Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Tiger Suit, Dec 30, 2018.

1. *2012 war flashbacks*

I hope for Billie’s sake that Pitchfork et al. aren’t as relentless with her as they were about Lana. That was...an embarrassing time for music journalism, and looks even more so now

2. Oh yeah, it was a rough time. It's so weird that Pitchfork never even mentioned Billie yet. Maybe they'll be more sympathetic towards her, since she's writing/producing the record solely with her brother at home. Pitchfork is a mess in general, so who knows really.

Talent won in the end, Jon Caramanica was randomly stanning Lana in that podcast and they'll be doing a special episode on her.

3. Honestly, fuck Pitchfork. They're still catering to the crowd of "Where's the real music!1?!" in 20-goddamn-19.

constantino, Rem, Kuhleezi and 9 others like this.
  4. Ok but where are the moody bops? I need another my boy/crown.

spaceship likes this.
  5. I’ve yet to see “industry plant” used unirocinally by someone who doesn’t have an IQ of 2.

It’s almost like record labels heavily promote artists they think they can make profit off, or something crazy like that.

constantino, Rem, An Insider and 13 others like this.
  6. Also this isn’t really true, I think Pitchfork just really don’t like piling accolades on artists who broke through without their support. They treated Brockhampton oddly for a while too, seemingly because they were late to the party.

constantino, Jonathan27, Rem and 11 others like this.
  7. I agree, but they’re already super late on Billie. If you search her name on their website, nothing shows up. That’s odd for an artist like her and it seems like they’re just delaying the lashings to when her album drops.

8. I think maybe I just have an issue with how they (and other reviewers to an extent) always seem to absolutely nitpick the slightest critiques in any album considered vaguely 'pop', whereas they'll bend over backwards to write off other quirks in alternative/rock albums as an "artistic choice".

9. Jon Caramanica has questionable taste when it comes to pop music. A few of the artists he mentioned on that episode he enjoyed purely because it made him nostalgic for the kind of hip hop/rap he listened to when he was younger, and specifically pointed out the more alternative youth culture (ugh) associated with those artists. Billie has all of those same characteristics, the only difference is the fact that she’s more pop and here’s my hot take, is 2019’s answer to 1999 Britney Spears. She’s young, talented, and “industry plant” (ughx2) or not, is amassing a huge following quickly. My guess is that he doesn’t have that same fondness or nostalgia for teen pop as he does for hip hop when he discusses the other artists he included like Blueface, so he just doesn’t get it. In this case, I almost feel like the image of the artist plays more of a role in how he perceives the artist because Billie’s bops...... are there.

TL;DR: I hate Jon Caramanica. He also doesn’t like Golden Hour or E•MO•TION so he can choke.

10. The way he dismisses pop records and records a one hour long episode about Bad Bunny (who is great, but c’mon) is weird.

11. I have such a love/hate relationship with Pitchfork because when they decide to actually offer proper insightful commentary it's usually bang-on. And then sometimes they just post utter garbage. Their Number 1 Angel review still haunts me.

12. I'm still a little peeved that Pitchfork rated Jorja Smith's debut album higher than Dirty Computer, honestly.

constantino, Jonathan27, Rem and 9 others like this.
  13. Industry plant queen tibb

soratami, Kuhleezi and slaybellz like this.
  14. sjdfkdkfskd

Jorja Smith is talented and all—and I like plenty of her songs—but that remains a wtf moment for me.

constantino, Rem, Kuhleezi and 6 others like this.
  15. Coming up in "album artwork to terrify everyone":

16. I'm here for it. Suits the aesthetic to her last two singles.

superultra likes this.
  17. This is already iconic.

clean your wig fridge likes this.
  18. I fucking love this. Nightmare pop queen.

clean your wig fridge likes this.
  19. 2014

2014 Moderator

'Industry plant' needs to die. It means...nothing?

20. I am so hyped.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.