BIG POP GIRLS 2023

aux

he/him
temp-Image6s-IHt-D.jpg

2023 sees a returning BPG, three new inductees to the canon and a soundtrack full of pop girls which played over one of the most successful films of the year. It sees a new set of rising stars in The Highlights section, housing some of the biggest hits of the year and standalone releases from previous BPGs. This is a crazy line-up and I think the results will be even more unhinged.

Let's have a run-through the ballot, shall we?

OLIVIA RODRIGO - GUTS

600x600bb.jpg

Olivia Rodrigo returns to the rate with her sophomore effort. In GUTS, Olivia ditched most of the ballads and doubled down on the rock elements of the debut. The album sees her tackle everything from shoegaze to punk-rock. If anything, this album steers her away from the previous comparisons and closer to the new Avril Lavigne. Will PopJustice relate to the lower case tracks?

all-american bitch
bad idea right?
vampire
lacy
ballad of a homeschooled girl
making the bed
logical
get him back
love is embarassing
the grudge
pretty isn't pretty
teenage dream
obsessed (*)
scared of my guitar (*)
stranger (*)
girl i've always been (*)

SZA - SOS

600x600bb.jpg

SZA enters the playing field with SOS. Since its release, the album has had a chokehold on the charts worldwide. In SOS, SZA switched from the focused approach of Ctrl and throws everything at the wall, swimming through different genres and soundscapes. Despite this, SZA retains her confessional songwriting which permeated through her debut album. Will voters fall in love with SZA like the GP?

SOS
Kill Bill
Seek & Destroy
Low
Love Language
Blind
Used (feat. Don Toliver)
Snooze
Notice Me
Gone Girl
Smoking On My Ex Pack
Ghost in the Machine (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
F2F
Nobody Gets Me
Conceited
Special
Too Late
Far
Shirt
Open Arms (feat. Travis Scott)
I Hate U
Good Days
Forgiveless (feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard)

MILEY CYRUS - ENDLESS SUMMER VACATION

600x600bb.jpg

Miley Cyrus joins the BPG canon after several attempts. She brought the biggest hit of the year with "Flowers", a truly inescapable hit, which is difficult to get, not everybody has that to their credit. Endless Summer Vacation sees her change her image once again, this is her true self, according to her. Will listeners connect with this version of Miley?

Flowers
Jaded
Rose Colored Lenses
Used To Be Young
Thousand Miles (feat. Brandi Carlile)
You
Handstand
River
Violet Chemistry
Muddy Feet (feat. Sia)
Wildcard
Island
Wonder Woman

KYLIE MINOGUE - TENSION

600x600bb.jpg

Kylie Minogue forages into the rate for the first time after being the mother behind several of these girls. Tension sees Kylie ditch the previous restraining themes of Disco and Golden and instead, simply focus on making a good album without a cohesive theme behind it. The result is, well, her best album in a bit. It houses "Padam Padam", whose successful chart run was undoubtedly one of the biggest moments of the year in pop. It was successful enough to make the Kylie fans finally realise that streaming didn't ruin the charts! Will voters love the album?

Padam Padam
Hold On To Now
Things We Do For Love
Tension
One More Time
You Still Get Me High
Hands
Green Light
Vegas High
10 Out Of 10 (with Oliver Heldens)
Story
Love Train
Just Imagine
Somebody To Love
Heavenly Body (*)
Drum (*)

VARIOUS ARTISTS - BARBIE THE ALBUM

600x600bb.jpg

The final album is Barbie The Album, the soundtrack for the namesake film, curated by Mark Ronson. The film was the highest grossing film of 2023 and most of its music comes from this soundtrack. The music itself also held it out at the charts, featuring previous BPG winners Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish battling it out for #1 singles in the UK charts. The album also features several previous and new BPGs, such as Charli XCX, PinkPantheress, Ice Spice and Nicki Minaj. A blockbuster soundtrack for a blockbuster film. Will PopJustice warm to the plastic sounds of the film?

Lizzo - Pink
Dua Lipa - Dance The Night
Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice - Barbie World (with Aqua)
Charli XCX - Speed Drive
KAROL G - WATATI (feat. Aldo Ranks)
HAIM - Home
Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?
PinkPantheress - Angel
Gayle - butterflies
Ava Max - Choose Your Fighters
FIFTY FIFTY - Barbie Dreams (feat. Kaliiii)
Brandi Carlile & Catherine Carlile - Closer To Fine

THE HIGHLIGHTS

In this section, we see the arrival of rising BPGs such as NewJeans and RAYE, both artists who've had landmark years and will only go up from here. It also sees the appearance of tracks from other films, with Olivia Rodrigo with her "Safe & Sound" and Beyoncé with "MY HOUSE". The mega hits "Miracle" and "Boys a liar, Pt. 2" also find themselves in this section, alongside flop "Bongos" by BPGs Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion. I have changed a minor thing with this section as you'll see. While I've ignored Taylor's vault tracks in the past, she's had her most successful year thus far and I fear it would be a crime to not include her in some capacity. I will not include all of them as that would be too much, even for a Swiftie, hence I found a compromise: including the tracks that entered the top five in the Hot 100. Will all these tracks land in the bottom like the extras last year or will they make it further?

