BIG POP GIRLS 2022 - THE END

aux

he/him
WELCOME TO BPG2022

Before we commence, I must thank @BEST FICTION and @thommyh who have entered the majority of the scores into the spreadsheet, taking a lot of work away from my hands while I was busy dealing with university stuff. I appreciate that, despite getting access to my account, did not abuse it to get me cancelled.

A huge thanks to the 86 participants this year! If you do not see your name in the following list of participants, please let me know as soon as possible.​

-M-
aaronhansome
Aester
AllGagaLike
Ana Raquel
Andy French
Artemisia
Ashling92
Attis
aux
Babyface
BEST FICTION
beyoncesweave
Blond
boombazookajoe
BTG
BubblegumBoy
Conan
CorgiCorgiCorgi
Cutlery
Dangerous Maknae
Daniel_O
daninternational
Dijah.
DinahLee
Dreampopboy
Duppe
dylanaber
Dynamo
eatyourself
eliminathan
Ensnare
fatyoshi
FINISH LINE
Gabeee9292
GimmeWork
godspeed
happiestgirl
Heartthrob
heavymetalGAGA
Isobel
Jersey
Joe.
Jonathan27
K94
klow
Laurence
lovechoerrymotion
man.tis.shrimp
Maria
Mirwais Ahmadzai
Monkey Meat
Mr Blonde
Mushroom
Music Is Death
nikkysan
papatrick
Petty Mayonnaise
Phloo
Phonetics Girl
Purple
R27
RainOnFire
rdp
Remorque
Remyky22
reputation.
RetroPhysical
Robert
Sail On
Sanctuary
Scab
Serg.
Slice of Life
SlowGinFizzzz
Solenciennes
soratami
Soygirl
Sprockrooster
Stradiwhovius
TéléDex
thommyh
Trinu 3.0
Trouble In Paradise
unnameable
Verandi

Let's begin the show, shall we?

The first elimination is coming right up...​

Last edited:

aux

he/him

600x600bb.jpg

HIGHEST SCORE: 9 x 1 (@Dangerous Maknae, @TéléDex ...girl)
LOWEST SCORE: 0 x 32 (@aux, @CorgiCorgiCorgi, @man.tis.shrimp, @Remyky22, @Serg., @BubblegumBoy, @-M-, @RetroPhysical, @Attis, @Mr Blonde, @Andy French, @Sprockrooster, @Aester, @soratami, @Babyface, @BTG, @RainOnFire, @nikkysan, @Soygirl, @Laurence, @Stradiwhovius, @FINISH LINE, @Artemisia, @Trinu 3.0, @Music Is Death, @Monkey Meat, @eliminathan, @Verandi, @Petty Mayonnaise, @lovechoerrymotion, @Heartthrob, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï)
MY SCORE: 0

"Unholy" is quite possibly the most obvious first out in a BPG rate since Taylor Swift's "ME!". It's an abysmal song that somehow became one of 2022's biggest hits.

Sam Smith's career has not made any sense to me after 2018. After their middling second album, their career began heading in a promising direction with songs like "Dancing With A Stranger", "How Do You Sleep?" and "Diamonds" leading to what seemed to be a great pop album that steered away from the Adele-like faceless ballads of the previous records. It was then after that the record got delayed, and its entire image changed to something more... palatable for the soccer mums. I expected that to be the end of Sam's career into making that type of pop music, and would simply stay in their ballad chanteuse era for the rest of their career.

In late 2022, TikTok was smacked in the face by a snippet of this song as the first taste of Sam's newest album. I think the first time I heard it, I just went "...okay" at the video, since it had both Sam and Kim looking incredibly uncomfortable trying to 'vibe' to the song. Sadly, the snippet of the chorus had the ladies over in TikTok gooped, and resulted in the song going omega viral before its release.

I just hate that this had to be the first number one that features a non-binary artist and a trans woman. "Unholy" doesn't just reeks, it stinks. I don't find that either Sam nor Kim sound... comfortable in this sound. Kim Petras' verse is minging and the least said about her, the better. She does absolutely nothing in this song. Sam Smith had a very clear, interesting lane as a pop star that could have been explored in the previous record, but it was somehow ditched for being too far off their main market... Only for this to be their next single? It's just baffling.

The production feels like a cheap recreation of what straight people think hyperpop is - it lacks all the flexibility and softness that makes hyperpop be such an interesting genre. It's what makes songs like Charli XCX's "Vroom Vroom" become classics, it's that range and the utter character to be able to sell the hard-hitting parts just as much as the glistening moments. "Unholy" has none of that. The entire song is just an embarrassment for everyone involved.

It appears I do not feel alone in this, as you ladies have a LOT to say about this song, so I will leave you the commentary for this song.

@CorgiCorgiCorgi expresses their love and disappointment for Sam Smith, stating "I love Sam Smith. Love Goes was such a lovely little dance album. Why does their biggest hit in years have to sound like… this? I have to go listen to "Diamonds" as a palate cleanser."

Similarly, @Attis drags Sam for switching gears after the great singles of the last era, writing "The way their career has been reduced into doing corny Todrick Hall shit. God it’s embarrassing, especially with how good "How Do You Sleep" is." No, because it's actually criminal how brilliant "How Do You Sleep" was, music video included, only for all of that to be worth nothing.

I have no idea what @Sprockrooster is trying to say, but they did drag the song, so here's their commentary! "Not this racket of a song with a non-female main artist making it to the BPG after wishing, praying and hoping Lil Nas X made it last year. I guess this is one way to secure no more non-females in this rate for the rest of the decade."

@Stradiwhovius calls this "a hate crime" and I have to agree. Similarly, @eliminathan writes "the name checks out!". And to close us off, @lovechoerrymotion also drags the name of the song, commenting "This aptly named song should never have been released and I’m all for songs about sin or whatever but the real sin is how it’s a parasite on the world that I desperately wish to never hear again."

Here's an abysmal performance with the most blood curling scream coming in at the end of the show.

Last edited:
Hm, there's definitely worse in my opinion. I think the chorus is interesting but the song truly goes nowhere overall. It's sad how we had to settle for this as a "win" for the non-binary and trans artists though.

Sam really deserved the #1 smash hit with Promises, Fire on Fire, How Do You Sleep?, Dancing With A Stranger, and Diamonds instead.

Unholy (2022)

It's just utterly naff and laboured - it's not the big, fun pop song it thinks it is. Also will Sam ever leave their higher register? Any departure from the ballad sound never feels like one, because they sing everything the exact same way with the same five notes; regardless of subject matter.

Last edited:
I had managed to avoid hearing Unholy until this rate. It wasn’t quite as bad as I was expecting but sadly not good either.

The chorus sounded really familiar though. I don’t know if I’ve heard it in other videos from tik tok or if it just reminds me of something else. I do get (a poor imitation of) Lil Nas X vibes from it.