BIG POP GIRLS 2023

This is... the weirdest take that you could have. And you're wondering why people defend the artist and respond to your hot takes. You don't care about the lyrics? Fine. I've been a K-Pop fan, so I get it.
But don't act like lyrics haven't always been an important part of music and people who actually care are being obnoxious. Or that an artist should've not been a singer because her music doesn't appeal to you. Just say I don't vibe with Taylor Swift and trust me, nobody will come for you.
Yeah sorry, it was a bit flippant to just say 'obnoxious' and don't explain what it's referring to. I absoutely do not mind whether someone cares about lyrics or not, but what annoys me is that some users consider themselves superior to the others and always pull that card when exchanging arguments (including the recent ones in this thread). It basically shows no respect to those who don't really care about the lyrics and appreciate other aspects of music, simple as that.

But since I see we started throwing 'contrarian complex', 'talking to a wall', 'gaslighting' and other buzzwords, all from the users who circle around the actual topic and address irrelevant things, there really is no point in discussing anymore so I'm just going to leave it there.

Now eliminate two Olivia or SZA songs pls x

You should go see what's happening in the SOTY rate in the Kpop subforum right now

insta.thumb.gif.1b56441810a14bfe09afe93cf2324d53.gif
Naurrr don’t send them there we like to embarrass ourselves privately thank you very much!

she/her
Any Miley song but Handstand and River can vacate.

I mean, says the one with a contrarian complex who constantly relies on vacuous descriptors like 'bland' to describe music I guess you don't have the scope of reference to describe with tangible criticisms.

I didn't know one needed to do a pitchfork-esque review to call something bland. Finding something unremarkable doesn't necessarily come from an objective point of view and not everyone rate entries based on objective factors, anyway.

I didn't know one needed to do a pitchfork-esque review to call something bland. Finding something unremarkable doesn't necessarily come from an objective point of view and not everyone rate entries based on objective factors, anyway.

I never implied one had to jump to the other end of the spectrum so that feels disingenuous. The point of a discussion board is to...discuss. Whether I agree with the person or not is irrelevant to my point, but it's incredibly frustrating to have someone constantly positing things and then never contributing anything to the conversation. Hence my second comment, if you aren't here to actually discuss and exchange thoughts with other people then you're better off with a Wordpress account.

she/her
I never implied one had to jump to the other end of the spectrum so that feels disingenuous. The point of a discussion board is to...discuss. Whether I agree with the person or not is irrelevant to my point, but it's incredibly frustrating to have someone constantly positing things and then never contributing anything to the conversation. Hence my second comment, if you aren't here to actually discuss and exchange thoughts with other people then you're better off with a Wordpress account.
I don't disagree with you on that, though! But not every discussion has to be done through objective lens. I don't see the problem of saying that a song is bland (even if several times) if that's what they feel about it.

And let's be honest, it's quite hard to comment on production, composition, lyrics, vocals, and other technical elements if you can't even remember the song in the first place.

And sometimes it is not even a bad thing. For example, nearly all my scores for Tension were 7+ but if you ask me how each song goes, I won't be able to describe half of the album. It is still a pleasant ride for me but I think it is full of nice fillers. The hits are hits, though. It happens.

And let's be honest, it's quite hard to comment on production, composition, lyrics, vocals, and other technical elements if you can't even remember the song in the first place.
Exactly. If a song doesn't inspire me to write much in the first place, I... just won't write much about it.

On that note:

Gone Girl - 7.75
~ Okay, this could've been an 8. I like the retro vibe here, and prefer the verses to the chorus, which can get a bit repetitive.

I Can See You - 8.5
~ This is great, one of the best Taylor songs I've heard, surprising how it remained an outtake. The chorus is catchy, the guitar riff is strong and overall a fun tune. It's closer to a 9 for me now. Though I'm a bit confused to see a few 'the only song of its type' comments when it comes to Taylor's discography. For some reason I thought her early albums were pop-rock influenced?

OMG - 8.25
~ This would rank right in the middle of the NewJeans songs for me. Nothing overly impressive but it's a very cute lil bop, the pre-chorus/chorus is my fave part. Honestly didn't expect NewJeans to last so long without losing a song, good for them.

aux

he/him
I haven't forgotten about this, don't worry! I've just been extremely busy with something personal and I just haven't had the time to do a proper elimination. It's just one person behind this and it does mean that when one thing goes awry, it all halts. We'll be back on tomorrow with the double elimination promised originally. Thanks for being understanding ❤

aux

he/him

Handstand.jpg

HIGHEST

10 x 5 (@Sprockrooster, @eliminathan, @Mirwais Ahmadzaï, @Laurence, @happiestgirl)

LOWEST
2 x 1 (@daninternational)

MY SCORE

Indeed, it is Miley Cyrus who is losing two songs today.

"Handstand" is one of Miley's most interesting tracks on this record. The production on here is such a turn from the expected sound I had for this album. I'll get jumped for this comparison, but there's something so American Life about the glitching synths that crash against the beeps and boops in the post chorus. It's one of my favourite Madonna albums for a reason, so naturally, I stan this. I love that it goes from this sultry, smooth sensual track that's almost ethereal in the way it carries itself to then smack you in the face with the post chorus. I live for this. I love it when Miley goes a bit off-kilter which is why I really don't enjoy songs like "Flowers" or more 'obvious' Miley songs.

Another thing I love here is how Miley isn't screaming for her life. It doesn't need to happen on every song! I love that it is subdued and uses her voice differently. Her delivery reminds me of "Lighter" which is one of my favourite Miley songs ever.

The biggest and probably only major grievance I have with this song is the spoken word intro which feels a bit... unnecessary and I wish the song used that time with another verse.

She's never performed this song live. Instead, I leave you with our first entry of the extras section next year for BPG24.

He/Him/His
edit: One of the Kylie songs already left so hopefully it's SZA or Olivia and not Mildred xx
You little shits!!!!!

Handstand is great. Our host is exhibiting excellent taste by highlighting its Mirwaisian bleep bloops and naming Lighter as a Miley essential.

Also, let us recognize this song was co-written by indie film auteur Harmony Korine (Kids, Gummo, Spring Breakers). A serve in itself.