BIG POP GIRLS 2022 - THE END

aux

he/him
Okay, formatting stuff feels very different on the new forum, so bear with me if things look off at first nn.

600x600bb.jpg

HIGHEST SCORER:
10 x 5 (@Andy French, @Phloo, @Purple, @Maria, @Petty Mayonnaise)
LOWEST SCORER: 4 x 2 (@Solenciennes, @Conan)
MY SCORE: 7

I recently watched Elvis. If it's not obvious, the film trails the life of Elvis Presley. It showcases why he became the star he was, lightly touching on the controversies and problematic parts of his career, seen through the lens of film auteur Baz Luhrmann. I definitely thought it was fun, I liked the beat. I guess this is where I out myself as someone who doesn't fawn over Luhrmann like other cinephiles do. I tend to find his films to be a bit too overindulgent in style. One of his biggest auteur traits is his need to showcase the past through a modern lens. One of his most famous films, Romeo + Juliet, is essentially a retelling of the classic but in the 90s.

Despite my ambivalence towards Luhrmann, I think this clash of the past and the present always presents an interesting relationship. I couldn't think of anyone more perfect to rise to the task of fusing both the past and the present than Doja Cat. The track "Vegas" was written for the film. It samples a song titled "Hound Dog", which was first performed by Big Mama Thornton. The track samples the version sung by the person playing her in the film. The song makes perfect sense to be sampled by Doja for this, as Presley covered the song at one point in his career. Doja's sample returns the song to a black woman, while still connecting it to the film its part of.

The mesh of this sample, is then propelled by a beat which sounds straight out of any other Doja Cat song. It's hot. To no one's surprise, Doja plays with every last bit of this production. Her voice bounces from every beat in tune. She feels at home. For something that could've easily been thrown together, this feels like Doja wanted to genuinely sell the shit out of this song - and she did! Admittedly, I didn't really listen to it much after it came out, but I do really appreciate what it's doing and can't deny it smacks. It does what you want out of any soundtrack song: slap and actually relate to the film.

aux

he/him
THE EXTRAS

#57 - Doja Cat - Vegas - 7.3052
#72 - Halsey - So Good - 6.8052
#78 - Taylor Swift - Carolina - 6.4302
#83 - Britney Spears & Elton John - Hold Me Closer - 5.8198
#84 - David Guetta & Bebe Rexha - I’m Good (Blue) - 5.5581
#85 - Lady Gaga - Hold My Hand - 5.093
#87 - Rihanna - Born Again - 4.0756
#88 - Rihanna - Lift Me Up - 4.0523
#89 - Nicki Minaj - Super Freaky Girl - 3.3837
#90 - Sam Smith & Kim Petras - Unholy - 2.1105​

Okay, formatting stuff feels very different on the new forum, so bear with me if things look off at first nn.

600x600bb.jpg

HIGHEST SCORER:
10 x 5 (@Andy French, @Phloo, @Purple, @Maria, @Petty Mayonnaise)
LOWEST SCORER: 4 x 2 (@Solenciennes, @Conan)
MY SCORE: 7

I recently watched Elvis. If it's not obvious, the film trails the life of Elvis Presley. It showcases why he became the star he was, lightly touching on the controversies and problematic parts of his career, seen through the lens of film auteur Baz Luhrmann. I definitely thought it was fun, I liked the beat. I guess this is where I out myself as someone who doesn't fawn over Luhrmann like other cinephiles do. I tend to find his films to be a bit too overindulgent in style. One of his biggest auteur traits is his need to showcase the past through a modern lens. One of his most famous films, Romeo + Juliet, is essentially a retelling of the classic but in the 90s.

Despite my ambivalence towards Luhrmann, I think this clash of the past and the present always presents an interesting relationship. I couldn't think of anyone more perfect to rise to the task of fusing both the past and the present than Doja Cat. The track "Vegas" was written for the film. It samples a song titled "Hound Dog", which was first performed by Big Mama Thornton. The track samples the version sung by the person playing her in the film. The song makes perfect sense to be sampled by Doja for this, as Presley covered the song at one point in his career. Doja's sample returns the song to a black woman, while still connecting it to the film its part of.

