BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE | Page 31 | The Popjustice Forum

BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Dec 1, 2021.

1. aux

aux

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.014

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 6 (@pondeforehead, @GimmeWork, @Jonathan27, @Sanctuary, @thommyh, @Sail On)
    LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 1 (@TéléDex)
    MY SCORE: 7

Doja just can't seem to stop haemorrhaging tracks... damn ma, it's that serious.

This is a perfect song until one-third into the song, straight after JID's verse, it feels like the song loses all its force. I actually feel it's a biT early to be losing this track, specially when there are far worse tracks left in the rate. It's been done dirty. Doja's flow is immaculate on this track, the first verse is an absolute rush. The sung verses are excellent, they're the exact style of dreamy vocals I expect and love from Doja. It's a really sultry, sensual, sweaty track - another thing that Doja excels at I fear. The production is really solid too, the lil' flute in the background is a bit annoying once you really pay attention to it like I am right now, but it's still overall, a really great package. JID's verse matches Doja's energy perfectly and really boosts the song too, it's a great feature even if the verse's lyrics are a bit corny. Ultimately, I wished this had done better and had gone after certain tracks which hopefully leave soon.

She's never performed this live, so here's "Streets" by Doja Cat. Everyone give it up for "Streets" you guys.

evilsin, nikkysan, Sanctuary and 61 others like this.
  2. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

We could’ve swung back to Olivia’s album instead.

3. Ok these Doja culls are getting a little bit hateful now.

Attis, eatyourself, Orange and 10 others like this.
  4. I’m surprised by the Doja cull! It should at least be the Dr L*ke songs going.

R27, Trouble in Paradise and aux like this.
  5. Every song on folklore getting at least a 7.0 average in last year's rate and every song on evermore getting at least a 7.0 in this year's rate...queen of literally not releasing bad songs since 2019
    [​IMG]

6. aux

aux

[​IMG]

SCORE: 7.0197

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 3 (@pop3blow2, @Trinu 3.0, @soratami)
    LOWEST SCORE: 2 x 1 (@tea)
    MY SCORE: 6.5

And Taylor Swift loses her first track, leaving Halsey as the only remaining artist that hasn't lost a singular track in the rate so far...

"it's time to go" is the closing track on evermore. It was released after on the deluxe edition of the album, which also houses "right where you left me" which is infinitely better. This one, which I do like, definitely feels like a 'bonus track' more so than the other. I really like the production on here, but in an album that sees Taylor further push herself away from her previous songwriting and evolving it beyond telling her own stories and now mashing her own stories with the stories of others, blending the lines of what is about her and what isn't, this feels like a return to her older songwriting. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but (!) as I said, in an album where her songwriting is really elevated, this feels a bit... middle of the road.

The song sees Taylor very blatantly discuss relationships that have gone awry in the past, including - most notably - her relationship with her former record label Big Machine Records who was sold to Scooter Braun by Scott Borchetta. This sale obviously resulted in the insane endeavour Taylor is currently on, with releasing re-recorded versions of her first six albums. It's a candid moment, hearing her sing about how she feels about this, as the story goes that Scott Borchetta was the person who signed her after she sang at The Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. The song sees Taylor explain her feelings on that betrayal, that the man who had been a close business partner for so long, would do such a thing. In the context of her later releases, the re-recorded versions of Fearless and Red, it's interesting hearing the song as it foreshadowed what was to come for Taylor's discography with the re-recordings.

This being the first out from evermore feels... right, this is one of the few songs on the record where I really don't have many strong feelings of either love or hate. She's never performed it live - much like the rest of evermore - so I'll be linking Taylor's version of "Better Man" which she performed at the Bluebird Cafe in 2019.

evilsin, K94, nikkysan and 58 others like this.
  7. tea

tea

The Tradition survived

[​IMG]

8. Okay now do Dorothea

[​IMG]

9. @Artemisia
    [​IMG]

10. I don’t have strong feelings about It’s Time to Go but Long Story Short and Closure should have vacated first.

11. Honestly though Halsey being the last one to lose a track is a bit iconic after people were questioning their inclusion.

@ a user who is currently banned for a month
    [​IMG]

K94, nikkysan, Inland Empire and 24 others like this.
  12. Options is a good song that I enjoy more with each listen but it leaving doesn’t bother me too much.

Neither does It’s Time to Go actually. I gave it a pretty high score but I don’t think about it much when I’m not listening so it’s a bit of a painless first evermore cut. I agree with the calls for Dorothea honestly. It’s the weakest on the album for me and I don’t use it much.

As far as Halsey being the last to lose a song, that actually seems right. Her album is pretty concise and is very solid all around. One of the most consistent in the rate so I’m happy for her! I hope her opening tracks are her first exits and it seems I’m in the majority there.

13. I gave evermore, like, a lot of 10s.... so I guess I can't be too upset about this being my first 10 to leave the rate.

I love middle-of-road singer/songwriter stuff, so it makes sense I adore this as much as I do. 'It's Time To Go' certainly feels a bit 90s Lilith-fair crossed with some Carly Simon's more introspective moments. So, right in my wheelhouse.

I agree with @aux that this does feel a bit like some of her older songwriting (I wonder if that was conscious due the song's more personal topics to her), but the reason I love this she much is that I'm not sure if she could've made these lyrics resonate with me the same way... even 5 years ago. There a maturity & confidence to 'It's Time To Go' ... and a restraint to the delivery that maybe a different version of Taylor might've approached more bitterly. Instead, this feels intimate & oddly positive despite the dubious circumstances/traumas the lyrics broach. I also like the song is ambiguous & universal... and still very autobiographical. Talent.

14. It’s a bonus track so it’s fake

[​IMG]

15. Now I'm the biggest Dojaholic here but JID ate her up on Options. It's such a great track I can't believe it's already gone.

16. Options is the first legitimately questionable elimination so far.

17. The Little Flannel Shirts didn’t see Halslay coming
    [​IMG]

Flop Girls Disappeaaarrrr herrre

18. Though I do enjoy the three Doja tracks that haven't survived these last few pages, I have absolutely no qualms about them leaving either. But when you have JID outperforming Doja on Options? Well, there's certainly something that's not quite right...

it's time to go - bonus track should absolutely not be the first song out from evermore, but I'm only a casual fan, so what do I know, I guess?

And never in a thousand-ish posts in this thread would I have guessed Halsey would be the only one standing with their full album intact.

[​IMG]

19. Options is such a banger, I fully anticipated it to last into the top 40. JID is the highlight of the song but it all builds to his feature. Doja's performance is still a knockout, that first verse is legitimately so well constructed and she delivers it like she's about to get the best dick of her life before telling him you're welcome.

K94, Remorque, Orange and 4 others like this.
  20. This really felt like

[​IMG]

No hate to Halsey whatsoever, but c'mon now......................................................................................

Sprockrooster, Remyky22 and aux like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.