BIG POP GIRLS 2022 - THE END

He/Him
The AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM remix has been on constant rotation this week. I fucking love it.

It was the right time for it to go though.

Reactions: aux
I underscored "AMERICA" (the song not the country) a little bit. Of all the songs on the album, it's probably the one that has grown on me the most these past months.

aux

he/him
SUMMER RENAISSANCE
Summer Renaissance should leave next and we have the right Top 5.
I fear Summer Renaissance is next
Summer Renaissance
I think SUMMER RENAISSANCE will miss out on top 5.
Summer Renaissance is great and essential but I don't think its importance on the album should inflate it past songs on that same album that are, well, better. It should be the next cut.
And there it is.

SUMMER-RENAISSANCE.jpg

11 x 1

@Ana Raquel

HIGHEST SCORE: 10 x 40 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @man.tis.shrimp, @fatyoshi, @eatyourself, @dylanaber, @GimmeWork, @Jersey, @RetroPhysical, @Attis, @Blond, @Andy French, @Daniel_O, @Sprockrooster, @R27, @Ashling92, @daninternational, @Purple, @Maria, @aaronhansome, @Sail On, @Remorque, @Slice of Life, @BTG, @RainOnFire, @K94, @reputation., @Soygirl, @Stradiwhovius, @FINISH LINE, @Trinu 3.0, @Music Is Life & Death, @eliminathan, @papatrick, @BEST FICTION, @thommyh, @Petty Mayonnaise, @lovechoerrymotion, @Heartthrob, @Trouble in Paradise, @heavymetalgaga)
LOWEST SCORE: 6.5 x 1 (@Sanctuary)
MY SCORE: 8

Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" is one of the greatest songs ever made. It's a song that sounds like the future despite its age. It's no easy feat using this song appropriately, but once again, it's no surprise that Beyoncé capably does. "SUMMER RENAISSANCE" is the closing track on the album. In doing so, it summates the ethos of the album beautifully. It is a song that fuses the past - in this case, Donna Summer's classic - and rebirths it into this brand new song - the future. The term renaissance literally translates to rebirth. It's the entire purpose of the project is to expand and build on these classic songs - sometimes forgotten, other times celebrated forever - and take them into new places.

This is how an album should finish. It's a perfect emotional climax and a beautiful celebration of the ethos of the record. That glistening sample paired with updated production really adds a bouncier feeling that makes it feel like the perfect finale. During The RENAISSANCE World Tour, at least for my date, she kept mentioning that this album was about release. This is what stuck out to me the most with this song in particular. There is something incredibly freeing about this track - I'm not sure if I can pinpoint it - but man, it just feels like a breath of fresh air after being stuck in a bunker. Someone insert that GIF of Christina Aguilera coming out of the underground facility.

I adore how the song just keeps ramping up and building to this crescendo. The bridge is perfection. It's a masterful way of framing the feeling of euphoria at the club, in the dance floor, in a safe space for queer people. Again, I can't quite pinpoint it - but there's just a brilliant feeling of release when the "Applause, a round of applause" section starts. The song sounds like freedom, a liberation. This is a feeling I've associated with the dance floor too. There is something so beautiful about seeing a group of bodies just, lost in their own world, together, yet also, afar. This song nails that feeling.

The closest thing we've gotten to a music video this era has been this advert for Tiffany & Co. which uses the song. In fairness, it's beautiful and really uses the best parts of the song. However, it is not enough and I maintain that we need the damn visuals. Returning to the video, it sustains that same feeling of release and the beauty of the dance floor. This just goes to show that Beyoncé has one of the most intricate lenses to portray her music - even on a fucking advert, she still feels like an auteur at the top of her game.

Of all the songs to miss the top five, from the current list, this was the only song remaining from myself that did not have a ten out of ten score. I adore it, but the remaining songs are absolute classics in my books. I'll be intrigued to see how the rest of the participants feel about this missing out.

To close us off, I leave you with the wise words from @Ana Raquel, who gave this their 11, simply commenting: "Anything is better with an "I Feel Love" sample, and I don't make the rules."