The mesh of this sample, is then propelled by a beat which sounds straight out of any other Doja Cat song. It's hot. To no one's surprise, Doja plays with every last bit of this production. Her voice bounces from every beat in tune. She feels at home. For something that could've easily been thrown together, this feels like Doja wanted to genuinely sell the shit out of this song - and she did! Admittedly, I didn't really listen to it much after it came out, but I do really appreciate what it's doing and can't deny it smacks. It does what you want out of any soundtrack song: slap and actually relate to the film.

Honestly could have stayed longer, your write up nails what I love about it! I need Doja to keep exploring like this!

"AISLAMIENTO" is rather pretty, especially the outro, but I think it's the weakest out of the "Motomami" ballads so its elimination isn't bothering me that much. "DESPECHÁ" is the correct deluxe edition tracks winner of course.

"SAOKO" should really leave soon out of the Rosalia's songs.

Reactions: aux

Solenciennes

Staff member
That 4 I gave Vegas looks a bit mean when I'm one of the two lowest scorers but I think it meets the mark, which quite often doesn't happen for soundtrack songs let's be honest, but I knocked off a point from an average 5 because I don't think it improves on the song it references. If I could do over I'd maybe give it a 6 instead for creativity.

aux

he/him

600x600bf-60.jpg

HIGHEST SCORE:
11 x 1 (@Dynamo) | 10 x 15 (@CorgiCorgiCorgi, @Dangerous Maknae, @BubblegumBoy, @-M-, @Jersey, @Attis, @Sprockrooster, @soratami, @Remorque, @TéléDex, @reputation., @Laurence, @Gabeee9292, @Music Is Death, @heavymetalGAGA)
LOWEST SCORE: 1 x 1 (@Verandi)
MY SCORE: 9

How this went out before "2 Be Loved (Am I Ready)" is beyond me.

"About Damn Time" was Lizzo's lead single for Special. It's an obvious song made to be a single. It's got all the nooks and crannies you expect from a lead. It has a catchy ass chorus. It has a TikTok-ready second verse. It's radio catnip. The list goes on. I don't blame Lizzo and her label for doing such a switch after "Rumors" underperformed and flopped. The song was the last song written for the album and it screams to be part of the course correcting that happened after "Rumors".

I think, for me, the biggest issue I have with this song is that, amongst the other Lizzo songs, what has come before, it feels beneath her. She's done better. It's also wild to me that, for this album, she worked with Mark Ronson, and that somehow didn't make the light of day? As far as I know it hasn't and it's just crazy. Specially when the album came out the way it did. I mean, I listened to it once and apparently there's a song on this called "Everybody's Gay" and "I Love You Bitch".

In recent years, Lizzo's music has been essentially turned into commercial (both in the, GP-loving sense and the advert-made music) bops. I don't think that's necessarily bad. I mean, the forum was collectively going mental over Ava Max's latest album which is essentially faceless commercial (in both senses) music. For me, what really makes Lizzo shine is her personality and I'm not surprised to see that her "self-help" music (as some have called it) mirrors her star persona online. It worked for both this song and the other single.

I know people are probably sick of it, but the second verse is fantastic. It's just incredibly catchy and in my opinion, sells the song more than the chorus. It's just sleek with a hint of corniness that works. I think that's my favourite part of the song. I've heard it tons on TikTok, not anymore, but it was a staple for a while. It's one of those hits that really felt like a hit, and I feel that part is sort of undeniable, regardless of our thoughts on the song.

I'll leave us with @Dynamo, our sole eleven giver, who comments: "What a smasha! There were so many contenders for my 11 but I knew I had to pick this one! Genuinely one of my faves from this year. Pretty much every single section here is instantly memorable and worth singing your lungs out to! BITCH!"