BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE | Page 57 | The Popjustice Forum

BIG POP GIRLS 2021 - THE FINALE

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by aux, Dec 1, 2021.

1. aux

aux

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.0674

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 10 (@tea, @savilizabeths, @Petty Mayonnaise, @papatrick, @KingBruno, @Orange, @Phloo, @nikkysan, @Blond,
    LOWEST SCORE: 4 x 2 (@diamondliam, @Sprockrooster)
    MY SCORE: 7

I won't lie, I forgot this song was still in - specially after some of the Billie cuts we've already had, but anyways.

I'm that one girl in high school who doesn't play about production and this song really excels in that department. The song opens with a sample of Shark, Billie's pit bull, growling which immediately switches into everyone's favourite genre of music - Wii Music™. What I love is how the catchy, lighthearted beat is then overtaken towards the end by a warbling synth which swallows everything in its path. In the mix, FINNEAS' humming can be heard, slowly transitioning from the main song into the outro. Honestly, that entire section is my favourite moment of the song.

The song is essentially about leaving someone behind who you clearly don't want to be with anymore. This is clearly in tone with the rest of the album. It's quite interesting, I find that as an album, a lot of Happier Than Ever has a much clearer storyline than If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power - even though it got a full-length feature film. I'm not trying to start anything because I think thematically, they both have their fair share of clear tone and theme, but it's interesting to see which one has a clearer story.

Fun fact, originally, the song was going to be called "Laura", in reference to the line "Laura said I should be nicer / But not to you". The Laura in question is Billie's personal assistant.

2. Good! This song is boring.

3. I won't lie this song kept me off the album for a bit as well. I don't understand why she thought transitioning Getting Older to this works?

aux likes this.
  4. I gave it a ten but honestly, I'm just glad Doja is getting a break. drivers license has majorly overstayed it's welcome though in comparison to the songs left.
    evermore (the song) has too, sorry fellow Swifties...

5. I'll snatch those in-grown tastebuds right out of your mouth, worm!

[​IMG]

Anyways this mighT be my most scrobbled album track from HTE. The way she sings "texxxxxttttt" like she's blowing the word through her teeth. People who love this song give good head

K94, Laurence, dirtypony and 27 others like this.
  6. Losing two tens in a row is a… humbling experience.

Phloo, aux and papatrick like this.
  7. I love I Didn't Change My Number and I just had to give it a 10 in the end. The lyrics are so understated and direct and its production is very Timbaland-but-make-it-dark. Also the way she pronounces "and your best friend too" is an album highlight.

aux and RainOnFire like this.
  8. Halsey bearing down on the Top 20 with five tracks intact, it’s a win for the non-binaries I fear.

9. *sees amount of Taylor songs left*
    *checks eyes*
    *checks math*

Welp gurls it's time to put on your flannels, pick a log and pop-a-squat at the campfire. @aux change the thread title to "2021 Taylor Swift rate". Joni Mitchell cosplay evermore won. Pass the smores whores.

aux and boombazookajoe like this.
  10. aux

aux

[​IMG]

SCORE: 8.0702

11 x 1
    @Mirwais Ahmadzaï

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 16 (@pondeforehead, @Babyface, @dylanaber, @Jonathan27, @OspreyQueen, @Blond, @sexercise, @Mr Blonde, @Slice of Life, @sapnu puas, @papatrick, @Petty Mayonnaise, @savilizabeths, @Music Is Death, @Gabeee9292)
    LOWEST SCORE: 3 x 1 (@UncleDeSeanAli)
    MY SCORE: 8

I really don't like Christmas music, I'm sorry, which is why when evermore was announced while I was laying in bed, I immediately felt weary when I saw the name for this track. I don't remember who said this, but someone in the thread mentioned that they hoped "'tis the damn season" was not too seasonal so it would be listenable outside of the season and honestly, that's what the song nailed.

"'tis the damn season" is written from Dorothea's perspective in the evermore lore, with its counterpart song being... drum roll, please... "dorothea". The song is about well, Dorothea, a woman who left her home town in Mississippi for Los Angeles and then returned home many years after. In her return, she rekindles an old flame knowing it's going to burn out again. Nostalgia for a person is a funny thing, it's sometimes great getting to rekindle with older friends but there's always a hint that you both have moved on from those people you once were. I find that this song really nails that tone of melancholic nostalgia, specially tied into going back home during the holidays.

I wouldn't be a Swiftie if I somehow didn't make this song about me. For me, this song really hits a lot thinking about returning to my hometown. While I haven't been there for years now, I do always remember the feeling that it brought when I went there during Christmas to spend it with the other side of my family and my friends who were still at home after a year of not seeing them. It was always a weird feeling - you know these places, you know these people - but because it's been so long, you notice the differences so vividly and know that some of the aspects you once loved of your hometown and its people are no longer there. They also begin to point out the differences in you. People move on, people forget. Shops close down, new buildings are raised. This very bizarre atmosphere - even if my hometown is not the snowy town depicted in the song - is nailed by Taylor.

In between folklore and evermore, me and @Jonathan27 were talking about where we'd love to see Taylor go next, and in the midst of the conversation, Sheryl Crow's self-titled got mentioned. We both wished for Taylor to go for a slightly more harsher sound, still within folklore, but more rough. A sound that was similar to Sheryl's "If It Makes You Happy". I'd like to think that "'tis the damn season" satisfied my appetite for a song like this from Taylor.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  11. This is one of the best songs of Taylor's career and it didn't even go top 20? I'm embarrassed *marge*

12. Noooo! I rated this with a 10. *crying emoji*

aux likes this.
  13. aux

aux

The way this is easily one of the best songs on evermore and somehow "happiness" is still in the rate. I think we should have that conversation.

14. aux

aux

Thanks for noticing! Your score is in the spreadsheet, but missed it because the Excel spreadsheet is acting up and not highlighting all of the tens in each row like I set a rule for. I just added it to the post.

15. Happiness is a 10, while this is a 7, 8 push comes to shove.

AllGagaLike, Sail On and aux like this.
  16. R27

R27

Well there goes what was probably Taylor's best song in the rate.

aux likes this.
  17. I know we were due for a Taylor elimination but not that one. The gall and the gumption to open a song with "If I wanted to know who you were hanging with while I was gone, I would've asked you"...it seems just a bit iconic to me.

18. Since everyone wants to be assholes to Doja let me spoil Euphoria, Batman & Doctor Strange if you guys eliminate another track before Top 20

[​IMG]

19. The way she turns into Amy Winehouse for a single line, it makes the hair on my neck stand up!

sesita, aux and Denemarken like this.
  20. evermore boot order is so warped. While I can’t relate to the concept of returning to my hometown and letting one of the cretins who never got out of it inside me, ‘tis the damn season is a great song. It has compact novella/Meg Ryan movie from the 90s vibes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.