BIG POP GIRLS 2023

At this point, I don't really care about anything left in this top 40 except these:
vampire

Kill Bill
Seek & Destroy
Low

Handstand
River

Padam Padam

Billie Eilish - What Was I Made For?

RAYE & 070 Shake - Escapism.
RAYE - Black Mascara.
Bizarrap & Shakira - Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53

"MY HOUSE" really needs to go. That one and "Things We Do for Love" are my only remaining sub-7 scores left.
Edit: Wait I forgot about most of Olivia's songs being among my lowest (sub-7) scores too ff

Last edited:

aux

he/him

Too-Late.jpg

HIGHEST

10 x 4 (@Slice of Life, @eliminathan, @Stradiwhovius, @Trouble in Paradise)

LOWEST
4 x 1 (@Laurence)

MY SCORE

And we cut into the Top 40 with our first elimination.

"Too Late" is one that instantly clicked with me when I first played SOS. I'm a sucker for the production here. It reminds me a bit of "Good Days", with its beautiful atmospheric intro that's mostly led by a guitar, but it's a bit boppier and groovier here. I adore the lil' droning alien sound that's sprinkled in at the start. The real shining star of the production for me is the beat which just carries the whole thing and gives it a really groovy vibe. I don't know but the first time I heard this I was like "YUHHHH GET INTO ITTTT".

Lyrically, the track is about SZA pondering if it's too late to rekindle an old flame. I really like how SZA places blame on both people - I've been thinking about this a lot ever since hearing Maggie Rogers' "The Kill" - another track which talks about the mutual culpability that ensues during a breakup. I think it's something we rarely hear in music, it's often straightforward about blaming someone else or oneself but rarely taking an angle about both being responsible.

Genuinely, my only gripe with this song is simply that it just... ends. I feel like it doesn't make much sense to end it when it does because I feel like the track still hasn't run its course. It's also a bit of a jumpscare how it ends because it cuts straight into the intro of "Far" with the voice note and it completely takes me out.

Genuinely, my only gripe with this song is simply that it just... ends. I feel like it doesn't make much sense to end it when it does because I feel like the track still hasn't run its course. It's also a bit of a jumpscare how it ends because it cuts straight into the intro of "Far" with the voice note and it completely takes me out.
I kind of like this! Abruptly ending after a final "Is it too late for us?" feels to me like it's the song bluntly saying yes.