RAYE & 070 Shake - Escapism.
RAYE - Black Mascara.
Oliva Rodrigo - Can’t Catch Me Now
Beyonce - MY HOUSE
PinkPantheress & Ice Spice - Boys a liar, Pt. 2
Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding - Miracle
NewJeans - Super Shy
NewJeans - Ditto
NewJeans - OMG
Taylor Swift - I Can See You (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Say Don’t Go (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Now That We Don’t Talk (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Is It Over Now? (From The Vault)
Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion - Bongos
Bizarrap & Shakira - Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53

RULES

- Give a score of 1-10 to every song in the list. Decimals (0.25, 0.5, 0.75) are allowed, nothing else. If you send me a ballot with any other decimals than these, I will tell you to round them off yourself.
- You are allowed one 0 and one 11 in the entire rate. The 0 should go to your most disliked song, and the 11 to your absolute favourite track. You don’t have to use your 0 or your 11 if you wish to do so.
- Commentary is only allowed for your zero and eleven. If you send me commentary for any other songs, I will not be including it.
- Please, for the love of Lorde, send me your ballots using the PM format below. I do not want to see spreadsheets, Google Docs, etc. If I receive one of these, you will be prosecuted.
- Don't be a fucking troll.
- If a song has an asterisk next to it, it means that it's released in some form already, but not on streaming. They're not part of the ballot officially yet, but if they appear on streaming before the voting closes, I'll include them.

PLAYLISTS

all-american bitch
bad idea right?
vampire
lacy
ballad of a homeschooled girl
making the bed
logical
get him back
love is embarassing
the grudge
pretty isn't pretty
teenage dream

SOS
Kill Bill
Seek & Destroy
Low
Love Language
Blind
Used (feat. Don Toliver)
Snooze
Notice Me
Gone Girl
Smoking On My Ex Pack
Ghost in the Machine (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
F2F
Nobody Gets Me
Conceited
Special
Too Late
Far
Shirt
Open Arms (feat. Travis Scott)
I Hate U
Good Days
Forgiveless (feat. Ol' Dirty Bastard)

Flowers
Jaded
Rose Colored Lenses
Used To Be Young
Thousand Miles (feat. Brandi Carlile)
You
Handstand
River
Violet Chemistry
Muddy Feet (feat. Sia)
Wildcard
Island
Wonder Woman

Padam Padam
Hold On To Now
Things We Do For Love
Tension
One More Time
You Still Get Me High
Hands
Green Light
Vegas High
10 Out Of 10 (with Oliver Heldens)
Story
Love Train
Just Imagine
Somebody To Love

Lizzo - Pink
Dua Lipa - Dance The Night
Nicki Minaj & Ice Spice - Barbie World (with Aqua)
Charli XCX - Speed Drive
KAROL G - WATATI (feat. Aldo Ranks)
HAIM - Home
Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?
PinkPantheress - Angel
Gayle - butterflies
Ava Max - Choose Your Fighters
FIFTY FIFTY - Barbie Dreams (feat. Kaliiii)
Brandi Carlile & Catherine Carlile - Closer To Fine

RAYE & 070 Shake - Escapism.
RAYE - Black Mascara.
Oliva Rodrigo - Can’t Catch Me Now
Beyonce - MY HOUSE
PinkPantheress & Ice Spice - Boys a liar, Pt. 2
Calvin Harris & Ellie Goulding - Miracle
NewJeans - Super Shy
NewJeans - Ditto
NewJeans - OMG
Taylor Swift - I Can See You (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Say Don’t Go (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Now That We Don’t Talk (From The Vault)
Taylor Swift - Is It Over Now? (From The Vault)
Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion - Bongos
Bizarrap & Shakira - Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53

DEADLINE: 15th OF JANUARY, 2024 at 5PM GMT

Last edited:

aux

he/him
By the way, I'll mention this again since no one reads the rules. In the main section of the list of songs, some of the songs listed have an asterisk next to them. These are songs that have been officially released in some way (vinyl exclusive tracks or digital store exclusives) but aren't on streaming yet. They're not part of the rate because they're a pain in the ass to find online, specially the Olivia ones, but I'm hopeful that they will end up on streaming before the voting period ends. If they do, they'll be added onto the rate but for now, don't worry about them.