Billie Piper

• Thread starter Deleted member 5343
  • Start date
The promo for Because We Want To tells me that Britney got it absolutely right with her debut. Her label wanted a cartoonish promo with Britney dancing with CGI people on a record player and she pushed for what we eventually got - a genius and iconic video. I still preferred Billie overall though.

I dislike the way she discredits her music career. I can't imagine ever being embarrassed about pop music. Day & Night, the Motiv8 remix of Something Deep Inside and Misfocusing are huge gems from a particular era in music.

I love the 'Because We Want To' video because the CGI was shit even at the time. And a rhino bouncer? Why?

To just add to the overall cheesiness 90s bubblegum pop feel of the video. It was 1998 though, so people probably thought it was awesome back then.

D

Deleted member 5343

I think for her it's because when people mention her music career the first thing they talk about is 'Because We Want To' and it was very cheesy and a tad embarrassing.

It's not like people say "So, Billie - you had a really great pop career, especially Day & Night and how cool was Misfocussing on your 2nd album" they just go straight for 'Because We Want To' and so she dismisses it.

She has said she liked Honey To The Bee and as I said, on the recent Graham Norton she seemed a lot more positive about it and didn't slate her music at all really as she has done in the past.

If you read her autobiography you don't get the feeling she hated the music back then, it was just the way of life and how it was destroying her, so I am happy as she looks really happy now and being successful at what she always wanted to do.

I was really a stan back in the days of her music career, I've got almost everything published by her as a musician and 'Walk Of Life' was such a great album that I still get shivers when I play it now. I would have chosen the singles a bit different. 'Day & Night' still the first single and then in August 'The Tide is High' with a nice summer video and finally relesing 'Safe with me' for Christmas time and that's it. I also found the visuals and covers of the 'Walk Of Life' era great back then and they haven't dated that much at all

Her lowest chart position before Walk Of Life was #4. She was really successful. If only she'd worked with Richard X! She would have made some huge #1 songs with him.

D

Deleted member 5343

I don't think the single choices were bad for Walk of Life apart from maybe Walk of Life itself. It was maybe too grown up and people just didn't want to hear that from her right then. You hear that song and Misfocussing and it makes you think how much potential a 3rd album could have had.
I always loved Run That By Me as well. That had single potential as well as Promises.

Oh I loved Billie!! More her 2nd album then the first. Day and Night and Something Deep Inside I absolutely love! I've read her autobiography alot. I think some of her embarrassment as it were, for her pop music stems from the fact she feels she's a bad singer, she felt a fraud when getting cheered though she was miming to songs, and then what was happening in her personal life, the way Five fans attacked her for going out with Rich (I still remember that Smash Hits Party moment!) the drinking and drugs. Her autobiography is really insightful and it's no wonder when Chris Evans came along she decided to throw in the pop towel. To be honest, I think if she continued it would have destroyed her and we might have had an Amy Winehouse situation.

I would love a 3rd album though, with a few singles and then push out a proper Greatest Hits. Sadly I guess this will never happen.

D

Deleted member 5343

I was re-reading some of her autobiography last night (well the bits about her music) I realised that she mentions more than a few times that when she got signed she kept saying she liked RnB music and that All Saints were one of her favourite groups. She even states that the demo for Because We Want To was more RnB in the beginning she ended up detesting the cheesy pop sound of how it ended up sounding. The record label had told her initially they wanted her to have longevity and be the next Madonna.

She was a lot happier with her 2nd album as she had more input into songwriting and the sound. It's funny as she says she can't believe they wrote a song with the title Something Deep Inside "what were we thinking?" She says haha.

It's interesting to read too that she was fully aware of Britney coming up and stealing her thunder. She states that Baby One More Time was everything that Because We Want To was not and that recording for the 2nd album was a lot to do with making sure they got everything right. They had massive success with Day & Night but then she says Britney came back with Oops... And it was much bigger.

She also says it was her that brought Tide Is High to the label as an idea and they liked it. So if it wasn't for Billie doing that and then decided not to release it as a single maybe Atomic Kitten would never have even known about it LOL. I'd like to think if Billie had released it herself it too would have been a no.1 but who knows.

