taylor Swift samples she could find. Olivia says she's a Swiftie and I believe her because of how much she tried to make that happen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.