Björk - Fossora

he/him
Lil update

B40-F877-B-64-F4-4-EED-9-E02-ABEE6-AC2452-C.jpg

Ovule wasn't the one I expected but mind blown.

Also been listening to the vinyl for the first time and Side B with Sorrowful Soil, Ancestress and Faguuuurt is one of the best sides ever? The way it is a three act goodbye to her mother is nothing short of brillant. Faguuurt may seem like a cute interlude but I feel it's more a connection with Icelandic history, the ancestors, the soil they are buried in and now her mother is too. It is a stunning moment coming after all the heaviness if you put it in perspective. It could be sung at the funeral, the mourning, the moment you try to see the bigger picture.

Fossora and Renaissance really are my albums of the year. Couldn't choose. The confident both women show in what they do it remarkable.

Honestly same. I really do like it, I just for whatever reason don't go back to it a whole lot as a unit.
I feel I needed a break because it is really heavy. Her always talking about Gabber parties and mushrooms didn't quite match it really. There is an underlying complexity that's not easy to swallow. Not muscially - some of her most approachable songs in ages are on Fossora. More in a fundamental thoughts way. I don't know. Somehow her mushroom/underground/digging imagery also makes lots of sense.

Last edited:
Björk is a difficult one because she's the very definition of an album artist, and an album artist who demands a lot of focus from her listeners at that. For me anyway, her work requires a lot of attention to enjoy; I don't just put on Fossora while cooking or working or anything else that might distract. It's more akin to reading a novel or watching a complex film. You just won't get the same effect if you're not fully in it.

I think I just enjoy the idea of mum's albums more than the actual experience of listening to them nowadays. I get joy from all the visuals and the world building around it she does, but I physically play these later albums less and less and it's something I'm at peace with.

Most of the remixes the past few eras apart from maybe the Fever Ray and Forest Swords ones are totally superfluous too.

Björk is a difficult one because she's the very definition of an album artist, and an album artist who demands a lot of focus from her listeners at that. For me anyway, her work requires a lot of attention to enjoy; I don't just put on Fossora while cooking or working or anything else that might distract. It's more akin to reading a novel or watching a complex film. You just won't get the same effect if you're not fully in it.
Absolutely correct but at the same time I made a Fossorance playlist and shuffle Fossora and Renaissance quite often which is so against the respective album's concepts and kind of absurd but it is such a crazy ride and I always have the best time.

Weirdly enough, it's the opposite with me. I mean, yeah, the first time through a Bjork album, I do have to focus just as you described. But after that initial listen, it works great as background music precisely because it's not in any way pop music. It's like classical music in that the words blend in with the music so much that it feels almost instrumental.

Reactions: He