Björk - General Discussion | Page 80 | The Popjustice Forum

Björk - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by ADolla, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Vespertine
    Homogenic
    Medulla
    Utopia
    Volta

Vulnicura
    Debut
    Biophilia

2. Debut is top 5 for me, every song is a classic.

3. I'm always surprised that Debut is always at bottom of people's lists. I just adore every song, just such a classic album.

4. Debut is good still but nowadays I don't really seek it outside Human Behaviour, Venus as a Boy, Come to Me, Crying and Play Dead if we're counting that

5. Homogenic
    Vespertine
    Vulnicura
    Debut
    Medúlla
    Volta

Utopia
    Biophilia

I sure hope she has something new for us soon too! Has there been any rumblings of whether she is working on new material yet?

6. I don´t know but next year could be realistic. Maybe around her summer tour she had originally planed for this year.

Deleted member 33196 likes this.
  7. I was about to see her twice in the next 10 days but Iceland lowered attendance levels again so they cancelled. Well always wanted to go to Iceland anyway.

Besides that for the first time I am properly listening to Black Lake string version. I am surprised how well it still works without that epic bass breakdown and the other production elements. It makes it all just more emotionally disturbing for most of it but I love it.

Black Lake really is a masterpiece and whoever says she completely lost it is just wrong. Vulnicura houses not many, but a few of her very best. And even with Utopia being a very special record even that has some incredible moments. The way The Gate moves her from Vulnicura to Utopia is just pure bliss, speaking of bliss Blissing Me is gorgeous too.

cpr, mcuk, Cutlery and 2 others like this.
  8. Experiencing “Black Lake” in a 360-degree room with a bunch of other people at the MoMA was great.

xOJakeXo, mcuk, Maki and 2 others like this.
  9. I have been there and I went two days in a row because I loved that experience so much. The exhibition itself was nice - seeing the swan dress, the robots, the Declare Independence handwritten lyrics note and stuff - but the Black Lake room was incredible. I also spend more time that I should have in the video room but seeing all her visual works in a row on a big-ish screen was amazing too.

man.tis.shrimp likes this.
  10. Yes! Interviewed by an Icelandic newspaper roughly a month ago, she said she has "quite a bit" of new material brewing and that she kept working at home in Iceland during quarantine, assisted by Bergur Þórisson, who's part of the Utopia/Cornucopia team. Earlier in the year, in pre-pandemic times, she was spotted with Sufi jazz legend Dhafer Youssef in Tunisia and recording in Greece.

She also added though that her process is still set to her usual slow rhythms and stated unequivocally no new music is going to be released this year. "I dare not promise anything but aim for 2021 or 2022."

11. Homogenic
    Debut
    Vulnicura

Selmasongs
    Volta
    Medulla
    Utopia
    Biophilia

That top 5 is untouchable for me and I have so many amazing memories of those eras, the Post and Vespertine tours were amazing.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  12. Homogenic
    Verspertine
    Selmasongs
    Medulla
    Volta
    Vulnicura
    Utopia
    Biophilia

13. The only Björk album I really can't get into is Utopia. I love The Gate, and I like Blissing Me. Has anyone else had a similar experience with it, and do you have any tips on how to get in to the album?
    I just have trouble getting my head around all the sounds. It's feels a bit overproduced.

beautifulmorning likes this.
  14. I always find myself enjoying it more than I expected when I listen to it, but my attention / endurance does wear thin about halfway. That’s perhaps common with her albums of the last decade though. I still think it’s pretty great in its own way, and would seek it out before Biophilia.

bonnieetclyde likes this.
  15. LTG

LTG

I made a shortened playlist (removed Body Memory, Features Creatures, Sue Me and Tabula Rasa). That makes it about 25 mins shorter and a bit less demanding than the whole thing..

16. As long as it is I somehow still couldn't remove much, especially not the mentioned ones.

17. LTG

LTG

There's nothing on the album that I think is bad, it's just a very dense album and its length can make it a bit of a struggle.

18. Biophilia is the first Björk album I heard in full. I love it. It's 10/10. I have both Biophilia and Biophilia Live on vinyl. That era is in my Björk Top 5.

19. Biophilia is her worst album. It veers too far into being purely academic (although I get a bit of a kii that the woman who did the academic notes on the app lectured me at university, and also marked my dissertation on Britney Spears ddd). Whereas the rest of her work can be dissected as such while also actually sounding like good music.

Vulnicura (and Lemonade) was timed perfectly for a very long and messy relationship break-up for me, so it’s kind of etched onto my soul and I adore it. Up there with Vespertine and Homogenic for me. Utopia isn’t far behind.

I personally think Medulla and Volta would be lower-tier as I just don’t enjoy the songs as much. And I must admit, I still need to spend more time with Post and Debut.

20. I also struggle with Utopia, even though I've found I like the individual tracks more when I have all her albums on shuffle. I think the issue is that, as many have already pointed out, it's very monolithic and dense when taken as a full listen. It just feels long in a way that none of her other records have.

Maybe I also struggle to connect with some of the themes, which are very specific and personal (bordering on insular in Features Creatures, Sue Me and Tabula Rasa). But that has never stopped me with music before and it certainly didn't for Vulnicura, so I don't really know why this feels different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.