I still love both her albums, especially Walk of Life which hasn't aged hardly at all.

Very proud to find and bump this old thread!

Finally, I have arrived! I'm one of the biggest Billie Piper fans that you'll ever meet. Glad to find this already existing thread of Billie Piper.

Now, lets talk music, Billie Piper's music. What a voice! Like a naturally soulful voice that you just can't quite believe is coming out of this girl. What amazing production involved here! Especially on her amazing second album. Misfocusing, Run that by me, making my way and Walk of life are incredible! My favorite four of the second album. And a close fifth being Ring my bell.

After Walk of life, Billie was just screaming for a decent third album, with her talent. Incredible talent she had! As a singer. A beautiful personality. Her music was insanely catchy while also coming across as genuine and heartfelt.

And talk about looks, how gorgeous was Billie Piper! Such a beautiful face and voice. There is "noone" like her as a pop artist, nor will there ever be. That's why it sucks BIG time that she will probably never come back into the pop scene with a new album.

There is so much colorful texture to the carefully crafted production in Billie's music, which perfectly showcases her amazing voice. Surely one of the best pop artists to ever be inspired in the wake of teen bubblegum pop, with a dash of cool edgy R&B pop thrown in, which did wonders for Billie's pop style.

Also because of Billie's immense talent as a singer, different genres of pop worked very well with her voice and persona. She wants you, Walk of life, Honey to the bee, Misfocusing, Ring my bell, etc.

I'm also another big fan and admirer of the photography and cover artwork for Billie's Walk of life period. It just said cool and sophisticated!

Most of Billie's b-sides were also excellent! Caress the gold, What's missing, It takes two (cover), Call me, Last Christmas (cover)!

I never watched much her her acting but as a singer, Billie will always be one of my top favorite pop artists forever!

D

Deleted member 5343

Wow you really are a big fan.

I love her too but I can admit that her voice wasn't the strongest, although she had a nice tone and texture to her vocal. I really enjoy both her albums as although they had a lot of pure pop on them they also had some sophisticated tracks too like 'misfocusing' or 'I Dream'.

I think it's safe to safe acting is her passion now and music is well and truly in the past. I do think it would be nice to see her do a musical in the future, either on stage or in a movie.

Billie Piper had one of the best voices in pop music, very rich, soulful, powerful. And so much personality within her voice! Very impressive for just a 16 year old! Some of the Amazon reviews said that her voice sounded a little processed on her first album, but I don't really hear that. If so, it only helped make her voice sound even cooler (better)! However on Walk of life, her voice did sound a lot better! Billie Piper was in her prime on her Walk of life album. Ahhh, and then she had to cut the cord so short afterwards. Such a shame. If Billie had wanted to continue making music after Walk of life, and she was in a healthy state, I know that her third album would have been excellent! But at least we do have "Walk of life", and it is excellent.

I love Misfocusing! Indeed a great song with equally great lyrics! And it's such an awesome song to end Walk of life with.

He/Him
Don't get me wrong, I did like her voice (I was a big fan of both her albums back in the day), but I think you're being a bit biased regarding her voice... spillett's actually right, it wasn't really all that strong. She herself has said in the past that she had absolutely no idea which trickery they pulled in the studio to make her sound like she did, because she never actually recognized herself when hearing her songs...

And you're absolutely spot on about Misfocusing. Fantastic pop song!

Don't get me wrong, I did like her voice (I was a big fan of both her albums back in the day), but I think you're being a bit biased regarding her voice... spillett's actually right, it wasn't really all that strong. She herself has said in the past that she had absolutely no idea which trickery they pulled in the studio to make her sound like she did, because she never actually recognized herself when hearing her songs...

And you're absolutely spot on about Misfocusing. Fantastic pop song!
Hmm, really!? Well if true, that's some really awesome studio trickery! No no..I bet that if I could hear Billie perform live from a recorded video, and not have the song lip syncd that she'd sound about the same and you'd notice that her voice is just as powerful and soulful. Especially from her Walk of life time period. I know my girls. Their vocal abilities.