BIG POP GIRLS 2023

aux

he/him

600x600bb.jpg

HIGHEST

10 x 5 (@Jersey, @fatyoshi, @Blond, @Ashling92, @happiestgirl)

LOWEST
3 x 1 (@Laurence)

MY SCORE

"I Hate U" was the second single from SOS. This was originally released on SoundCloud alongside "Joni" and "Nightbird". "I Hate U" went viral on TikTok before it went on streaming services. Once it was ganging traction, it was released a standalone single without the other two songs. It then peaked at number seven on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also broke the record for the most streamed female R&B song on Apple Music in its first week.

This song is so incredibly groovy. I loooooooove the production on here and it's really what makes the track be special for me. In all honesty, I barely understood what SZA was saying for my first couple of listens when this dropped back in 2021. I think this is my biggest grievance with it because I genuinely love SZA's lyricism.

This track was released without any expectations. It was just quietly dropped on SoundCloud and later picked up traction by itself. It was released with no intention of becoming the hit it was. This freedom is what underpins a lot of SOS's approach. The record dabbles on so many inspirations and doesn't seem to be bothered by trying to recreate the magic of Ctrl.

I thought I Hate U would do better given it's one of the biggest songs on the album. It going now seems correct though, it's alright but not really a highlight, honestly the hook is kinda the wrong type of catchy, it definitely gets stuck in your head but it's just a bit grating.

Last edited: