Billie Piper

• Thread starter Deleted member 5343
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5343

Love this album.
I have the UK version and the Japanese one.
'Day & Night' was a great comeback single and 'Something Deep Inside' was a satisfying follow-up. I adore 'Walk Of Life' but wish they had released it later on and put out 'The Tide Is High' as was planned. Atomic Kitten had a No.1 with this and I think Billie could have had too.
The original version of 'Something Deep Inside' is fab and I love the B-Sides.

Anyone else a fan?

I love this album to this day still! A pop classic, great single choices and especially love the tracks Safe with me & Promises!

It's an accomplished album, but quite where she could have gone afterwards isn't clear. The Motiv8 remix of Something Deep Inside, despite cutting her spoken word section, is dreamy. Misfocusing is praise-worthy indeed. The Blondie cover is polite and nicely arranged if nothing else, but even though she kind of cut everything short, I do think there wasn't anything left from it to release. A really great pop album though.

D

Deleted member 5343

I think 'Promises' would have made a great final single.

The album itself is great and still sounds fresh 10 yrs on.

Undisco_Me said:
Misfocusing is praise-worthy indeed. .

Absolutley, It's also a really personal song (..Well.. at the time) for her, you can get where she was coming from on that paticular track, she suffered a lot of abuse from teenage girls/press, The song truly captures her vunerable side, unlike anything on her Debut LP.

spillett said:
I love the B-Sides.

I forgot to mention my love for her Bsides from this era, Especially Tinted Eyes & Caress The Gold, The Sleazesisters remix of Day and Night is also pretty amazing, its by far one of the best remixes out there, very 2000!

D

Deleted member 5343

anyone know where i can download the bsides
'so deep'
and
'b to the i'

??

I love this album too. The first two singles were fantastic, the third not quite as good but still ok - shame it ended a great chart run for her. It's one of those few albums I can listen to all the way through without skipping any tracks, although Ring My Bell almost has me reaching for the 'next track' button. I had Safe With me on my playlist the other day which is still lovely - especially the vocals in the last minute or so. Misfocusing is my ultimate favourite though. She was in a bar I was at a few months ago apparently - I didn't see her there but if I had done I'd've told I love her second album!

On asking where she could have gone from there, I think she went the way she wanted. You could tell from the Walk of Life single her heart wasn't in it. She'd fallen in love, and wanted to live like most other 18 year olds do - hanging out with her boyfriend, getting drunk and doing very little. Fair play to her, she did just that and went on to have greater success in another field.

spillett said:
'so deep'
and
'b to the i'

??

AllStar7 said:
My favorite Bille Piper song is Makin' My Way (Anyway That I Can). She sounds amazing on that song and it's so uplifting!

I don't know any of these songs. What were they one?
The B sides I have are First Love (love that one!), Tinted Eyes, Caress The Gold and G.H.E.T.T.O.U.T.

I've got a lot of time for Billie AKA Rose Tyler. I really liked her as a popstar, and Walk Of Life has so many great moments on it. Her first album is really quite good for that genre. Honey To The Bee is luscious and Girlfriend recalls the girl group pop acts of the sixties but with a nineties twist. Love Groove (the song she actually wrote) is more mature than the rest of her output.

V

vasilios

Booers said:
spillett said:
'so deep'
and
'b to the i'

??

AllStar7 said:
My favorite Bille Piper song is Makin' My Way (Anyway That I Can). She sounds amazing on that song and it's so uplifting!

The B sides I have are First Love (love that one!), Tinted Eyes, Caress The Gold and G.H.E.T.T.O.U.T.

I think Makin' My Way (Anyway That I Can) was on the Pokemon Movie ost?

D

Deleted member 5343

vasilios said:
Booers said:
spillett said:
'so deep'
and
'b to the i'

??

AllStar7 said:

I think Makin' My Way (Anyway That I Can) was on the Pokemon Movie ost?

It's on the Japanese version of the Walk Of Life album.

'So Deep' was a Japanese bonus track for Honey To The B, and 'B to the I' was a leak and I believe it was touted as the first single (it comes across as a bit of a theme song) but was ultimately removed from the first album's track listing altogether. I may be wrong; I'm pulling that from my hazy memory. They're both pretty much filler material, you're not missing much.

'Makin' My Way' was on the Japanese album and then a slightly remixed version was released on the Pokemon soundtrack. Similarly, the Japanese version of Walk of Life has a more organic sounding version of 'Something Deep Inside' than was eventually released on the UK album and as a single - some of the remixes, specifically the Steel & Holliday Mix, are based on the original Japanese version with the spoken section of the middle eight intact.

Walk of Life is a fantastic album - 'Day and Night' is to this day one of my favourite pop songs ever. I remember at the time being totally in awe of her new look and sound, but she was obviously set up to rival Britney's blossoming career at the time.

Eryck Happiness said:
Thinking on it, I think my favourite Billie moment is "C'mon c'mon... REMIX!" at the beginning of 'Something Deep Inside'.

My favourite Billie moment is a mishead lyric on Honey To The Bee where she sings, "Honey to the bee...c'mon and fuck me!" I swear to God I thought that was how the lyric went and I believed it for years until fairly recently. I remember thinking at the time, "How edgy!"