Billie Piper

• Thread starter Deleted member 5343
  • Start date
On the debt point: £9 million seems like a lot of money to have spent without international promo - was there any? Or is a lot of it just accrued interest? So strange.

There was a whole campaign in 1999 to try and break it into USA, which was probably expensive.

Both eras were also promoted in most markets at the time (Europe, Australia, Japan... but also indirectly in Canada, South Africa, South America and SEA).

There was defenitely a big push for the second album campaign in some European countries (from what I can recall, her music videos were heavily on rotation in Spain and she made several appearances in national TV shows).

In Canada we had a kids music show called the Hit List and every year they'd do a few episodes focusing on British pop. They bumped into Billie at her record company and did an interview with her there, it must've been before Day and Night came out because they didn't play any of her videos. Every time the host cut to another artist's video Billie would glare at her then turned away sulking

Day And Night, felt like a clear attempt to have a more American sound. It's her only single I can imagine Britney singing either.
‘Day and Night’ really was that song.

It felt so elite, especially that extended video intro. You could literally imagine popstars of the time either desperate to get their hands on it, or jealous that they had not been able to record it, because Billie came hard with that track. The vocals, the hard ass slamming pulsing beats, the dancing…everything was so elite, that this was clearly a defiant message that Britain could keep up with what the US popstars were churning out at the time!

Still to this day, I cannot imagine walking past a laundromat and not spinning around throwing detergent around.

It felt so elite, especially that extended video intro. You could literally imagine popstars of the time either desperate to get their hands on it, or jealous that they had not been able to record it, because Billie came hard with that track. The vocals, the hard ass slamming pulsing beats, the dancing…everything was so elite, that this was clearly a defiant message that Britain could keep up with what the US popstars were churning out at the time!

Still to this day, I cannot imagine walking past a laundromat and not spinning around throwing detergent around.

Well, Billie co-wrote it, so that wasn't going to happen.

I'm a reverse popstar Billie fan; when she launched I just found the whole package obnoxious, but since following her fantastic acting career, I've gone back to the music.

Fell down a youtube performance hole and honestly I couldn't find one performance where she looked particularly happy. Especially anything around album two, the scowl! Poor Billie.

The Day And Night video, is truly early 00s realness and I live for it.