BIG POP GIRLS 2023

aux

he/him

charli-xcx-speed-drive-Cover-Art.jpg

HIGHEST

10 x 12 (@Dātura, @soratami, @daninternational, @Jersey, @Ana Raquel, @Purple, @unnameable, @Serg., @Remorque, @TéléDex, @Laurence, @Ashling92)

LOWEST
0 x 2 (@-M-, @eliminathan)

MY SCORE

"Speed Drive" finally departs the rate, leaving the Barbie soundtrack with only four songs left in the rate.

Robyn made it onto a Big Pop Girls rate... My work here is done. Well, sorta kinda. Robyn's "Cobrastyle" is the main interpolation in the production for this track. It gives the track the frenetic energy that it needs for the scene it plays in the movie. On the Barbie movie, it plays over a car chase scene - it's essentially a car commercial, filmed by a literal director who used to do car commercials, but we'll gloss over that.

I will say, despite my grievances with the movie... It was a huge success and I do get somewhat happy that the beat for Robyn's "Cobrastyle" played over many multiplexes across the globe for millions of people to hear. It didn't do shit for her profile, but I hope it gave her some cash for her next album #R9IsComing.

The track also samples Toni Basil's iconic track "Mickey" for the melody of the chorus. I think it's really funny how lyrically the track is exactly what you'd expect from Charli making a song for this soundtrack. It just works. It's as absurd as a movie about Barbie should be. It matches the energy of the movie very well and I cannot fault it for that.

If anything, I think my biggest issue with this track is that it's wayyyyyy too short. It doesn't even reach the two minute mark which is insane to think about.

I gave this a 5.5. I was tempted to give it a bit higher, because it's a fine enough song, but this is Charli on her most autopilot. If someone had asked ChatGPT to write a Charli XCX song for a Barbie movie I'm convinced you would get the exact lyrics to "Speed Drive." The only shocking thing about this song is that it's the first time Charli has sampled "Mickey."

Robyn made it onto a Big Pop Girls rate... My work here is done. Well, sorta kinda. Robyn's "Cobrastyle" is the main interpolation in the production for this track.​

Does it count as an interpolation of Robyn's cover specifically, or does the original not get the credit?

Speed Drive is the best song on the Barbie soundtrack, so more than a bit robbed here.

aux

he/him
Does it count as an interpolation of Robyn's cover specifically, or does the original not get the credit?
The original producers / writers also got credits on "Speed Drive" from what I can see online.
The way its actually 3 I think; Billie, Dua and PinkPantheress
Fff, yes, my bad.

I don't think I'll be able to write an elimination tonight as I'm off to hopefully see Sky Ferreira live tonight. We'll be back on tomorrow morning with a double elimination to keep us at this pace. Tomorrow... In total, fifteen tens depart alongside three elevens.

npjcLTZ.gif

aux

he/him

Story.jpg

HIGHEST
10 x 7 (@BEST FICTION, @Dātura, @boom bazooka joe, @GimmeWork, @maverick_79, @Trinu 3.0, @Trouble in Paradise)

LOWEST
3.5 x 1 (@Beautiful Child 2)

MY SCORE

"Story" is my favourite album track on Tension. I find that Kylie is excellent at making music that is incredibly affective. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but even on her icy synth albums like Fever, I find myself being oddly moved by tracks like "Fragile". Her signature 'emotopop' just get me. Maybe it's because I'm a Robyn fan that I'm immediately drawn to these types of tracks - pop songs that are a little to the left and are lyrically driven in emotions. I think, what really lets the track down a bit, is that the production could be a biT more interesting and less by the numbers the entire time, but the track is still very solid and has some great moments. She sounds great here too! I think the vocal production on here is really solid - she doesn't sound as nasally as she has in previous recordings of the latter part of her career. There's also some weird moments with her lower register that really work for me. I think this is a great closing track to Tension and I'm glad it's the one that closes it all off on the vinyl pressing.