Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever | Page 84 | The Popjustice Forum

Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Tiger Suit, Jul 25, 2020.

1. I can't stop listening to this masterpiece.

2. Whoever it was who said I Didn’t Change My Number has big Frank album energy was spot on.

The subtle conversational snark of the lyrics, the vocalisms, even the beat sounds like something that would fit in on that album.

sesita, Subspace88, Wishlight and 7 others like this.
  3. It even sounds like Swim Good!

Ethan Rams and Vasilios like this.
  4. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

You better lock your door
    And look at me a little more
    We both know I'm worth waiting for
    Heavy breathing on the floor
    I'm yours, I'm yours

[​IMG]

My loins weren't prepared for "Billie Bossa Nova".

5. I thought this too.

Ethan Rams and Push like this.
  6. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm so glad she waited till the album release to unleash the title track on us. Obviously it would've made a major splash if she had released it earlier, but the payoff is so much more rewarding in the context of the album. It's not just an explosion from the previous 3 minutes of the song, it's 14-tracks worth of simmering rage finally spilling over. It's just masterful at what it manages to accomplish.

7. I think they mean Frank, the Amy Winehouse album.

sesita, myblood, Tracy Jacks and 6 others like this.
  8. (I saw the post earlier and thought they meant Frank the Xenomania girlband dd)

9. This is no way meant to pit them against eachother (both are great in their own way), and I still don’t think either is even close to matching the genius of Tidal/When The Pawn, but if anyone in contemporary pop music has any chance of ever being legitimately mentioned in the same sentence as Fiona Apple, it’s definitely Billie and not Olivia - Happier Than Ever has that ever-elusive uncompromising artistic vision in *spades*.

10. I just know that Oxytocin is going to go OFF live.

11. kal

kal

Agree to disagree. Her apathetic delivery perfectly encompasses my mood towards the world these days.

12. Then why even bring her up when nobody else did?

Slice of Life, tea, dvno and 12 others like this.
  13. I’m referring to a discussion from some months ago in the Olivia thread comparing her to Fiona that only I and the forum search function seem to remember. Leave me alone lol

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  14. ‘Getting Older’ has hit me right in the gut.

bess marvin likes this.
  15. As someone who still runs hold and cold with Billie as a vocalist, when the songs are right they are truly stunning; Your Power is song of the year material and seemed to be released to crickets, and now Male Fantasy is a further revelation. Her voice has never sounded better on record that I’m aware of? I can’t get enough. Everybody Dies lyrically and in its overall construction as a song is a further grace note moment on the album for me and another 2021 favourite. It cut right through.

Happier Than Ever is the other more obvious opening up as an artist moment and what a moment it is; a cathartic release of a song I didn’t know Billie was interested in making as she always seems to swerve obvious snap points in her top lines for introspection and relying on her low volume deepness in her voice to convey a lot of simmering emotion (which leads me to dissociate and distance myself if I listen too much) and it’s not hard to see why it’s going down a storm.

It’s also a joy to a see music video line up bang on to what I as a listener envisioned in my head, down to the shots and camera angles. Billie on the flooded rooftop is such a star turn.

Wishlight and bess marvin like this.
  16. Random but the vocal take on “Your Power” is completely gutting. That stem alone should be worth millions.

75dollars, myblood, Wishlight and 8 others like this.
  17. Can we talk about her voice on Male Fantasy? It's on another level and she never used it like that.

18. “Male Fantasy” is one of my faves

19. 7.6 score from Pitchfork:

heavymetalGAGA and BrokenHearts like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.